Forums:
Technology & Internet

Help to create "MY Ultimate Home Network"

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
bradsnw On October 28, 2008

Dawsonville, Georgia
#1New Post! Oct 28, 2008 @ 14:47:57
While I may not have the best equipment available, I do have allot and need help organizing my home network into my new house. Here's what I have...

13" Aluminum unibody Macbook (2 GHz/2 Gig Ram/130 Gig HD) - Leopard
15" HP Laptop (2 GHz/2 Gig Ram/320 Gig HD) - Vista
12" Dell X300 Laptop (1.3 GHz/1 Gig Ram/40 Gig HD) - XP

Viewsonic Tablet PC (?/?/?) - XP

Custom Media Center PC (2.93 GHz/1 Gig Ram/320 Gig HD) - Vista

Athlon XP Desktop (2.4 GHz/2 Gig Ram/80 Gig HD) - XP
G4 Mac Desktop (1 GHz/512 Gig Ram/? HD) - Tiger

HP Home Server (2.? GHz/512 Gig Ram/500 Gig HD) - Windows Home Server

Network Samsung Color Laser Printer

(2) iPhone 3G, (1) iPhone 2G

Dish Network VIP612 HD receiver

WGT45? Wireless Router - Office and Living Room are ethernet hard wired

So - I think I have accumulated too much stuff over the years. I mainly use the Mac and HP laptop for day to day use. The 2 desktops in my office are rareley ever used. The Tablet PC is only used for web surfing when I'm too lazy to go up to my office to get a laptop, and my iPhone just wont do. I do use the media center for streaming netflix, and watching some downloaded moveies and music. Ideally, I bought the home server for central storage, but when I use my laptop away from my house, I want my music and pictures on a local drive. Also want music and photos to reside on the Macbook for syncing iPhone to iTunes. I have never been able to sucesfully get my Dish receiver to join my home network. I would love to be able to save recorded TV shows to another hard drive for when I travel. I am ready to wipeout, and format everyone of these machines in order to centralize files, organize duties, and get this network up and running in my new house effectively and efficeiently. I also would love some automated cloud backup - possibly for the home server files. I have signed up for the free Osha account (1 TB) but it only handle media files. Any ideas on the best open source Media Center OS? Vista does not run very well on that rig. I would love to find a use for all of the above mentioned machines. Where the heck should I store all my files? Can I sync files between multiple machines, and still have 1 backup on the home server, and the cloud?

I hope this mess makes sense. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help you may provide.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs