Teens

High School

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
HerbalTea On May 19, 2010

, United States (general)
#1New Post! May 10, 2010 @ 18:13:13
A sophmore in high school, I find the whole day to be just a complete waste of time. During every class I commit to frivolous amusements just to rally my jaded spirits. I have no interest in the monotonous nonsense my teachers insist on pounding into my skull.

Everyday at 7:35 I copy a whole whiteboard of gibberish; my chemistry teacher construes how those odd symbols make the world work.

At 9:07 I wonder if my sociology teacher's decision to present the film Sybil is actually a form of sick punishment.

At 11:13 my geometry teacher explains to me how, standing in line at the grocery store, I'm going to need to know the relationship between quadrilaterals and parallelograms.

At 1:47, until an impossibly far 2:35, my time is spent with George Orville's 1984 open on my lap under the desk while my poor teacher murmurs about contract law to 30 students who are physically present but yet off in some distant land.

Who is to blame for my sense of futility? Is it me, do I lack inspiration? Am I simply lazy? Is it the unmotivated teachers? Is it the seemingly innumerable faults of the American education system? Is "No Child Left Behind" hypocritically enforcing equality by leaving EVERY child behind, even those who show promise? Should the United States adopt a trade school system (students choose to go to either high school or a specialized school after middle school) from Europe? Or perhaps I'm the only one who feels this.

/dicuss.
Kristy69 On September 14, 2014
Carly's Mommy

Underneath the Cyanide Sun....
#2New Post! May 10, 2010 @ 19:19:13
@HerbalTea Said

A sophmore in high school, I find the whole day to be just a complete waste of time. During every class I commit to frivolous amusements just to rally my jaded spirits. I have no interest in the monotonous nonsense my teachers insist on pounding into my skull.

Try paying attention and learning something.

Quote:

Everyday at 7:35 I copy a whole whiteboard of gibberish; my chemistry teacher construes how those odd symbols make the world work.

Gotta agree here, I hate chem.

Quote:

At 9:07 I wonder if my sociology teacher's decision to present the film Sybil is actually a form of sick punishment.

Sybil is a fantastic movie and you should try to watch and learn.. Don't be so ungrateful.

Quote:

At 11:13 my geometry teacher explains to me how, standing in line at the grocery store, I'm going to need to know the relationship between quadrilaterals and parallelograms.

I don't understand his logic, but it will reinforce some algebraeic rules that I actually DO use daily. For instance when purchasing something and/or figuring out how much 25% off of $42 is.

Quote:

At 1:47, until an impossibly far 2:35, my time is spent with George Orville's 1984 open on my lap under the desk while my poor teacher murmurs about contract law to 30 students who are physically present but yet off in some distant land.

That's a good book.

Quote:

Who is to blame for my sense of futility? Is it me, do I lack inspiration? Am I simply lazy? Is it the unmotivated teachers? Is it the seemingly innumerable faults of the American education system? Is "No Child Left Behind" hypocritically enforcing equality by leaving EVERY child behind, even those who show promise? Should the United States adopt a trade school system (students choose to go to either high school or a specialized school after middle school) from Europe? Or perhaps I'm the only one who feels this.
/dicuss.

You need to stop taking your education for granted and realize that you only have a short time left until you have to work for the next 40 years to support yourself and a family and then die.

Yes, it IS true that a college degree isn't needed and there are plenty of jobs (even some careers) that don't require you to even graduate high school (but it certainly wouldn't hurt), HOWEVER those jobs are really rare and don't expect a lot from them.

If you drop out now, can you see yourself working at McDonals or as a janitor the rest of your life?
If that doesn't sound appealing, stay in school and start taking classes that will be relevant to the college major you have in mind.

I'm going to be a Kindergarten teacher, so I'm taking AP Psychology in order to test out and not have to take General Psych in college. Therefore saving time and money.
Pete On March 28, 2012
Master of Unlocking

Central Scotland, United Kingd
#3New Post! May 10, 2010 @ 19:22:50
You are already in class at 7:35 in the am?
_Samantha_ On May 19, 2010

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#4New Post! May 10, 2010 @ 19:25:05
@Pete Said

Yeah thats scary! Ive only just got to bed by then.
BozieFozie On May 19, 2022
Life's a Beach

Paradise, Florida
#5New Post! May 10, 2010 @ 19:37:53
@HerbalTea Said

/dicuss.

Herbal Tea, if I was your Creative Writing teacher and you presented your post as a journal, I'd give you an A+!!! You're funny and observant and appear to be a free thinker! YAY!

My experience with the Florida Public Education system is that it SUCKS big time...but like you, I question HOW to change it. I don't want to know what state you're in, but here in Florida, Sarasota in particular, it really is piss-poor. But I'm not an educator, only someone who volunteers in public schools, but I agree, it's enough to suck the soul out of a young person.

Thanks for expressing yourself so well!!
FinchMeister On December 08, 2018
R8UpLittleTramps@ss

ReganNormanMinionluv,
#6New Post! May 10, 2010 @ 20:02:33
@Pete Said

DAMN! I had to be in class by 8:55 Am.

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#7New Post! May 10, 2010 @ 20:08:23
I think schools over rated. I mean, once you can read, you can do it yourself, right?
Grasshopper On January 11, 2023
Just me.

Fort Collins, Colorado
#8New Post! May 10, 2010 @ 20:09:17
@Pete Said

lol. Wow, practically all high school students are at school at 7:35.

And herbalYea, just pay attention in your classes, it's not that bad. Everybody had to do it, and so do you. You'll apreciate it later on.
Just me.

Fort Collins, Colorado
#9New Post! May 10, 2010 @ 20:09:46
@_Samantha_ Said

I think schools over rated. I mean, once you can read, you can do it yourself, right?

Not even close.

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#10New Post! May 10, 2010 @ 20:10:25
@grasshopper Said

And herbalYea, just pay attention in your classes, it's not that bad. Everybody had to do it, and so do you. You'll apreciate it later on.

You must all be asleep through half of it!
Just me.

Fort Collins, Colorado
#11New Post! May 10, 2010 @ 20:11:37
@_Samantha_ Said

You must all be asleep through half of it!

Nope, just chug a cup of joe and you're set.

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#12New Post! May 10, 2010 @ 20:12:32
@grasshopper Said

Nope, just chug a cup of joe and you're set.

Someone needs a wallop for getting you all up so early as that.
Pete On March 28, 2012
Master of Unlocking

Central Scotland, United Kingd
#13New Post! May 10, 2010 @ 20:14:19
@grasshopper Said

That's lame. I'd probably just be getting out of bed by then, when I was at school.
Just me.

Fort Collins, Colorado
#14New Post! May 10, 2010 @ 20:14:33
@_Samantha_ Said

Someone needs a wallop for getting you all up so early as that.

lol. Jeez. I agree, I wish it was an hour later. But you know, you get used to it. Makes you really apreciate the weekends.
Kristy69 On September 14, 2014
Carly's Mommy

Underneath the Cyanide Sun....
#15New Post! May 10, 2010 @ 20:15:52
@grasshopper Said

Not even close.

I agree. Like, I'm sick of people taking their education for granted. Idk about you, but I go to a GREAT school in a county that hosts a really good curriculum.
I'm living it up as long as I can because before long it's be Work Work Work!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs