Sports

Howzat - The Cricket Forum

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 ...237 238 239 · >>
last_wave_of_summer On May 06, 2023

Canberra, Australia
#16New Post! Jul 12, 2013 @ 16:43:02
Can't blame Broad for not walking, his had a few lives today though. Then Haddin put Bell down right after it.
shadowen On March 22, 2024

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#17New Post! Jul 12, 2013 @ 17:50:38
mate i dont blame him for not walking, i blame the way the drs is used. If the idea (and publically it is) of the drs is to improve umpiring decisions and eliminate howlers then it needs to be taken out of the hands of the players. Let the players play and the umpires umpire. Outside of tennis i cant think of a single sport that gives players such power and places such restrictions on umpires in using appropriate technology. Could you imagine for example if rugby had similiar rules for the use of technology? I have always said fromthe very start that the way cricket uses drs is just illogical and doesnt actually achieve what it was brough tin to do..eliminate howlers. Instead players use it in situations where the decision is not a howler but rather a 50-50 decision...but oft times howlers go uncorrected because of how the drs is used.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#18New Post! Jul 13, 2013 @ 13:53:35
Watto just given out lbw to a ball that hawkeye says would have hit the outside top of leg stump by a poofteenth...but as the ump had given it out then the decision stands. Had the ump said not out then it would have required half the ball or more to be hitting the stump (according to hawkeye)...it is just another example of what's wrong with the use of drs.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#19New Post! Jul 13, 2013 @ 14:42:19
another appalling shot by cowan...another dismissal. Has a worse player ever batted at number 3 for us? How many times can he fail before he is finally dropped

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#20New Post! Jul 13, 2013 @ 14:43:01
no footwork...a big, expansive drive just before tea...just a bloody shocker by cowan

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#21New Post! Jul 13, 2013 @ 16:57:33
take nothing from the poms..they have bowled very well...on a dry, wearing pitch swan will probably be the difference but the drs is really having too big an impact.

Canberra, Australia
#22New Post! Jul 14, 2013 @ 05:23:19
Don't like the idea of the field umpires using the DRS because then it would be used for almost every little thing. What should happen is the 3rd umpire or the match referee should be watching the replay's and if they see something to question then go with the DRS more closely.

Canberra, Australia
#23New Post! Jul 14, 2013 @ 13:31:51
Gutting way to lose a Test match, the bad call on Broad makes it even more gutting to watch. I think Australia were the better team in the match but things went against us.

We really do need to sort out our batting though.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#24New Post! Jul 14, 2013 @ 14:24:08
@last_wave_of_summer Said

Don't like the idea of the field umpires using the DRS because then it would be used for almost every little thing. What should happen is the 3rd umpire or the match referee should be watching the replay's and if they see something to question then go with the DRS more closely.

Well i really dont know that they would. The ability for umpires to refer tot he 4th official for run outs has been around for years and yet umpires rarely call upon such assistance, instead they generally back themselves. Cant see why this mindset would suddenly change. Anyway, until you try it then its all hypothetical in terms of how often they would use it. Certainly the 3rd umpire/match referee should be watching every delivey and reviewing decisions if need be. One thing is for certain, if the aim of drs is to improve umpiring decisions then it needs to be taken out of the hands of players

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#25New Post! Jul 14, 2013 @ 14:26:04
@last_wave_of_summer Said

Gutting way to lose a Test match, the bad call on Broad makes it even more gutting to watch. I think Australia were the better team in the match but things went against us.

We really do need to sort out our batting though.

It was gutting but i could see it coming. How many times have we come close in such a run chase only to fall just short. It was a terrible shot by hads which is unfortunate as he had batted sensibly up until then. The ball was simply too short and wide to drive...he should have left it well alone.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#26New Post! Jul 14, 2013 @ 14:28:23
One of the problems with our batting was (as has been for years) the stubborn refusal to play deliveries on their merit. Too many blokes went out playing expansive, low percentage shots. Thing cowan (both times), siddle (both times), hads etc etc etc. Indeed, in the 2nd innings siddle just had to play straight, be compact and help see off anderson and allow hads to score the runs.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#27New Post! Jul 14, 2013 @ 14:32:05
All the talk on social media etc in england has been about 10-0...5-0 in each test series. Hopefully our lads can learn from the first test and continue to push the poms all the way. I reckon its nigh on impossible for us to now regain the Ashes in england. Assuming one of the remaining tests is weather effected and ends in a draw we now need to win probably 3 of the last 4 test matches. Definately dont see that happening. Had we won today, well it still would have been a big ask but who knows.

Really need to replace cowan though. No footwork, no disipline, poor judgement, poor shot selection...and most importantly of all...no bloody runs.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#28New Post! Jul 14, 2013 @ 14:33:24
As much as the result was gut wrenching it was one hell of a test match. How people could ever prefer odi's or t20's over tests i will never know.

Canberra, Australia
#29New Post! Jul 14, 2013 @ 14:40:04
@shadowen Said

Well i really dont know that they would. The ability for umpires to refer tot he 4th official for run outs has been around for years and yet umpires rarely call upon such assistance, instead they generally back themselves. Cant see why this mindset would suddenly change. Anyway, until you try it then its all hypothetical in terms of how often they would use it. Certainly the 3rd umpire/match referee should be watching every delivey and reviewing decisions if need be. One thing is for certain, if the aim of drs is to improve umpiring decisions then it needs to be taken out of the hands of players

We have seen it creep in to checking no-balls after a wicket fairly often though which is frustrating, maybe changing the rule to instead of the foot being behind the line it should be a good ball on or behind the line. Would make calling a no ball a lot clearer.

Canberra, Australia
#30New Post! Jul 14, 2013 @ 14:42:50
@shadowen Said

One of the problems with our batting was (as has been for years) the stubborn refusal to play deliveries on their merit. Too many blokes went out playing expansive, low percentage shots. Thing cowan (both times), siddle (both times), hads etc etc etc. Indeed, in the 2nd innings siddle just had to play straight, be compact and help see off anderson and allow hads to score the runs.

The pitch didn't have too many demons in it, good sensible batting and you could score runs. I disagree with t20 being the reason for our poor batting because batsmen like Cowan are getting out to bad shots and he rarely plays t20. Rogers I think has been a good selection, he seems to ad a bit more of a cool head in the top order.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 ...237 238 239 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs