Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
cobber On July 22, 2006

Deleted
Banned

Rockhampton, Australia
#1New Post! May 21, 2006 @ 20:50:18
Prime Minister John Howard was among three world leaders who said an Iranian bill, which reportedly would force non-Muslims to wear coloured badges in public, was akin to Nazi Germany.

However, Teheran emphatically denied the report, in a Canadian newspaper, that the law would force Jews, Christians and Zoroastrians to wear a yellow, red or blue strip of cloth, respectively, on their clothes.

The National Post newspaper, citing human rights groups, had reported that Iran's parliament had passed a law this week that set a public dress code and required non-Muslims to wear special insignia.

While acknowledging they had no details beyond the newspaper report, Mr Howard and leaders from the United States and Canada went on the offensive, all evoking the atrocities of Nazi Germany.

Mr Howard, speaking in Ottawa after a meeting with Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper, said the suggestion was further indication Iran was heading down the wrong path.

"If that (the report) is true, I would find it totally repugnant," Mr Howard told reporters before the report was debunked.

"It obviously echoes the most horrible period of genocide in the world's history and the marking of Jewish people with a mark on their clothing by the Nazis, and anything of that kind, would be totally repugnant to civilised countries.

"If it is the case, it's something that would just further indicate to me the nature of this regime.

"It's a calculated insult, if it's true, not only to Christians but most particularly to Jews."

Mr Howard was joined in the attack on Iran by the US and Canada, who said they had no details on the issue beyond the newspaper report.

"If you did have such an occurrence, whether it was in Iran or elsewhere, it would certainly be despicable," US State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said in Washington. "I think it has clear echoes of Germany under Hitler."

Canada's Mr Harper said: "I think it boggles the mind that any regime on the face of the earth would want to do anything that could remind people of Nazi Germany."

The Iranian parliament is debating legislation which would discourage women from wearing western clothing and would increase taxes on imported clothes. It would also promote the wearing of Islamic-style garments.

A draft received preliminary approval last Sunday and parliament debated it this week, but the bill has not been passed.

In Teheran, MP Emad Afroogh, who sponsored the bill and chairs the parliament's cultural committee, said there was no truth to the Canadian newspaper report.

"It's a sheer lie. The rumours about this are worthless," he said.

"The bill is not related to minorities. It is only about clothing," he said.

"Please tell them (in the West) to check the details of the bill. There is no mention of religious minorities and their clothing in the bill," he said.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/060520/2/z1gg.html
cobber On July 22, 2006

Deleted
Banned

Rockhampton, Australia
#2New Post! May 21, 2006 @ 20:52:38
Is it really that wise to attack a nation for what appeared in a media report which, according to these politicians, has not been confirmed?

As for the Nazi like comments, I have met some people here in Oz who believe that all non-Christians should wear a symbol on their clothes so they know what these people are.

nothinsnew On September 15, 2009

Deleted

The Coast, Australia
#3New Post! May 21, 2006 @ 22:07:33
I agree cobber - wtf is Little Johnnie saying all this stuff if the Iranians denied it??????

Mark my words - 1. JH is in love with GWB 2. GWB WILL attack Iran. Its a foregone conclusion.
cobber On July 22, 2006

Deleted
Banned

Rockhampton, Australia
#4New Post! May 21, 2006 @ 22:13:21
Howard is now saying that he supports a war on Iran. f***wit!

Deleted

The Coast, Australia
#5New Post! May 21, 2006 @ 22:16:26
loser!!!! Go out on a high point huh? He's seriously got dementia
See? It wont take much longer. Iran will be nuked.
cobber On July 22, 2006

Deleted
Banned

Rockhampton, Australia
#6New Post! May 21, 2006 @ 22:18:44
Me thinks he enjoys sitting on Bush's lap. Hmm, I wonder if Bushie uses oil as a lubricant?

Deleted

The Coast, Australia
#7New Post! May 21, 2006 @ 22:20:52
Darkshine On May 05, 2010

Sydney, Australia
#8New Post! May 21, 2006 @ 22:52:58
Well of course he does, it'd hurt too much if he didn't.
seekurbliss On January 22, 2007

Memphis, Tennessee
#9New Post! May 21, 2006 @ 22:55:32
G.W. Bush is Satan.
alljive On March 03, 2007

trondheim, Norway
#10New Post! May 21, 2006 @ 23:05:28
It is disappointing that people so high up in government choose to say these things without first going to the trouble of checking the facts, something wich is not that difficult to do even without their considerable resources, and suggestive of motives beond truth and justice.

I am particularily intrigued by this:

Canada's Mr Harper said: "I think it boggles the mind that any regime on the face of the earth would want to do anything that could remind people of Nazi Germany."

..as the state of israel does exactly this without being called on it by any western leadership. If you are wondering they do this by their wall and their retaliation practices. Something sure smells strange around here.
jgore On September 25, 2010

Banned

New Haven, Connecticut
#11New Post! May 21, 2006 @ 23:13:04
The report about non-muslims being forced to wear badges is falls according to a Jewish politician in the Iranian parlament.

This same report was used in Afghanistan, and that was also not true.
stonewall On July 06, 2006

Deleted

Darwin, Australia
#12New Post! May 21, 2006 @ 23:16:23
But jgore did not the jews in the middle ages were made to wear yellow ie a yellow cloak Now Iam not saying that it is right but history kinda repeats it's self
jgore On September 25, 2010

Banned

New Haven, Connecticut
#13New Post! May 21, 2006 @ 23:19:12
Ummm we are not talking about the middle ages..
beobscureclearly On August 04, 2006

Back of Beyond, Australia
#14New Post! May 22, 2006 @ 01:04:23
Hmmm...

Basing policy on media reports.

Makes sense to me.

After all the media never lie or sensationalise.

becki7 On July 28, 2006

Australia
#15New Post! May 24, 2006 @ 13:12:35
Somehow I think he has got the wrong country its not Iran but america his favorite country,hey and why not when bush allows him to stay 5nights at the range instead of 3nights so I wonder what that was for?A bit of "catch up time".
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs