Homework yay or nay

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
Bloodshot On November 17, 2010

Deleted

in your mind, Mongolia
#1New Post! Jul 12, 2009 @ 07:30:14
Not too sure where to post this really,anyway I was sat on the throne this morning when it popped into my head that when I was at school,I never got given any homework(or what I can remember I didnt).Do schoolkids still get homework?,if yes then do you think that homework plays an important role in teaching kids to be self-disciplined to accept out of hours work for when they enter the world of employment ?,or No,that they should be taught whilst at school and that homework just goes to show that the teacher cannot teach them properly within school hours? What are your thoughts and opinions on this topic ???
Eda On December 24, 2011

Newport, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Jul 12, 2009 @ 07:34:25
I am a teacher and i know that if you don't work at home you can't improve. As a kid i used to spend hours learning at home, but that just because I was a nerd I noticed that that in UK kids have no homework at all. They just go home with one activity to do. WTF?
Asmodeus0girl On August 23, 2011

Pleven, Bulgaria
#3New Post! Jul 12, 2009 @ 07:34:30
I'm not exactly a kid but I still go to school. And yes, we get homework. >.< It sucks, cause it's most likely some boring stuff we were taught the same day. I feel like some retard, writing the same things twice to learn it.
sexyevil On September 09, 2012

, Germany
#4New Post! Jul 12, 2009 @ 07:34:43
Yep, they still have to do homework. At least here in Germany..
Think it's necessary to teach them how to learn by themselves cause you really can't learn all the stuff at school. Some kids get the stuff faster, some slower and so they have to repeat it at home until they got it.
eternus_somnium On April 14, 2021
clinically crackers

, United States (general)
#5New Post! Jul 12, 2009 @ 07:36:47
I think homeowkr is good, in moderation.

Not 40 geometry proofs to do in one night or something, just a mixture of problems relating to what has been learned just to make sure everything's understood.

Oh, and none of this 1-hour-per-subject crap, when I get home from school I have about 7 hours until I start getting ready for bed, and I have 7 classes. I'm not gonna spend all my free time on homework. And I gotta eat too.
curiouskat On February 16, 2010

Deleted

Adelaide, Australia
#6New Post! Jul 12, 2009 @ 07:42:09
When i was in highschool, a set amount of time spent on homework was required for each subject.
Often in the form of worksheets, they would have no relevance to what we were studying in class and i'd be left thinking 'i dont get this work' on numerous occasions.

Things have evolved here quite well since then and my children only have homework if an assignment was not completed within school hours.

I think 8 hours a day study is all that is needed especially when you have the media pumping out those 'dont be a couch potato, get out and be active' type ads.
How the hell are they meant to find time to play and be with friends (developing social skills is also a necessity in my mind) if they are spending 2 hours everynight on homework?

If they are organised in class, they will have no homework, so the theory supports that developmental need also.
When all is said and done either way will have bugger all bearing on their futures regardless, some will succeed and some will not its life.
Asmodeus0girl On August 23, 2011

Pleven, Bulgaria
#7New Post! Jul 12, 2009 @ 07:43:51
Am I the only one who thinks homework is bad???
Bloodshot On November 17, 2010

Deleted

in your mind, Mongolia
#8New Post! Jul 12, 2009 @ 07:50:48
@Asmodeus0girl Said

Am I the only one who thinks homework is bad???

Well its the kind of normal response you would get from someone who still has to do it.
l_teddy10 On January 27, 2022

Detroit, Michigan
#9New Post! Jul 12, 2009 @ 08:04:07
No homework is bulls***. Teachers would always say well it's only an hour of homework or something. Yeah but what if every teacher in my 6 classes gives me an hour of homework? You'd go to school for 6 hours then do 6 hours of homework? That's pretty lame. Kids should have more time to have fun. And isn't that kinda taking away from extracurricular stuff? How are kids supposed to play sports and complete all of their homework every night? I guess there's some jobs where you work after hours. But most people probably aren't doing that. I never have and don't know more than a couple people who do.
x_Laura_x On April 02, 2024

Nowhere, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Jul 12, 2009 @ 08:13:28
Homework is important, but it f***ing sucks. Especially when all your teachers give you homework on the same night
sheepy On March 23, 2010

Deleted

Treasure Island, United Kingdo
#11New Post! Jul 12, 2009 @ 08:47:35
Primary school kids in our area (Or our local school at least) are given homework - we're talking about kids aged 7 and above.

I think it is a really bad idea, they don't get as much time to be just kids. I know many teachers there agree.

I never got any when I was at primary school, not until I reached high school. I detested it, we adults might think kids have it easy, but to them, school is hard work, they come home and they too want to just unwind and be themselves.

I think it only puts them off school work, and it certainly doesn't help the learning process whatsoever (I remember that from my time at school). It did nothing....absolutely nothing....for us.
eternus_somnium On April 14, 2021
clinically crackers

, United States (general)
#12New Post! Jul 12, 2009 @ 08:52:26
@sheepy Said

Primary school kids in our area (Or our local school at least) are given homework - we're talking about kids aged 7 and above.

I think it is a really bad idea, they don't get as much time to be just kids. I know many teachers there agree.

I never got any when I was at primary school, not until I reached high school. I detested it, we adults might think kids have it easy, but to them, school is hard work, they come home and they too want to just unwind and be themselves.

I think it only puts them off school work, and it certainly doesn't help the learning process whatsoever (I remember that from my time at school). It did nothing....absolutely nothing....for us.

I believe it's been proven that kids learn more without homework than they do with it, actually. Why nobody listens to that study here, I have no idea.
angelcake On January 18, 2016
Say whaaa

Eastleigh, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Jul 12, 2009 @ 09:18:46
@sheepy Said

I disagree. I never did any home work but I really should have done it definitely reinforces what has been learned in class, provided the homework is relevant and is a reasonable length.

Repeating the skills used, particularly in maths/science where there are set formulas, will help it stick in someone's head but it has to be a reasonable amount of work set with a reasonable amount of time to do it in. What that is I don't know but then again I'm not attempting to teach people!
x_Laura_x On April 02, 2024

Nowhere, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Jul 12, 2009 @ 09:20:23
@angelcake Said

Repeating the skills used, particularly in maths/science where there are set formulas, will help it stick in someone's head

There's an exception to every rule and I'm that exception, I can't do math at all
angelcake On January 18, 2016
Say whaaa

Eastleigh, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Jul 12, 2009 @ 09:28:00
@x_Laura_x Said

There's an exception to every rule and I'm that exception, I can't do math at all

I did say help it stick not preform miracles
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs