Houston Texas has elected the first Lesbian Mayor

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>
rocket48 On May 23, 2013

, Texas
#1New Post! Dec 13, 2009 @ 14:46:05
https://www.khou.com/news/Houston-Mayoral-candidates-Were-ready-79091657.html

The reason I am bringing this up is because even though she is capable of being a Mayor of the 4th largest City, why did she and the community have to make this about her sexuality. She was boasting about being the first lesbian elected. Why can't people just run for office based on their political career instead of having to "make" it about their personal life? Just wondering.
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#2New Post! Dec 13, 2009 @ 14:57:44
I dunno..
Why did everyone make such a big deal about Obama being the first black man elected to the presidency?

Perhaps it's because just a few years ago, such a thing would have been completely impossible, so some people see it as a progression toward equal rights and opportunities for everyone?
hedkandi1984_21 On July 23, 2013

London, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Dec 13, 2009 @ 15:25:39
@boxerdc Said

I dunno..
Why did everyone make such a big deal about Obama being the first black man elected to the presidency?

Perhaps it's because just a few years ago, such a thing would have been completely impossible, so some people see it as a progression toward equal rights and opportunities for everyone?

what he said lol
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Dec 13, 2009 @ 15:37:57
@boxerdc Said

I dunno..

This
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#5New Post! Dec 13, 2009 @ 16:29:03
progression
1. the act of progressing; forward or onward movement.

Wouldn't the fact that Obama is in the white house and the fact that she is the Mayor of the 4th largest City mean the progression has been completed.
The progression or forward movement onward to the white house has been completed for Obama
same for the women mayor in Texas.

Of course Obama didn't run on a race card and doesn't boast about being the first man of color now that he's there.

Isn't it more like as they progressed towards their goals they broke though all the barriers to clear the path for others. Now their progress/ progression is complete .
So now anyone else that has set goals and the gumption to follow though to meet their goals need only to follow the trial they cleared ?
From now on it should be all about a person abilities not there skin color or there private lives
deal1 On May 06, 2011
SECRET SQUIRREL

not of this earth,
#6New Post! Dec 13, 2009 @ 16:48:23
I'm not sure that she is the FIRST gay mayor of that city, the news said that she is the first OPENLY gay mayor of Houston.
What Iwannano said just about sums it up for me!
rocket48 On May 23, 2013

, Texas
#7New Post! Dec 13, 2009 @ 17:17:59
I say it has only just begun. Now we have had the first black man become President and Houston has had the first openly lesbian win an election, so what next?
The first gay President. The if he is white, the next would be a first black gay? Then what about the first Chinese American, The first Mexican American, the First, the First, the first. I am sick of all this s***.
Who cares if Obama is Black, who the hell cares if someone is gay. Elect them based on their effectiveness to govern.
I think this just sets back all so called minorities when they applaud winning based on their sexuality. Such a disgrace.
rocket48 On May 23, 2013

, Texas
#8New Post! Dec 13, 2009 @ 17:19:54
Houston did have a lesbian Mayor in the 70's, Kathy Whitmire. Everyone knew it, but she never "openly" used it to get elected. She was elected based on her knowledge. That's what I call a leader.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#9New Post! Dec 13, 2009 @ 17:20:42
@rocket48 Said

I say it has only just begun. Now we have had the first black man become President and Houston has had the first openly lesbian win an election, so what next?
The first gay President. The if he is white, the next would be a first black gay? Then what about the first Chinese American, The first Mexican American, the First, the First, the first. I am sick of all this s***.
Who cares if Obama is Black, who the hell cares if someone is gay. Elect them based on their effectiveness to govern.
I think this just sets back all so called minorities when they applaud winning based on their sexuality. Such a disgrace.

Theres a difference between someone being happy that they are the first previously oppressed group to be elected and them being elected because they come from that group.

Anyway, you ever seen the film Milk? Absolutely fantastic film, It actually makes you like Sean Penn, thats how good it is.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#10New Post! Dec 13, 2009 @ 17:23:01
@rocket48 Said

Houston did have a lesbian Mayor in the 70's, Kathy Whitmire. Everyone knew it, but she never "openly" used it to get elected. She was elected based on her knowledge. That's what I call a leader.

She was married to James M. (Jim) Whitmire. From Wiki.
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013