The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Politics:
Animal Rights

How would you vote about a "shark attack"?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>
rogy On June 03, 2013

, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Aug 18, 2010 @ 11:17:36
Should the shark that attacked a surfer be hunted down and killed?
Poll form

1. Yes, it's a dangerous predator
2. No, the surfer was invading its natural space

https://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/debate-over-killer-shark-rages-20100817-128bj.html?autostart=1

rogY
Carolyn2602 On February 14, 2012

Brisbane, Australia
#2New Post! Aug 18, 2010 @ 11:39:39
@rogy Said

Should the shark that attacked a surfer be hunted down and killed?
Poll form

1. Yes, it's a dangerous predator
2. No, the surfer was invading its natural space

https://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/debate-over-killer-shark-rages-20100817-128bj.html?autostart=1

rogY

Here's a thought ~ stay out of the SHARK's territory at times/places known to be dangerous for surfers. Dawn/dusk/bad weather/near estuaries/sand bars. Education saves lives!

Sharks killed each year by humans ~ 80 million. I think the numbers indicate it's a little lop-sided!
sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#3New Post! Aug 18, 2010 @ 15:57:35
The shark is just doing what is natural to him. People who go into the water where they know sharks could be are taking a chance from go...
To kill the animal seems absurd.
plebian_angel On April 25, 2012
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#4New Post! Aug 18, 2010 @ 15:58:40
@sTreetAngeL Said

The shark is just doing what is natural to him. People who go into the water where they know sharks could be are taking a chance from go...
To kill the animal seems absurd.

I agree with you! Leave the poor shark alone
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#5New Post! Aug 18, 2010 @ 15:58:45
The answer is "yes, this shark has possibly acquired a taste for human flesh and views humans as legitimate prey now. It is therefore too dangerous to allow it to live and should be destroyed."
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#6New Post! Aug 18, 2010 @ 16:05:19
@jonnythan Said

The answer is "yes, this shark has possibly acquired a taste for human flesh and views humans as legitimate prey now. It is therefore too dangerous to allow it to live and should be destroyed."

But a shark is going to view ANYthing in it's territory as a potential meal. So should all of them be killed then too? As I'm pretty certain any one of them would attack under the same circumstances.

And how do they even go about finding "thee exact one" who attacked in the first place? And know it for certain to be the "one?"
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Aug 18, 2010 @ 16:06:42
No it shouldn't.
chisa96 On December 29, 2014
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#8New Post! Aug 18, 2010 @ 16:07:20
@jonnythan Said

Does that actually happen though? Is this shark actually going to start actively hunting humans over other prey? I've always thought that sounded like something that's only true in horror movies.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#9New Post! Aug 18, 2010 @ 16:08:14
@sTreetAngeL Said

But a shark is going to view ANYthing in it's territory as a potential meal. So should all of them be killed then too? As I'm pretty certain any one of them would attack under the same circumstances.

And how do they even go about finding "thee exact one" who attacked in the first place? And know it for certain to be the "one?"

I'm certainly no expert on the subject, but my understanding is that sharks apparently do not view human beings on the surface as natural prey; as a result, the majority of shark attacks on humans can be attributed to the shark thinking the human may be another animal such as a seal or desperation from hunger. However, once a shark does attack and/or eat human flesh, the shark may be much more likely to attack humans again.

Therefore, since there's the distinct possibility that this particular shark is much more likely to attack another human now that it has already done it once, it's simply too dangerous to allow it to live in the wild. Capture it and put it in an aquarium or something if you want to, but it shouldn't be allowed to continue predating those waters.
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#10New Post! Aug 18, 2010 @ 16:08:33
@jonnythan Said

I would think it takes more than just an attack for the shark to acquire that taste. It seems that sharks don't favor human meat (ewww) and that's why shark attack victims are not generally eaten.

This site gave some interesting insight about sharks (it's a site for scuba divers). Sharks

Quote:
When most sharks attack, the first bite is usually a "tester." Like most people, when sampling food, they bite once, revel in the taste, and then decide whether or not to continue... with most sharks, sampling occurs as well. The trouble is, with the sampling of a Great White or other larger predatory sharks, the first bite is so massive or severe that many people die from their injuries, and do not actually die from being consumed. A lot of fatalities can be attributed to people bleeding to death or dying from shock.

My answer to the 'poll' question is no.
ssnot_me On February 01, 2016

big D, Texas
#11New Post! Aug 18, 2010 @ 16:09:25
we got lots of people... lets throw more out there so the sharks can have something to eat.
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#12New Post! Aug 18, 2010 @ 16:10:28
@chisa96 Said

Does that actually happen though? Is this shark actually going to start actively hunting humans over other prey? I've always thought that sounded like something that's only true in horror movies.

Here is a weird "horror movie come true" article I found while I was looking for that information. It sounds like it's an acquired taste that really takes some getting used to.
Dumped corpses give sharks a taste for human flesh .

This was a very specific case regarding one pack of sharks.
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#13New Post! Aug 18, 2010 @ 16:19:02
@jonnythan Said

I'm certainly no expert on the subject, but my understanding is that sharks apparently do not view human beings on the surface as natural prey; as a result, the majority of shark attacks on humans can be attributed to the shark thinking the human may be another animal such as a seal or desperation from hunger. However, once a shark does attack and/or eat human flesh, the shark may be much more likely to attack humans again.

Therefore, since there's the distinct possibility that this particular shark is much more likely to attack another human now that it has already done it once, it's simply too dangerous to allow it to live in the wild. Capture it and put it in an aquarium or something if you want to, but it shouldn't be allowed to continue predating those waters.

I agree, that mistaken identity is the reason most likely for the attack, so wouldn't it just be wiser for the person to stay out of their territory in the first place? I'd think especially since such knowlege of mistaken identity between surfers, and their boards, and seals, is so wide spread...just seems very unfair to me, when the human who is much wiser, goes and does something so stupid, then expects the animal to pay for doing what came natural to him.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm by no means putting the life of an animal before that of a human; It just seems that exercising common sense is all that's needed to avoid the attack in the first place.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#14New Post! Aug 18, 2010 @ 16:31:02
@sTreetAngeL Said

I agree, that mistaken identity is the reason most likely for the attack, so wouldn't it just be wiser for the person to stay out of their territory in the first place? I'd think especially since such knowlege of mistaken identity between surfers, and their boards, and seals, is so wide spread...just seems very unfair to me, when the human who is much wiser, goes and does something so stupid, then expects the animal to pay for doing what came natural to him.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm by no means putting the life of an animal before that of a human; It just seems that exercising common sense is all that's needed to avoid the attack in the first place.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I don't think that a single animal's life is worth more than the livelihoods of thousands and thousands of people.
deal1 On May 06, 2011
SECRET SQUIRREL

not of this earth,
#15New Post! Aug 18, 2010 @ 16:32:30
If it can be identified as a "serial attacker" ie...same area, same size,type,method...then yes...If it attacks once then not again, then no.
If it IS hunted down, do something useful with it...if it has to be killed, then give the meat to the hungry, or have it mounted and displayed in an aquarium or mueseum for educational purposes.
If it can be caught alive, then give it to an aquarium for their shark tank...there are many ways to resolve the problem.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs