The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Random

How Do I Make Myself Sleep -- When I'm Not Tired?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 · >>
jacobs On January 31, 2011

Banned

knoxville, Iowa
#1New Post! Oct 18, 2010 @ 15:43:54
It's not insomnia. It's a stupid work-schedule.

Most days, I work 9 am to 4 pm. But on Monday, I have to be at work at 2:00 am. After four days of the 9-4 schedule.

I cannot get my body to go to sleep before 11:00 p.m. because that is my normal bedtime.

I want to be able to get off work at 4 p.m. on Sunday, and go to sleep by 7:00 p.m. -- in order to get six hours of sleep, but my body will not shut down at 7:00 p.m. It wants to stay up until 11:00 p.m as usual, and by then, I'm usually so frustrated, I never go to sleep at all, and end up going into work at 2:00 a.m on Monday -- with -zero- sleep.

I've tried drinking. Doesn't work too well, and usually just end up sleepless with a hangover.

I've tried taking allergy pills, they relax you and knock you out when you are already tired -- but not four hours early.

I've tried over-the-counter sleep meds -- not much luck.

I've tried eating turkey -- I've heard turkey dinners tend to cause a person to be drowsy -- works a little bit it seems.

I just heard that "lavender" (the scent of) is soothing.
I just heard that "valerian root" will make you drowsy.
I just heard that "melatonin" tends to work.
(Huh? I thought "melatonin" was that stuff in your skin that gives it color? wtf?)

Anyone have any other suggestions?
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#2New Post! Oct 18, 2010 @ 16:07:24
@jacobs Said

It's not insomnia. It's a stupid work-schedule.

Most days, I work 9 am to 4 pm. But on Monday, I have to be at work at 2:00 am. After four days of the 9-4 schedule.

Just so I'm clear on your schedule, you're working at 2:00 am on Monday after working Thurs - Sun 9:00 am - 4:00 pm?

Other than actual sleeping pills, I don't know of a way to get to sleep right away.

Eating is a good idea. Turkey is probably helping but any food would help. I would think after several weeks of that schedule, you'd adjust and at least get a good nap before you have to go back to work.

Oh and Melatonin is a natural sleep aid. Melanin is the stuff that gives your skin color.
CRYSTALTIPS On January 01, 2011
Crystallized Gem

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Oct 18, 2010 @ 16:09:16
Hot milk, with a tiny bit of sugar
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#4New Post! Oct 18, 2010 @ 16:12:54
You need make a routine and follow it. Unfortunately none of the "sleep medications" etc will help more than creating your environment and routine.

Make sure that for an hour before you want to go to sleep, you do not watch any tv, listen to radio, computer or anything electronic really. Just relax, maybe milk, cup of non caffeinated tea. Read a book...

You have to build the routine up and it won't work if it's not consistent. Do things like taking a bath, drinking milk etc.

Banned

knoxville, Iowa
#5New Post! Oct 18, 2010 @ 16:53:15
@someone_else Said

Just so I'm clear on your schedule, you're working at 2:00 am on Monday after working Thurs - Sun 9:00 am - 4:00 pm?

Other than actual sleeping pills, I don't know of a way to get to sleep right away.

Eating is a good idea. Turkey is probably helping but any food would help. I would think after several weeks of that schedule, you'd adjust and at least get a good nap before you have to go back to work.

Oh and Melatonin is a natural sleep aid. Melanin is the stuff that gives your skin color.

You understand my schedule right. My body is so used to going to sleep at 11:00 p.m. the other six days of the week, it will not shut down at 7. or 8, or 9, or 10 pm, on Sunday night. And I go into work on Monday, at 2:00 a.m. on a regular basis -- without any sleep or with only one or two hours of restless sleep. Mondays are a joke. (I'm the goofiest cook you've ever seen -- on Monday.) (but it does get funny...)

Do you think a doctor would prescribe sleeping pills for that one night only?

I have one friend -- who is a trucker, and cornier than hell, who calls me up, and reads me jokes and stories out of trucker magazines. His voice is so soothing, I have told him, he needs to call me every Sunday night, and read me stories. (And he does sometimes...)

My boss doesn't get it. (Did you see the post I made about being up 36 hours last week? I was almost friggin cryin like a baby when the roofers got on the roof.... waaaaaahhhhhhhh, gimme my mamas breast...)

Thanks for the clarification on the melatonin/melanin question. haha, see what lack-of-sleep does to ya?

I really appreciate you taking the time to read my post and trying to comprehend what I was trying to explain, and putting yourself in my shoes. That was cool. You are a listener.
HiImDan On February 29, 2024

Cleveland, the boil on the but
#6New Post! Oct 18, 2010 @ 16:57:37
@someone_else Said

This (sleeping pills & Melatonin) and this:

@CRYSTALTIPS Said

Hot milk, with a tiny bit of sugar

Warm mik releases L Tryptophan, which will make you drowsy. Not sure about the bit of sugar, though. Also, L Tryptphan can be purchased at most health food stores.
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#7New Post! Oct 18, 2010 @ 16:59:23
@jacobs Said

You understand my schedule right. My body is so used to going to sleep at 11:00 p.m. the other six days of the week, it will not shut down at 7. or 8, or 9, or 10 pm, on Sunday night. And I go into work on Monday, at 2:00 a.m. on a regular basis -- without any sleep or with only one or two hours of restless sleep. Mondays are a joke. (I'm the goofiest cook you've ever seen -- on Monday.) (but it does get funny...)

Do you think a doctor would prescribe sleeping pills for that one night only?

I have one friend -- who is a trucker, and cornier than hell, who calls me up, and reads me jokes and stories out of trucker magazines. His voice is so soothing, I have told him, he needs to call me every Sunday night, and read me stories. (And he does sometimes...)

My boss doesn't get it. (Did you see the post I made about being up 36 hours last week? I was almost friggin cryin like a baby when the roofers got on the roof.... waaaaaahhhhhhhh, gimme my mamas breast...)

Thanks for the clarification on the melatonin/melanin question. haha, see what lack-of-sleep does to ya?

The melatonin/melanin thing seems to be a common source of confusion. We've had that discussion here before.

I don't know if a Dr. would prescribe sleeping pills for one night a week...but I really didn't mean prescription ones anyway. Try something like Nytol or Tylenol PM, something OTC.

I saw your post about being up for 36 hours but I didn't catch that it was work related. I'm sorry you're going through that...I would be ticked off.

I'm guessing you're not a union member? It just seems ridiculous to have that schedule. I could understand the first day of your work week being a 2 am start and the other 4 being a 9 am start, but the other way around just has to be bad for your health.

Banned

knoxville, Iowa
#8New Post! Oct 18, 2010 @ 17:09:44
@boobagins Said

You need make a routine and follow it. Unfortunately none of the "sleep medications" etc will help more than creating your environment and routine.

Make sure that for an hour before you want to go to sleep, you do not watch any tv, listen to radio, computer or anything electronic really. Just relax, maybe milk, cup of non caffeinated tea. Read a book...

You have to build the routine up and it won't work if it's not consistent. Do things like taking a bath, drinking milk etc.

I CAN'T create a routine for one day a week.

I sometimes turn the TV way down, but it's noise, just so my brain doesn't start kicking in.

I have this problem. If I try to go to sleep too early, my stupid brain will not shut off. And then I start thinking. And then I might get aggravated.

I try to put things on the tele -- that are calming.

Like last night, I was watching, listening to that "Life" thing on the Discovery Channel. It's all good. (I'm glad they replaced that other depressing wench with Oprah, she has a much better voice for it) -- but then the stupid COMMERCIALS come on and you have this banging, danging, techno music s in the background -- and it wakes you the f up.)

So I went to bed with my stupid thoughts... ogod, help me.
And they bugged me. So I stayed awake.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Oct 18, 2010 @ 17:17:30
Serotonin helps you sleep as well, I know that there are pills you can take that aid serotonin flow to the receptors in your brain that will aid sleep.

Also, try this website, it might help you relax enough to sleep: RainyMood . It seems odd but white noise in the background can work really well at helping you get in the frame of mind to sleep.
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#10New Post! Oct 18, 2010 @ 17:20:51
@jacobs Said

I CAN'T create a routine for one day a week.

I sometimes turn the TV way down, but it's noise, just so my brain doesn't start kicking in.

I have this problem. If I try to go to sleep too early, my stupid brain will not shut off. And then I start thinking. And then I might get aggravated.

I try to put things on the tele -- that are calming.

Like last night, I was watching, listening to that "Life" thing on the Discovery Channel. It's all good. (I'm glad they replaced that other depressing wench with Oprah, she has a much better voice for it) -- but then the stupid COMMERCIALS come on and you have this banging, danging, techno music s in the background -- and it wakes you the f up.)

So I went to bed with my stupid thoughts... ogod, help me.
And they bugged me. So I stayed awake.

Yes you can. It's a routin for your mondays...why can't you?

And like I said, avoid electronic items. You just described how it effected your thoughts. It takes a while to get used the quiet when you're buzzed on noise...but that's what the routine is about.

It weens of needing to have the tv or whatever on.

Read a book instead.

You can do it, you're just choosing not to.
floydgirrl On October 08, 2022
Stalkee

Pope's Wine Celler, Holy See (
#11New Post! Oct 18, 2010 @ 17:21:47
I use a lavender/vanilla spray on my pillows which is relaxing. Also I find Chamomile tea very soothing. There are some breathing exercises you can do that are relaxing as well.

I drink Chamomile tea whenever I have insomnia or jet lag.

Banned

knoxville, Iowa
#12New Post! Oct 18, 2010 @ 17:24:09
@sister_of_mercy Said

Serotonin helps you sleep as well, I know that there are pills you can take that aid serotonin flow to the receptors in your brain that will aid sleep.

Also, try this website, it might help you relax enough to sleep: RainyMood . It seems odd but white noise in the background can work really well at helping you get in the frame of mind to sleep.

That's all it is, is rainy noise? How awesome.
I love storms. I can sleep for hours and hours. I will soooooooooooo try to remember to put this on, next Sunday night. How funny this will be if it really works.

I'll let you know. How cool of you to show me that.

I have a feeling that we have "on" and "off" switches in our brain. And if I could just figure out how to hit that "off" switch, somehow, someway...

Thankx. yawnnnnnnnnnnn (been up for hours now...)
Minty On June 13, 2011

Westcliff, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Oct 18, 2010 @ 17:25:18
i believe a lot in the power of what you tell yourself.

so maybe an hour beforehand start telling yourself "i'm getting sleepy and winding down now"

Banned

knoxville, Iowa
#14New Post! Oct 18, 2010 @ 17:27:32
@boobagins Said

Yes you can. It's a routin for your mondays...why can't you?

And like I said, avoid electronic items. You just described how it effected your thoughts. It takes a while to get used the quiet when you're buzzed on noise...but that's what the routine is about.

It weens of needing to have the tv or whatever on.

Read a book instead.

You can do it, you're just choosing not to.

I'm not choosing not to. But I do tend to get myself worked up about it, on Sunday night.

I think the book idea -- is a good one.

Do you ever wake up in the middle of the night and see all your electronic gadget lights on... and you're thinking "wtf"?

I love to sleep with the windows open and the curtains blowing -- but the freaking trains, omg.

Banned

knoxville, Iowa
#15New Post! Oct 18, 2010 @ 17:36:33
@Minty Said

i believe a lot in the power of what you tell yourself.

so maybe an hour beforehand start telling yourself "i'm getting sleepy and winding down now"

But what about that other voice that says "No you're not! You're wide awake!!!! It's only 8 pm!!!!! wtf are you thinking!!!?

Seriously, I lay there, and I try to tell myself "don't think, don't think... stupid shirley said that b****y-ass statement to me, I'm not gonna answer her tomorrow... owait, i'm getting sleepy.... damn barry, never called me back..... owait... i'm getting sleeepy.... freaking sister, what the heck she mean by that?.... owait, i'm getting sleepy.... freakin flippin car, engine light came on... no, wait, i'm getting sleepy.... just think of the ocean... no wait, the sharks!!!!!!! ahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!! damn, i know i'm getting sleepy, why the hell did they raise my insurance rates? i better call them tomorrow .... no wait, i'm getting sleepy.... why did my stinkin electric bill jump fifty dollars this month?... .... ok, i'm getting sleepy.... crap, i forgot to roll my windows up, it's gonna rain.... ok i'm getting sleepy.... did i make the coffee? aw who gives a f... is that a spider on my leg? smack... my back itches... holy crap, i forgot to set the alarm... ok, now i'm getting sleepy... sleepy.... i think i have to pee...

Tell me -- you have never been thru that.... or did i bore you to sleep?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs