Writing

How Many Writers are Here?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
ArloClyde On April 14, 2016

Houston,
#1New Post! Apr 11, 2016 @ 01:41:14
Please introduce yourself and perhaps outline your writing projects.
Well On May 20, 2016

Anaheim, California
#2New Post! Apr 11, 2016 @ 01:48:44
I would not call myself a writer, but I have sat in the creative writing classes. So if you want, I will read you work.
Ratty On November 08, 2021

So Cal, California
#3New Post! Apr 11, 2016 @ 01:56:12
I wanna be a writer. I've never had that aptitude as a kid. I definitely have comic wit and I felt like if I were part of a team of writers I could contribute, but I don't have a portfolio of sorts.

I've dabble around with Haiku fairly recently and found that I can for some reason write some of the most grim sad suicide themed Haiku's.......

I don't feel particularly suicidal, which is probably the reason I find it so odd that I write those, IDK.

I'm also finding that just because you can have comic wit and timing, those skills don't necessarily translate to being a good writer, unfortunately.
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#4New Post! Apr 11, 2016 @ 02:27:57
I'm not really a writer, but enjoy writing.

Houston,
#5New Post! Apr 11, 2016 @ 03:00:01
Thanks for your replies. I am not here to promote my book, exactly, which I am still revising, since I don't intend to reproduce any of it on line and will not reveal the pen name it is being written under. I just want to connect with others who share my interests.
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#6New Post! Apr 11, 2016 @ 03:30:10
@Ratty Said

I wanna be a writer. I've never had that aptitude as a kid. I definitely have comic wit and I felt like if I were part of a team of writers I could contribute, but I don't have a portfolio of sorts.

I've dabble around with Haiku fairly recently and found that I can for some reason write some of the most grim sad suicide themed Haiku's.......

I don't feel particularly suicidal, which is probably the reason I find it so odd that I write those, IDK.

I'm also finding that just because you can have comic wit and timing, those skills don't necessarily translate to being a good writer, unfortunately.

interesting, you are right.

you have a really sense of humor. what it is harder to be an comic actor or stand up comedian. you have heard the laugh from someone else or audience.

as a writer, you have to guess what is funny to someone else.

because you think it is funny, doesn't mean that your reader think it is funny. that is hard to do.

as a writer, you is no such thing as comic timing in writing. comic timing is acting with respond from audience's respond.

as you know my posts that i have can make you laugh. because i have sense of humor.

as if you as a writer , you have learn laugh at yourself. as well as, others laugh at you.

i took some acting lessons not really acting lessons. in 20's, i was this organization called " saturday live leftovers ". i took classes in afternoons for awhile. i was told that i have natural comic timing for acting. i never pursuit back then.

you be born natural anything to be good at, than learning something.

if you don't try something, you need don't know if you are good or not.
JorieJukebox On January 29, 2024

Right Here, Not There,
#7New Post! Apr 11, 2016 @ 03:43:43
I've always loved to write, for as long as I can remember. I mostly just journal, and I have my hand written glossary of words I come across when I'm reading that I don't know.

I do have several writing projects in the works... My recent favorite: Writing to music... Three different ways:
1. A song that tells a specific story. Find a song that tells a story and write your version. (I chose Steve Miller's "Take the Money and Run'" and so far have only written the first "chapter/verse."
2. A song that tells a vague story. Find a song that tells a vague story and elaborate. I think I may go with The Eagle's "Hotel California" with that one... The verses may seem specific, but all in all, it's pretty hit and miss what the song is all about.
3. An instrumental song. Find an instrumental song, with no words, and write a story to it... One of my favorites is Santana's "Samba Pa Ti," but I have also been listening to a lot of jazz lately, so this one is also currently undecided.
I really love this project, as it combines two of my greatest loves: music and writing.

Good luck in your endeavors!
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#8New Post! Apr 11, 2016 @ 03:52:13
I write more in the technical and academic sense. Not as much fun as creative projects, but I still enjoy it.
bob_the_fisherman On January 30, 2023
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#9New Post! Apr 11, 2016 @ 04:02:51
I tinker with various forms of writing. I have written songs, poems, short stories, novellas and am working on a couple of fictional novels when I can be bothered (which is not that often). I have also written on subjects ranging from philosophy, religion and history.

I would love to make a career out of writing, but I am simply not motivated enough.

Houston,
#10New Post! Apr 11, 2016 @ 04:10:42
Very interesting responses. With me, humor comes and goes. I can be funny tomorrow; perhaps not the next day. My book attempts the serio-humorous. I think it mostly succeeds. I never thought about turning song lyrics into stories. Have to be careful to avoid plagiarism, doing it. I have written quite a few song lyrics, of which I am proud of several. Problem with song lyrics, they are a dime a dozen. Hype is what makes some successful, while equally good lyrics are never noticed. As for technical writing, I haven't the discipline to do that. I admire a fine technical writer, because I cannot do it. Thanks everybody.
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#11New Post! Apr 11, 2016 @ 04:14:33
@ArloClyde Said

Very interesting responses. With me, humor comes and goes. I can be funny tomorrow; perhaps not the next day. My book attempts the serio-humorous. I think it mostly succeeds. I never thought about turning song lyrics into stories. Have to be careful to avoid plagiarism, doing it. I have written quite a few song lyrics, of which I am proud of several. Problem with song lyrics, they are a dime a dozen. Hype is what makes some successful, while equally good lyrics are never noticed. As for technical writing, I haven't the discipline to do that. I admire a fine technical writer, because I cannot do it. Thanks everybody.

welcome!

Houston,
#12New Post! Apr 11, 2016 @ 04:25:59
Thank you.
Jaynes On September 26, 2022

Brighton, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Jun 03, 2016 @ 17:30:52
I liked the responses, i am thinking of writing short stories, i write poetry myself as well, what tips could you give me?
JorieJukebox On January 29, 2024

Right Here, Not There,
#14New Post! Jun 03, 2016 @ 22:30:54
@Jaynes Said

I liked the responses, i am thinking of writing short stories, i write poetry myself as well, what tips could you give me?

Write. And when you're done writing, write some more.

Good writers read, and read a LOT, I think Stephen King said something like that.

If the writer doesn't laugh, cry, wonder, fear... Neither will the reader.
enc On June 15, 2016

Pittsburgh,
#15New Post! Jun 12, 2016 @ 13:23:27
@twilitezone911 Said

interesting, you are right.

you have a really sense of humor. what it is harder to be an comic actor or stand up comedian. you have heard the laugh from someone else or audience.

as a writer, you have to guess what is funny to someone else.

because you think it is funny, doesn't mean that your reader think it is funny. that is hard to do.

as a writer, you is no such thing as comic timing in writing. comic timing is acting with respond from audience's respond.

as you know my posts that i have can make you laugh. because i have sense of humor.

as if you as a writer , you have learn laugh at yourself. as well as, others laugh at you.

i took some acting lessons not really acting lessons. in 20's, i was this organization called " saturday live leftovers ". i took classes in afternoons for awhile. i was told that i have natural comic timing for acting. i never pursuit back then.

you be born natural anything to be good at, than learning something.

if you don't try something, you need don't know if you are good or not.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs