Human Consciousness And The Big Bang

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...18 19 20
templeofned On February 04, 2009

Bloomington, Illinois
#286New Post! Feb 03, 2008 @ 22:31:04
@billposters Said
Something that has troubled me recently regards evolutionay theory and in particular, "big bang theology". If we maintain that the universe was created out of nothing and we all are indeed just a consistency of star dust and gasses, where in the equation does human conciousness begin? How does inanimate matter develop into something living, breathing, and thinking?

Perhaps it points to the Universe itself being conscious.
shadowy On March 20, 2014

Glasgow, United Kingdom
#287New Post! Feb 05, 2008 @ 12:13:53
@templeofned Said

It doesn't point to that.
calonso On January 16, 2014

Orlando, Florida
#288New Post! Feb 05, 2008 @ 17:54:46
Quote:

"THE ALL IS MIND; The Universe is Mental." -- The Kybalion.
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#289New Post! Feb 06, 2008 @ 11:20:24
@the7thdimension Said
i think this entire argument is a scham. religion and science have both cause horrible atrocities. thousands of years of holy war have been fought for religion. scientists have created the atomic bomb, pharmaceuticals that harm people, disease. both are in question, in fact the only thing that isn't in question is spirituality because it is a study of the self. no one has ever harmed another person in the quest for a deep understanding of the self, its only when you involve politics that greed sets in.

Science has led to advancements which are less than moral, true, but these are outnumbered and outweighed by the products of science which have improved quality of life for billions of people. We wouldn't sitting at our PCs, debating with people thousands of miles away if it wasn't for the scientific method. We probably would have died at childbirth or early infancy without modern medicine and vaccinations, and we would not have the freedom of knowledge to challenge traditional religious teachings. I will also accept that relgion is not wholly a bad thing. If it wasn't for religion, societies throughout history would have lacked the social cohesion to function properly, and we would not have such a civilised global society. On the other hand, we would not have nearly as much division and prejudice in society if magical thinking dissapeared today. When good scientists disagree over a theory, they don't kill each other. They don't hate each other, denounce each other or even dislike each other. They just sort it out logically, using evidence and human reason. I wish I could say the same about disagreements over religious teachings.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...18 19 20

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs