The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Science:
Biology

How did Murphy survive the gunshot to his head?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>
Conflict On April 22, 2024

Alcalá de Henares, Spain
#1New Post! Dec 13, 2013 @ 19:00:28
Clarence Bodd***er shot Murphy in his forehead after he and his gang shot him up. His glazed eyed expression suggested that he died from the bullet wound. However, the medics used defibrillators on him, which suggests that he was still alive as they wheeled him into the hospital. The POV angle of the camera gave that impression, too.

My understanding of blunt force trauma brought on by a bullet to the skull is limited. I have always assumed that bullets to the forehead almost always lead to death due to the velocity of the bullet.

How then, in this case could Murphy's brain have survived long enough to be transplanted into the new metallic skull of Robocop after sustaining the kind of cranial trauma it did?
floydgirrl On October 08, 2022
Stalkee

Pope's Wine Celler, Holy See (
#2New Post! Dec 13, 2013 @ 19:05:59
Uhmmmm

wait...this is about Robocop?
He survived because it's Hollywood and the writers said he survived.

/thread
someone_else_again On May 20, 2021
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#3New Post! Dec 13, 2013 @ 19:07:52
I know you said /thread Floyd, and you're right but...

Didn't we already do this with Darth Vader and his lungs?
Stalkee

#4New Post! Dec 13, 2013 @ 19:10:56
@someone_else_again Said

I know you said /thread Floyd, and you're right but...

Didn't we already do this with Darth Vader and his lungs?

Darth Vader doesn't have lungs? I thought he just had a deep creepy heavy breathing over the phone to the poor babysitter type voice because Lucas wrote him that way? Oh the things I learn on TFS.

Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#5New Post! Dec 13, 2013 @ 19:12:43
@floydgirrl Said

Darth Vader doesn't have lungs? I thought he just had a deep creepy heavy breathing over the phone to the poor babysitter type voice because Lucas wrote him that way? Oh the things I learn on TFS.

Ack! Don't start it back up again.
paramour On July 30, 2014

Purgatory Beach,
#6New Post! Dec 13, 2013 @ 19:18:34
Although it's a small percentage, there ARE individuals who survive bullets to the head.

I knew a guy who still had a bullet lodged in his skull from a childhood incident where his brother shot him.

Sooo, it's likely, albeit uncommon and improbable.

(Oh, and because the movies made it that way... Say hello to suspension of disbelief. )

* What's this about Darth Vader's lungs?!
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#7New Post! Dec 13, 2013 @ 19:28:06
I can't wait for the discussion about the Six Million Dollar Man.

Stalkee

#8New Post! Dec 13, 2013 @ 19:30:50
@someone_else_again Said

I can't wait for the discussion about the Six Million Dollar Man.

I imagine we'll hear about the mechanics of the bionic woman and her role in society
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#9New Post! Dec 13, 2013 @ 19:38:38
@floydgirrl Said

I imagine we'll hear about the mechanics of the bionic woman and her role in society

Heck, we may as well jump on that ourselves.
psycoskunk On December 24, 2020
Funky-Footed Skunk

A fort made of stinky socks, C
#10New Post! Dec 13, 2013 @ 20:24:17
That Renard guy from The World Is Not Enough also survived a bullet to the head. Actually, it was still lodged in his head and was somehow slowly burrowing further into his brain. He'd die eventually, but he couldn't feel pain as a result. You can do stuff like that in movies because they're just that.
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#11New Post! Dec 13, 2013 @ 20:36:53
@psycoskunk Said

That Renard guy from The World Is Not Enough also survived a bullet to the head. Actually, it was still lodged in his head and was somehow slowly burrowing further into his brain. He'd die eventually, but he couldn't feel pain as a result. You can do stuff like that in movies because they're just that.

Clearly there are parts of the brain that can be damaged and not kill you. Otherwise, lobotomies wouldn't have ever been done.
Stalkee

#12New Post! Dec 13, 2013 @ 20:39:57
@someone_else_again Said

Clearly there are parts of the brain that can be damaged and not kill you. Otherwise, lobotomies wouldn't have ever been done.

Maybe that is what happened to Robocop!
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#13New Post! Dec 13, 2013 @ 20:41:57
@floydgirrl Said

Maybe that is what happened to Robocop!

He had a lobotomy?

Actually...he may have had a partial lobotomy. It seemed like he couldn't remember some things. Then again, I haven't seen that movie in over a decade so...
Conflict On April 22, 2024

Alcalá de Henares, Spain
#14New Post! Dec 13, 2013 @ 20:45:44
@someone_else_again Said

Okay, let's consider which parts those are. Murphy was shot in the upper corner of his temple. According to the film, he lost his memory. He said that he could feel his family but he couldn't remember them. He had vague recollections of them.

Now, in Prime Directives, an intact section of his brain actually contained his memories, but was suppressed due to the trauma it would bring. It was successfully reactivated and Robocop regained his memories.

With all this in mind, what parts of the brain could be punctured by a bullet, but still enable the organ itself to survive?
boxer On June 16, 2016

Deleted
Banned

, Zimbabwe
#15New Post! Dec 13, 2013 @ 20:50:48
@Conflict Said

Okay, let's consider which parts those are. Murphy was shot in the upper corner of his temple. According to the film, he lost his memory. He said that he could feel his family but he couldn't remember them. He had vague recollections of them.

Now, in Prime Directives, an intact section of his brain actually contained his memories, but was suppressed due to the trauma it would bring. It was successfully reactivated and Robocop regained his memories.

With all this in mind, what parts of the brain could be punctured by a bullet, but still enable the organ itself to survive?

I think you should volunteer for a study in which portions of your brain are cut out to see which parts you can live without. It's the only way we can all know how Murphy managed it, so it's really the least you can do.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs