Health & Fitness

I Might Be Quite ill

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>
offbeat On November 18, 2022

london, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Apr 09, 2018 @ 21:05:50
about November 2016 I developed a pain in my head.. at the same time there was a story in the news about a complaint called Arteritis ( not Artheritis ) and the symptoms sounded like mine. apparently, Arteritis can cause blindness unless you are taking a very strong steroid. so, not fancying being blind I went to the hospital. it turned out that I didn't have that but the consultant told me to get to a neurologist and get a biopsy done. i haven't gone to a neurologist and still have the head pain .... sometimes it's greater than other days, but it's still there. i'm going to live in denial for as long as possible because I personally feel that it's better to live a normal life until it becomes too problematic to do so. anyone else experienced this, or know someone who has?
cole On October 22, 2023

Stirling, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Apr 09, 2018 @ 21:50:18
Living in denial sounds like a terrible idea. Go get it seen to! Do you have any other symptoms? Do you take painkillers regularly? Painkillers like Cocodamol can cause rebound headaches which creates a vicious cycle. These types of pain meds are terrible for headaches and cause all manner of other issues (stomach issues, constipation, restless sleep)
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#3New Post! Apr 09, 2018 @ 23:14:21
If you wait long enough something that was treatable may become uneatable.

Until you get it checked out by a neurologist try a line in a coconut.

london, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Apr 10, 2018 @ 00:31:03
@cole Said

Living in denial sounds like a terrible idea. Go get it seen to! Do you have any other symptoms? Do you take painkillers regularly? Painkillers like Cocodamol can cause rebound headaches which creates a vicious cycle. These types of pain meds are terrible for headaches and cause all manner of other issues (stomach issues, constipation, restless sleep)

I take paracetamol before going to work .... but that's as much for my steel capped boots ( very painful ).. and yes, my sleep ( once excellent ) has deteriorated ..I even had a nightmare about my ex last night. absolute hell.

london, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Apr 10, 2018 @ 00:35:00
@Erimitus Said

If you wait long enough something that was treatable may become uneatable.

Until you get it checked out by a neurologist try a line in a coconut.

hmm.. interestingly, i'm kinda expecting that ... since Robin Williams left us, I've been pondering.

#6New Post! Apr 10, 2018 @ 01:11:52
@offbeat Said

hmm.. interestingly, i'm kinda expecting that ... since Robin Williams left us, I've been pondering.

I'm the same way. I don't go running to a doctor for every little brain animism.

Suicide is always an option but once you choose it you can't change your mind later.

I told my doctor that I see no more reason to continue living than not continue living. She said I need a psychiatrist.

I picture a mental health facility as somewhere between Clockwork Orange and One flew over the Cuckoo's nest. I can self medicate, thank you very much.

london, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Apr 10, 2018 @ 11:18:30
I think robin Williams did the right thing.he didn't want to become a husk of his former self.there should be assisted dying like they have in Switzerland.
cole On October 22, 2023

Stirling, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Apr 10, 2018 @ 15:12:02
You all sound like old coffin dodgers, lost in the pits of despair.

I hear that sometimes it's tough to see the light, tough to see the point of going on. It's funny I've thought about Robin Williams a few times in the last couple of weeks mainly the movie "What Dreams May Come" and the mortal sin of committing suicide and find it ironic that he decided to top himself. Yeah I know it was just a movie, but you never know.

#9New Post! Apr 10, 2018 @ 16:26:15
@cole Said

You all sound like old coffin dodgers, lost in the pits of despair.

I hear that sometimes it's tough to see the light, tough to see the point of going on. It's funny I've thought about Robin Williams a few times in the last couple of weeks mainly the movie "What Dreams May Come" and the mortal sin of committing suicide and find it ironic that he decided to top himself. Yeah I know it was just a movie, but you never know.

C: You all sound like old coffin dodgers, lost in the pits of despair.

The term ‘coffin dodger’ is new to me. I am not sure what it means.

There is really no more reason to continue to live than not to. The whole point is that it is pointless. ECC 1:1.

Have you read Camus’ [Myth of Sisyphus]?

I wonder why suicide is a mortal sin. I suppose it is difficult to repent when you are dead.

As I understand it a sin is an intentional immoral act. In most societies murder is considered immoral. In some cultures suicide is acceptable. Suicide is, I suppose, self murder and, of course, deadly, hence mortal sin.

Murder, according to Moses, is one of the top ten things you shouldn’t oughta do.

I wonder if any species, other than human, commit suicide.
cole On October 22, 2023

Stirling, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Apr 10, 2018 @ 17:27:38
@Erimitus Said

C: You all sound like old coffin dodgers, lost in the pits of despair.

The term ‘coffin dodger’ is new to me. I am not sure what it means.

There is really no more reason to continue to live than not to. The whole point is that it is pointless. ECC 1:1.

Have you read Camus’ [Myth of Sisyphus]?

I wonder why suicide is a mortal sin. I suppose it is difficult to repent when you are dead.

As I understand it a sin is an intentional immoral act. In most societies murder is considered immoral. In some cultures suicide is acceptable. Suicide is, I suppose, self murder and, of course, deadly, hence mortal sin.

Murder, according to Moses, is one of the top ten things you shouldn’t oughta do.

I wonder if any species, other than human, commit suicide.

Lemmings? well if you believe Disney. Although naturally lemmings do not willfully throw themselves to their doom.

In order to commit suicide you first have to be aware that your actions will end your life, most animals probably wouldn't know this. Some ants and other insects will sacrifice themselves in order to save the colony. This is probably more self sacrifice than suicide as we know it.

"coffin dodger" - a slang term for an elderly person. They usually tend to be cantankerous
Komentenmelodie On May 25, 2018

#11New Post! Apr 10, 2018 @ 17:37:40
Is it "coffin dodging" or just being realistic? I have in passed witnessed people who are terminally ill waiting for there time. After some time even the strongest pain killers do not work and there is no more that can be done for them except to try & make them comfortable (physically). I do think that assisted suicide should be a matter of choice. As to the scriptural "rules" that ultimately is a matter for the individual, this subject of assisted suicide is a very difficult one & is very individual no two cases can be alike.
cole On October 22, 2023

Stirling, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Apr 10, 2018 @ 17:59:17
@Komentenmelodie Said

Is it "coffin dodging" or just being realistic? I have in passed witnessed people who are terminally ill waiting for there time. After some time even the strongest pain killers do not work and there is no more that can be done for them except to try & make them comfortable (physically). I do think that assisted suicide should be a matter of choice. As to the scriptural "rules" that ultimately is a matter for the individual, this subject of assisted suicide is a very difficult one & is very individual no two cases can be alike.

It's a very touchy subject. I am an advocate for assisted suicide, I do believe it should be an individual's choice if they are suffering from a terminal or a life limiting illness.

Although I do feel we have wandered off from the op's original topic. Should he seek medical help or is it sometimes better not to know?

Not knowing was very much my mum's philosophy. She hated Drs. Her dad died of late diagnosed lung cancer even though he had visited the Drs several times to complain of coughs, chest pains etc they didn't realise it was lung cancer till it was terminal. She also didn't visit drs very often and ultimately died due to COPD having been admitted to hospital with a chest infection and refusing medical intervention.

#13New Post! Apr 10, 2018 @ 19:49:51
@cole Said

Lemmings? well if you believe Disney. Although naturally lemmings do not willfully throw themselves to their doom.

In order to commit suicide you first have to be aware that your actions will end your life, most animals probably wouldn't know this. Some ants and other insects will sacrifice themselves in order to save the colony. This is probably more self sacrifice than suicide as we know it.

"coffin dodger" - a slang term for an elderly person. They usually tend to be cantankerous

Good points

london, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Apr 11, 2018 @ 18:13:20
@cole Said

It's a very touchy subject. I am an advocate for assisted suicide, I do believe it should be an individual's choice if they are suffering from a terminal or a life limiting illness.

Although I do feel we have wandered off from the op's original topic. Should he seek medical help or is it sometimes better not to know?

Not knowing was very much my mum's philosophy. She hated Drs. Her dad died of late diagnosed lung cancer even though he had visited the Drs several times to complain of coughs, chest pains etc they didn't realise it was lung cancer till it was terminal. She also didn't visit drs very often and ultimately died due to COPD having been admitted to hospital with a chest infection and refusing medical intervention.

I actually think I have something pretty bad ..and it's not a case of not wanting to know, because at this stage, I think I do know. but, I don't want to go through a prolonged, painful course of treatment in the hope of coming out the other side so that I can have a few more months/years doing exactly the same things that I always do. i'd rather go through the pain once and then wave goodbye.
cole On October 22, 2023

Stirling, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Apr 12, 2018 @ 09:20:27
@offbeat Said

I actually think I have something pretty bad ..and it's not a case of not wanting to know, because at this stage, I think I do know. but, I don't want to go through a prolonged, painful course of treatment in the hope of coming out the other side so that I can have a few more months/years doing exactly the same things that I always do. i'd rather go through the pain once and then wave goodbye.

If you think it's cancer, get to the dr, even if you don't want to prolong it and sometimes I myself am in two minds how i'd approach it. My uncle died of Hodgkins Lymphoma having battled it for 10 years, he spent most of that in bed puking in buckets. While it might be great to have more time to see kids grow up if I was spending it in bed rotting away I think I'd rather just go on my own terms. Anyways from what I know of cancer you won't want to go through that pain. Without heavy duty pain meds the pain is unbearable.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs