How Dare You!

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
roxygemini On April 16, 2009

Deleted

, Canada
#1New Post! Feb 07, 2009 @ 16:27:40
I understand that with the economy being what it is, that the shady elements are going to start coming out from the holes they belong in, but when it hits home, it is infuriating!
My poor Grandpa, has lived alone for the past three years, come April when my Grandma passed away. He is the kindest, most gentle person in the world, who has worked hard his whole life for what he has aquired.
The past few months it seems, that with age, he has also become more naive to people. He signs up for things that telemarketers call for that he doesn't actually need, ect.
Yesterday a whole new breed of scum, contacted him though. Two grown men, in a utility van, knocked on his door, and proceeded to scam him out of 400.00 to knock the icicles from his roof!!
They used every pursuasive manner they could to convince him, that the city required it, that his house would be damaged, and that everyone else was getting it done aswell.
So these men, got up on thier ladders, and knocked off the icicles, and went with my grandpa, to take the 400 dollars from his years of hard labour, that they were owed, for thier outstanding work.

I am so sickened that people could prey on someone who has only done good in his life, and only sees good in people, enough to trust in someones word.
I honestly hope that the next time they are up on thier ladders, robbing some other gullible old soul, that karma pays them a visit.

No matter what struggles in life you are going through people, look out for each other, be kind, and watch out for f***ers in utility vans out to make a quick buck from an honest mans pocket.

Rant over.
TheSweeney On October 12, 2009

Deleted

sweeney land, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Feb 07, 2009 @ 16:33:36
that's pretty f***ed up I'd done it for half the price

all joking aside their nothing but scumbags and need a good kicking
ultranewbie On December 31, 2012

el dorado, New Mexico
#3New Post! Feb 07, 2009 @ 16:33:36
oh my gawd! this happened in Canada??!! You know, i can see this going on in the U.S. There are scams everywhere, but Canada too?

I am very sorry this crap happened to your grandfather. $400.00 is a lot of money for anyone to fork over.

I hope they catch those a*****es..

sorry, roxy.
alexkidd On February 07, 2012
Captain Awesome!

Deleted

in a bog, Ireland
#4New Post! Feb 07, 2009 @ 16:39:56
A saw some local scam artists like that combing the area where i live, they called to my door and didn't last long but there's a lot of old ladies living down the street.
I hope they fared as well, its sad really.

Those people should be locked up for that.
spadge On February 18, 2010
Aging Disgracefully

Deleted

Santa Land, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Feb 07, 2009 @ 16:42:21
Let's hope fate gets revenge, and the ladder slips killing (if not maiming) these scum.
sAeGeSpAeNe On October 05, 2021
Part-time Nidologist

The other Bristol..., Connecti
#6New Post! Feb 07, 2009 @ 16:43:23
@ultranewbie Said

oh my gawd! this happened in Canada??!! You know, i can see this going on in the U.S. There are scams everywhere, but Canada too?

I am very sorry this crap happened to your grandfather. $400.00 is a lot of money for anyone to fork over.

I hope they catch those a*****es..

sorry, roxy.

noobs must be forgiven,....but, if you call yourself Ultra, does that mean that you don't ever expect to change?

Roxy -- you ought to try to look in on the old coot more. If I were he, I can only imagine, I'd appreciate it.
Aging Disgracefully

Deleted

#7New Post! Feb 07, 2009 @ 16:45:22
@Saegespaene Said

noobs must be forgiven,....but, if you call yourself Ultra, does that mean that you don't ever expect to change?

Roxy -- you ought to try to look in on the old coot more. If I were he, I can only imagine, I'd appreciate it.

You can't blame Roxy for this.
honorbound On June 18, 2009

McDonough, Georgia
#8New Post! Feb 07, 2009 @ 16:46:48
next time you see them tell me
i'll march the Honorbound army up and bring them to justice!
Aging Disgracefully

Deleted

#9New Post! Feb 07, 2009 @ 16:49:01
It would be ironic if my cousin Brett catches them. Last I heard, he's a mountie.

Deleted

, Canada
#10New Post! Feb 07, 2009 @ 16:49:01
Thanks boys and girls! It really is sad!
They will probably never catch them either, as my poor grandpa doesn't even have any important details to work off of.
My dad notified the neighbours, who said that they will at least keep watch to make sure they don't come back.
But I mean, it makes us wonder, if they would come back, knowing how easy it was. Or if when they were up on thier ladders, if they were scoping out his house for anything.
It's a scary world out there. And with people's lack of morals, you never know.
The best we can do is spread the word, and make people aware of these elements in times like these, so people we love don't fall victim.
sAeGeSpAeNe On October 05, 2021
Part-time Nidologist

The other Bristol..., Connecti
#11New Post! Feb 07, 2009 @ 16:51:10
@spadge Said

You can't blame Roxy for this.

Don't be casting dispersions! I have not accused anyone of anything!
Aging Disgracefully

Deleted

#12New Post! Feb 07, 2009 @ 16:54:14
@Saegespaene Said

Don't be casting dispersions! I have not accused anyone of anything!

It just looked like you implying, `Well if you visited more, it might not have happened.`

Deleted

, Canada
#13New Post! Feb 07, 2009 @ 16:55:52
No worries, I understand what you meant.
It would only be a good thing, if he doesn't have too much alone time! And a visit from his favourite(hahaha) grandaughter a perfect opportunity.
annmountford1946 On August 15, 2011

stoke on trent staffs, United
#14New Post! Feb 07, 2009 @ 17:13:37
this happens in the uk too, at present we have been told that even bogus policemen are calling,and not to buy anything from your frony door ,i have a police notice that they can give you saying no salesmen i realy feel for your grandad
JR_Sanford On August 02, 2017

Portland (St. Johns), Oregon
#15New Post! Feb 07, 2009 @ 17:15:25
Scam artists prey on gullible people. They sit in their van scoping out neighborhoods to see where the "easy marks" are.

Don't you have a (local) TV news station up your way to report scams of this nature? Down here in (western) Washington we have KOMO 4 Problem Solvers where a team of reporters investigate events just like what happened to your Grandpa.

If nothing else, go around and inform his neighbors of the potential scam artists lurking in the area and encourage them to do whatever they can to get a license number and/or a good description of the perpetrators.

Thanks Roxy for letting us know your dilemma.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs