The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Technology & Internet

How to get the most out of your phone battery?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
annski729 On July 24, 2016

, United States (general)
#1New Post! Sep 04, 2011 @ 04:14:02
My phone says to "remove from charger to conserve battery" or something like that. I think that means you're supposed to take your phone off its charger when it's completely charged so that it learns what a charge is and the battery life stays long.

Am I right?

Is there anything else I should do? I've also heard that you shouldn't let your phone completely die, but instead charge it when it's simply a low charge.

What about like, charging it when the battery is only half full?

Do these things really make that much a difference in prolonging good battery life?
alk1975 On August 11, 2016

Jackson, Missouri
#2New Post! Sep 04, 2011 @ 04:38:56
Probably so. I pretty well destroyed my laptop battery by keeping it plugged up all the time so that it wouldn't go to sleep and would operate the majicjack after my desktop crashed. Now I have to keep it plugged up to use it. I think it's a bit like overloading it to leave it plugged up.
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#3New Post! Sep 04, 2011 @ 04:51:24
All very good questions - wish I had the answers.
Most people are so dependent on their cell phones:
a) it is the only phone they have, or b) it is heavily used for business or other money making endeavors. Therefore,
some people never let their battery die, they automatically charge their phone every night. Don't know if this decreases the life span of the battery or not - but if it does, it's worth it -- to always have a charged phone handy (and plus, it makes it easier to go without a landline - if you always have access to your cell -- so you are saving money there too).
Dark_Tink On December 30, 2018
<3 Boobie <3

, Canada
#4New Post! Sep 04, 2011 @ 13:54:07
I have found by reading and hearing from mobile phone retailers, that it depends on the type of battery. Some should be charged only once it is empty and others to charge before it is at 0%

This site should help.

#5New Post! Sep 04, 2011 @ 14:01:01
Oh, another question - is it good/bad to charge your phone for only short spurts? For example, the other day I was on campus and charged my phone until I finished lunch, then realized I had something to do and unplugged it and left. It hadn't fully charged, but was at like 80%. Is that bad for it?

#6New Post! Sep 04, 2011 @ 14:01:18
@Dark_Tink Said

I have found by reading and hearing from mobile phone retailers, that it depends on the type of battery. Some should be charged only once it is empty and others to charge before it is at 0%

This site should help.

Thanks, I'll give it a read.

EDIT:

OK I read it and I still have questions

"A Lithium Ion battery may be damaged by extensive overcharging (continuously on a cell phone charger for more than 24 hours)."

Does that mean that it's not a problem if I let it continuously charge for less than 24 hours? Or does it mean that charging it for < 24 hours won't damage it, but it's still not good for it?

I usually charge my phone when I go to sleep, but I'm not like, going to wake up in the middle of the night to take it off the charger I guess my question is, if I let it sit on the charger for a few hours until I wake up is it really having a big effect on the battery life or is it basically nothing to worry about?
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Sep 04, 2011 @ 14:56:50
@annski729 Said

Oh, another question - is it good/bad to charge your phone for only short spurts? For example, the other day I was on campus and charged my phone until I finished lunch, then realized I had something to do and unplugged it and left. It hadn't fully charged, but was at like 80%. Is that bad for it?

I think so. My mum always told me off for doing that, apparently it's best to leave it until the battery runs out completely, otherwise it could break it. Though if you have to make a call or something I can't imagine it would do that much harm. Maybe just not continually.

#8New Post! Sep 04, 2011 @ 14:58:27
@sister_of_mercy Said

I think so. My mum always told me off for doing that, apparently it's best to leave it until the battery runs out completely, otherwise it could break it. Though if you have to make a call or something I can't imagine it would do that much harm. Maybe just not continually.

Actually my phone says in its help section that it's best to not let it run out completely before charging it. I guess that question was more, is it bad to take it off the charger when it hasn't finished charging to 100% ? Not is it bad to put it on a charger when it's at, say, 30%.

#9New Post! Sep 10, 2011 @ 20:14:51
bump
Sparklegirl On December 13, 2019
LL.M

Cumbria, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Sep 10, 2011 @ 20:35:37
@annski729 Said

Thanks, I'll give it a read.

EDIT:

OK I read it and I still have questions

"A Lithium Ion battery may be damaged by extensive overcharging (continuously on a cell phone charger for more than 24 hours)."

Does that mean that it's not a problem if I let it continuously charge for less than 24 hours? Or does it mean that charging it for < 24 hours won't damage it, but it's still not good for it?

I usually charge my phone when I go to sleep, but I'm not like, going to wake up in the middle of the night to take it off the charger I guess my question is, if I let it sit on the charger for a few hours until I wake up is it really having a big effect on the battery life or is it basically nothing to worry about?

my lithium ion battery does appear to have been battered by me over charging it. i would charge it as i sleep as do you, but as i have a dog who wakes me up about 4 times a night, i do unplug it mid way through the night

i try to leae it til its telling me to charge it & leave it if possible til its fully charged, im lead to believe that short spurts are bad for it. my mate works for carphonewearhouse & he advises me against it. what mobile do you have?
Silly_Me On April 22, 2020

In a cave, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Sep 10, 2011 @ 20:38:02
Someone I know puts theirs in their freezer bit weird I thought but after a while, she was able to use it

#12New Post! Sep 10, 2011 @ 20:52:08
@Sparklegirl Said

my lithium ion battery does appear to have been battered by me over charging it. i would charge it as i sleep as do you, but as i have a dog who wakes me up about 4 times a night, i do unplug it mid way through the night

i try to leae it til its telling me to charge it & leave it if possible til its fully charged, im lead to believe that short spurts are bad for it. my mate works for carphonewearhouse & he advises me against it. what mobile do you have?

I have the motorola droid 3 through verizon. I love it, but the battery only lasts about 12 hours and I generally use it all day
Sparklegirl On December 13, 2019
LL.M

Cumbria, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Sep 10, 2011 @ 20:53:41
@annski729 Said

I have the motorola droid 3 through verizon. I love it, but the battery only lasts about 12 hours and I generally use it all day

thats my problem too, i use my mobile a lot
Demented On January 31, 2024

, Australia
#14New Post! Sep 10, 2011 @ 21:03:01
Way back in 2001,I bought my self a Nokia 6310i.At the time my job was driving all day (Courier)so I also got myself a full in car phone kit,I've since given away doing that line of work (due to a heart attack) and now use that same phone in the car I have today aannnddd it still uses the original battery.
The phone gets turned on when I get in the car,then slipped into the cradle and left on until I'm finished with it at the end of the day,so the battery always shows it's constantly charged.
My son keeps telling me I should get rid of the old phone and step into the 21st century and get a Blue Tooth,but I keep telling him it works well when I ring him and we TALK to each other rather than texting each other.

#15New Post! Sep 10, 2011 @ 21:36:25
@Demented Said

Way back in 2001,I bought my self a Nokia 6310i.At the time my job was driving all day (Courier)so I also got myself a full in car phone kit,I've since given away doing that line of work (due to a heart attack) and now use that same phone in the car I have today aannnddd it still uses the original battery.
The phone gets turned on when I get in the car,then slipped into the cradle and left on until I'm finished with it at the end of the day,so the battery always shows it's constantly charged.
My son keeps telling me I should get rid of the old phone and step into the 21st century and get a Blue Tooth,but I keep telling him it works well when I ring him and we TALK to each other rather than texting each other.

Car chargers are great but I don't have a car or use one to get around
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs