Forums:
Business & Money

Help? Please?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
beckylenton On August 17, 2021

Nuneaton, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Aug 13, 2021 @ 12:51:35
I am genuinely unsure if this is the correct Forum subject matter to post this cry for help, so if it would be better suited elsewhere, please let me know...

I have a horrendous need to vent right now, so I will throw out my more succinct query:

Can someone here, please help my fiance???!!!

Cue background and rant:

My partner and I are in somewhat dia straights at present.

I work full time, we live in a beautiful 3 bed house (rented) together, we have a beautiful feline fur baby; and by all accounts should be fairly happy with our lot in life. Unfortunately, my partner has been in and out of work now since March '19. So why did you move out independently when you knew about this? I hear you ask...

My partner has entered in to a number of contracts with so many different employers within the warehouse/logistics industry. They have promised him just shy of the world for his continued dedication to the role. He's thrown himself at their mercy and committed himself, built his hopes up, bought the uniform, the safety boots; all for:
2 hours worth of work. Miscommunication resulting in him never receiving his start date (no matter how many times he calls them). Entering into the workplace and the roof collapsing (thankfully on the other side to where he was working, but still)! Providing a full 4 week's worth of work (in a weekly paid job) and not receiving a single payment for it. Being employed by one company who had let him go due to there 'not being enough work' for him, then overpaying him by a full month's wage (£1k+), then asking him to pay it back, after it had all automatically gone on to his direct debits. Starting a job in one ware, being relocated to a different warehouse under the same name - only to have the new location's warehouse have no record of his starting work there, upon returning back to the original workplace to make them aware, he was told that they had removed him from their books and he no longer had a joba at that original workspace...

Suffice it to say, he's not had much luck in the warehouse industry. I don't know if anyone here is based in the UK and manages/works in warehouses/logistics, but I can only judge from around my neck of the woods that the work is uncannily close to being like Victorian era dock work. I.e, where your life isn't worth a single iota - as long as a simple job gets done. He is in debt up to his eyeballs, and as an admin assistant on an admin's wage, I'm doing all I can, but the outgoings are far outweighing what's coming in right now!

All my negativity aside, I have noticed over the years we've been together that his face is turning grey. He's giving up hope. He's giving up on life. He has no heart to throw himself out there for jobs he knows he's going to want - only to have something similar to the above happen. Each time, he has been so vehemently adamant that a job is going to work out, we've moved our lives forward (hence moving into rented accommodation, getting a new car on finance)... only to have it torn away from us so cruelly. We have our wedding next year and I'm trying so, so hard to stay strong and positive; but I have no idea where we're going to be by the time the date comes along. Just last night we broke down while toying with the idea of leaving our rented house earlier than our contracted deadline, and offer our beautiful cat up for adoption with my soon to be father in law.

Earlier this week, my partner recognised he needed to retrain. Warehouse is clearly not working for him! I was thrilled (having a BA and MA myself, this was like hearing an angelic chorus ring around my head). His main concerns are as follows:

1. He has the lowest of the low GCSEs to go by - these are his only qualifications. He can't afford to redo any of them.
2. His work experience is warehouse/customer service related, he wants to step away from this because even CS is causing problems.
3. Owing to the heavy lifting, his knees and back are shot, his health isn't brilliant.
4. He has social anxiety to an almost crippling level, group work tends to cause him to panic and worry.
5. He has 0 belief in himself!

His interests?

Criminology - he would love to pursue a degree in the subject, but he doesn't think it financially feasible at this moment in time.
IT - He's had a keen interest and desire to learn about Cyber Security/disassembly and reassembly of computers, but he has no idea where to start/who would be willing to offer him work in the field and learn at the same time, offering a realistic wage for someone in his mid-30s.

In short, is there anyone online here who would be able to offer advice/a role/a welcoming hand/a doorway to a new role where he can finally start feeling happiness once more?! It's a long shot I know, but I have no idea where else I can turn to for help!
Na On February 27, 2024

, Florida
#2New Post! Aug 13, 2021 @ 17:12:43
Na On February 27, 2024

, Florida
#3New Post! Aug 13, 2021 @ 17:18:39
not joking

Nuneaton, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Aug 13, 2021 @ 17:45:12
I'm definitely not allowing him to join the army. Plus his physique would play against him
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#5New Post! Aug 13, 2021 @ 19:11:19
You’re going to have to be willing to provide all the income for the family for a while to make this work. If this means moving out, so be it. Definitely don’t have any kids for now.

A BA will take several years, so criminology might be more difficult. However, his interest in the tech field opens up some quicker routes. He can probably get certified in something in a year or two, then he can at least look for work and continue schooling afterwards if he so wishes.

But, again, expect to be the breadwinner for that first year or so, and that includes the cost of schooling. If you could make the necessary sacrifices to do so, that should also motivate him, with the stress of finding work off his shoulders.

Nuneaton, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Aug 13, 2021 @ 19:33:23
@Leon Said

You’re going to have to be willing to provide all the income for the family for a while to make this work. If this means moving out, so be it. Definitely don’t have any kids for now.

A BA will take several years, so criminology might be more difficult. However, his interest in the tech field opens up some quicker routes. He can probably get certified in something in a year or two, then he can at least look for work and continue schooling afterwards if he so wishes.

But, again, expect to be the breadwinner for that first year or so, and that includes the cost of schooling. If you could make the necessary sacrifices to do so, that should also motivate him, with the stress of finding work off his shoulders.

I think you meant to post this as a response to my earlier post. I full appreciate that. I have suggested he stop looking and just throw himself into retraining. The UK thankfully has a series of funding options available which would accommodate for it, I think it's his lack of self belief which is really holding him back from pursuing it all.

Nuneaton, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Aug 13, 2021 @ 19:52:47
@beckylenton Said

I think you meant to post this as a response to my earlier post. I full appreciate that. I have suggested he stop looking and just throw himself into retraining. The UK thankfully has a series of funding options available which would accommodate for it, I think it's his lack of self belief which is really holding him back from pursuing it all.

Apologies @leon - I got completely confused with where I was on TFS when responding
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs