Animation

Homosexuality in children's cartoons

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 · >>
NNewt84 On July 19, 2018

Adelaide, Australia
#1New Post! May 02, 2015 @ 11:47:08
Okay, so I’m sure most of you are aware of the controversy surrounding characters who may or may not be gay in children’s cartoons, so let’s cut to the chase here.

I’m planning to make a cartoon show one day, which centres around a young girl in a small rural town. I don’t want to give too much away, but one of the main characters is a lesbian. This being a show for children, I will have to face the soccer moms (and/or dads) at one point or another. And unlike most children’s shows, where the gay accusations are either incorrect or lacking in sufficient evidence, it’s definitely true this time, so I could get it much worse. But here’s my question: should I give in to the soccer parents, or should I just ignore them? Because I really want to ignore them, but I don’t know if that’s a good idea.

Also, I would like to point out that the film ParaNorman had an openly gay character, and although it caused some controversy, the writer, Chris Butler, was sure enough to defend the film, stating,

"It was part of the tolerance thing. It seemed important that we be brave about it. If we're saying to anyone that watches this movie don't judge other people, then we've got to have the strength of our convictions." (see below for source)

Of course, that was a film, and films usually allow more leeway than television, so this example probably doesn’t apply here. However, I will say that, before I reveal the sexuality of my character on the show, I’m planning to do an episode that expresses my (and preferably the other writers’) views on the soccer mom crowd. The way I see it, it’ll probably be something among the lines of “haters gonna hate”, along with teaching kids simply to ask their elders if they’re unsure about something, and maybe I’ll throw in the standard moral of “just don’t let your kids watch it if you think it’s inappropriate, and don’t go blaming the network”. Again, I know this is still sensitive territory, but if you want to want to make an impact, you generally have to take risks, something most kids’ shows rarely do these days. But with that said, what do you, the people, have to say on the matter?

Well, that’s all I have to say for now. If you are able to give some advice and/or have any questions, feel free to speak your mind by responding to this post.

And, in case you were wondering, here’s where I found that little interview snippet:

EurPublisher. "The Film Strip: 'ParaNorman' Says You Can Be Weird but Bullying Is Not Ok." EURweb. The Electronic Urban Report, 16 Aug. 2012. Web. 02 May 2015. https://www.eurweb.com/2012/08/the-film-strip-paranorman-says-you-can-be-weird-but-bullying-is-not-ok/ /
chaski On about 20 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#2New Post! May 02, 2015 @ 12:25:31
@NNewt84 Said

Okay, so I’m sure most of you are aware of the controversy surrounding characters who may or may not be gay in children’s cartoons, so let’s cut to the chase here.

I’m planning to make a cartoon show one day, which centres around a young girl in a small rural town. I don’t want to give too much away, but one of the main characters is a lesbian. This being a show for children,...

When you say "children" what age group are to referring to?

Babies & Toddlers: 0 - 2
Preschoolers: 3 - 5
School Age: 6 - 8
Older Kids: 9 - 2
Teens/Adolescence: 13 - 19
boxer On June 16, 2016

Deleted
Banned

, Zimbabwe
#3New Post! May 02, 2015 @ 13:31:06
@NNewt84 Said
I don’t want to give too much away, but one of the main characters is a lesbian.

You've given too much away. You're supposed to hide the lesbian until the book in the hands of children, then have the lesbian leap out, tits swinging in the wind, with hairy armpits and a tie dyed wrap skort.. That's the way to cause controversy and that's what sells stories.
yami On September 11, 2016

Banned

grimsby, United Kingdom
#4New Post! May 02, 2015 @ 18:28:26
@boxer Said

You've given too much away. You're supposed to hide the lesbian until the book in the hands of children, then have the lesbian leap out, tits swinging in the wind, with hairy armpits and a tie dyed wrap skort.. That's the way to cause controversy and that's what sells stories.

They don't look like that in the movies!

Good luck with your venture...you'll need it, this is pretty controversial for a kids cartoon.
What sort of adventures do they have?
Hitting40 On November 20, 2016

The middle of nowhere, United
#5New Post! May 02, 2015 @ 21:34:11
I don't believe anyone's sexuality needs to be defined in any depth in a kids program.

Simply showing children, families come in all different combinations is enough.

Two mom's, two dad's, a mom and a dad, or just a mom/dad as a single parent.

I really don't believe kids need to be educated any further than that till they are a bit older.

It isn't as if we outline that mom and dad in previous cartoons have sexual relations and a specific sexuality, so why do we need to with any other couple
psycoskunk On December 24, 2020
Funky-Footed Skunk

A fort made of stinky socks, C
#6New Post! May 03, 2015 @ 20:21:14
I'd say it's irrelevant and pointless... to an extent.

For one, depending on the age group your show is going to be meant for, the concept might go right over their heads. For another, kids honestly don't really care about things like that mainly because the outside world hasn't had a chance to really indoctrinate with asinine crap like that. To a kid, they would just see it as 'these are so-and-so's parents' and probably wouldn't take it much further than that. And most importantly, because it can be such a sensitive topic, if it's not handled right then you're just adding extra work and trouble for yourself.

Honestly, I don't see why there needs to be as much of a focus on homosexuality in cartoons/games/books that we're currently seeing. Don't get me wrong, I think it's cool and all that there infinitely more acceptance than there was in the 70s/80's. Buuuut... how does Dumbledore being gay help Harry Potter locate the Horcruxes and kill Voldemort? Why is everyone making a big deal that there's now a gay character in Mortal Kombat X (Kung Jin) despite the fact that there's literally only 2 lines in the main story that give any indication that this is the case and it doesn't come into play in any way, shape or form in the actual game? Why did people give a s*** that Tinky Winky from Teletubbies had a purse?

My advice is go for it if you absolutely must, but you're just making more work/trouble for yourself. Maybe do an episode or two talking about it directly, but there's no real benefit for doing so other than a small chance that people won't get mad.
psycoskunk On December 24, 2020
Funky-Footed Skunk

A fort made of stinky socks, C
#7New Post! May 03, 2015 @ 20:23:26
@boxer Said

Also, she has to be the owner of a rug/carpet store.
PTF On April 24, 2017

Banned

Indiana,
#8New Post! May 04, 2015 @ 22:33:44
Hopefully...wait...Your nightmarish cartoon will never make the big screen nor the cartoon channel.
You can give BET a try to boost their ratings...good luck there.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#9New Post! May 05, 2015 @ 15:05:17
@yami Said

They don't look like that in the movies!

Very, very few look like that in real life. A gay man would know that.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#10New Post! May 05, 2015 @ 15:14:19
I'm not sure what the attitude of "Soccer Mums" is. Are they vehemently anti-homosexual or something..? I really don't know.

Having said that, whatever you do, you'd be doing the homosexual community a grave disservice if you portrayed your character as a stereotype. A stereotype will not only come under immediate attack, but would further cement the kind of negative image that we don't like and really don't deserve.

Rather, it would be more productive if you modelled your character on being an ordinary person who just happens to be a lesbian, because that is what the vast, overwhelming majority of us are. Very ordinary. Boringly so, mostly.

We don't typically wear dungarees, grow beards or smoke cigars and we sure as heck don't go around waving rainbow flags all day long.

Rather, why not just let your character have the sort of everyday issues / scrapes / adventures that all kids have, but let her do it with a female companion with whom she is obviously very close and also, perhaps, lives with. Understate the sexuality aspect, but just do enough to make it clear that same gender relationships do occur and are quite normal. I think that might just present you with a writing challenge to get your teeth into. Good luck.

"Gently does it" is a good way to go about things.

Banned

grimsby, United Kingdom
#11New Post! May 05, 2015 @ 15:19:41
@Jennifer1984 Said

Very, very few look like that in real life. A gay man would know that.

Bang goes that fantasy...

Banned

grimsby, United Kingdom
#12New Post! May 05, 2015 @ 15:21:15
I am sceptical that this has gotten the green light. Are you able to tell us more about the production company that is funding this etc.
With film/TV I have to say the proof of the pudding is in the eating, I can't give you a view until I've seen the pilot, will you be uploading it to youtube?
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#13New Post! May 05, 2015 @ 15:31:55
@yami Said

Bang goes that fantasy...

Sorry to burst your bubble, Yami, but I for one have never jumped out on anybody with me Charlies swinging in the wind.

Perhaps Eddie Izzard might be persuaded to try on the tie-dyed skirt though. Waddya think of that..?

Banned

grimsby, United Kingdom
#14New Post! May 05, 2015 @ 15:38:30
@Jennifer1984 Said

Sorry to burst your bubble, Yami, but I for one have never jumped out on anybody with me Charlies swinging in the wind.

Perhaps Eddie Izzard might be persuaded to try on the tie-dyed skirt though. Waddya think of that..?

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
last_wave_of_summer On May 06, 2023

Canberra, Australia
#15New Post! May 05, 2015 @ 15:58:00
I honestly reckon people spend too much time carrying on about the symbolism or whatever you want to call it in kids movies and books.

I read somewhere an article claiming the Lion King had racist messages...as a kid I didn't pick up on that, I just saw a great move. Even now I watch it and still don't get the "racist message" crap.

In the end I reckon it doesn't matter what message a movie or book is trying to send, if the "soccer mums" are homophobic and teach the kids the same then that's going to be their main influence.

The parents will always have a bigger impact on how a kid grows up regardless of movies, TV, Music, books, toys....
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs