Healthy self esteem vs. conceited?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5
KulliK357 On July 15, 2013
Sausage Snowman

Dingwall,Scotland, United King
#46New Post! Oct 05, 2010 @ 00:34:11
I don't give a s*** about it really, someone thinks they are great or someone thinks they are s***, their actions tell me more than their words.
davii On January 14, 2013
I'm Awesome

Deleted

London, United Kingdom
#47New Post! Oct 05, 2010 @ 01:24:40
Smart and pretty? I just condense it into one word...

Awesome.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#48New Post! Oct 05, 2010 @ 06:20:53
@sTreetAngeL Said

Behaving confidently is the key. It's not necessary to voice how you feel about yourself. Your actions should show all. And that's pretty much all that you need.

Usually, the ones mouthing off about how wonderful they are, are the most insecure. Of course, there are exceptions I suppose, where some may try their best to drag others down, and the confident is then forced to verbally remind them that it won't work; but usually this is a waste of time in my opinion...If one feels truly good with themself, these tactics won't effect them in the first place.

That's a valid point if we are talking about action in the real world, Angel. However, the question was raised in the virtual world of a message board site, where the written word is all there is to go on.

In order to reply to the question we must type our answers in, and it is difficult to do that without referring to yourself in personal terms..... which can be interpreted wrongly. The reader needs to give the writer a little latitude and see what they are really getting at.

I tried to explain my concept of the difference between self-esteem and arrogance by describing my motivation. Was that arrogant of me..? Was I attempting to tell everyone how they should live their lives..? Well, all I can say is that I did not set out to do that, but if somebody takes it that way, then there's nothing I can do about it.

When we come onto a message board, we inhabit a world that is largely unreal. We can write words, but we cannot demonstrate body language.... tone of voice.... facial expression.... all the parts of non-verbal communication that underpin the words and help to convey the full meaning of what is said.

It is very difficult to demonstrate our actions, by writing alone, in a way that would be clearly understood by all.
GSnap On March 02, 2019

Over the Rainbow,
#49New Post! Oct 05, 2010 @ 23:05:59
@Mysteria Said

Do you think maybe your mom was jealous of you because your dad praised you? I think my mother is insecure. She knew I liked him better when I was growing up (sometimes I still do) and she's admitted she thinks she's not really very attractive. I think she is. Anyway, I feel that she tells me bad things he says sometimes so I won't feel secure with my relationship with him and that builds her self-esteem somehow. This could be wrong but believe me, I've had plenty of time to try and figure out why they're the way they are.

My mother was VERY insecure. And yes, a part of me always felt that was some of it (dad lavishing a lot of attention on me). I was an only child until i was 13 and my dad always called me 'his little princess' and definitely spoiled me when I was little, i was a daddy's girl for sure. Me and my mom never got along, even when i was VERY young. She was a very jealous person by nature so I am sure some of this was at play. Now that I am older I can look back and see how all of those knock downs she would do to me were her own perceived shortcomings and an effort to make herself feel better. LIke i said in another post, when i got older she did send me a note and said she knew she treated me very badly and that it was very wrong, and that she was very sorry. So I forgave her. Not all parents are big enough to own up to it. Today I view her as a very wise women, because she is. She grew and changed a lot. (my parents were VERY young when they got married and that had a lot to do with it as they really weren't ready, moreso her than my father. my father is a natural with children)

She was insecure to the max. She was obsessed with her appearance as well. She would make me 'diet and exercise' with her as a young kid and was fanatic about the food we ate. But at the same time she was also a huge sweet eater - go figure. The diet and exercise part helped me in the long run as i naturally adopted it as a part of my daily routine being so used to it.

She (thank God) is not as bad anymore but we still have a personality conflict if we are around each other too long at a time but i think that is due to the fact we BOTH have very strong wills and she still likes to boss me around, and I am not having it. My sister was born when I was 13 and has a very passive personality and ironically she and my mom get along great.

IT all works out well now though since my sister lives in Maryland where my mom is, and my dad lives near me. We joke sometimes saying that when they divorced instead of each parent getting one of the kids, we both got a parent.

I am thankful really we don't live real close to one another. We still love each other wihtout having to see each other everyday. I think we have a much better understanding of each other now - she is not insecure as she was once.
Mysteria On May 19, 2014
I Am Rogue!

A Small Town, Texas
#50New Post! Oct 05, 2010 @ 23:15:35
@GSnap Said

My mother was VERY insecure. And yes, a part of me always felt that was some of it (dad lavishing a lot of attention on me). I was an only child until i was 13 and my dad always called me 'his little princess' and definitely spoiled me when I was little, i was a daddy's girl for sure. Me and my mom never got along, even when i was VERY young. She was a very jealous person by nature so I am sure some of this was at play. Now that I am older I can look back and see how all of those knock downs she would do to me were her own perceived shortcomings and an effort to make herself feel better. LIke i said in another post, when i got older she did send me a note and said she knew she treated me very badly and that it was very wrong, and that she was very sorry. So I forgave her. Not all parents are big enough to own up to it. Today I view her as a very wise women, because she is. She grew and changed a lot. (my parents were VERY young when they got married and that had a lot to do with it as they really weren't ready, moreso her than my father. my father is a natural with children)

She was insecure to the max. She was obsessed with her appearance as well. She would make me 'diet and exercise' with her as a young kid and was fanatic about the food we ate. But at the same time she was also a huge sweet eater - go figure. The diet and exercise part helped me in the long run as i naturally adopted it as a part of my daily routine being so used to it.

She (thank God) is not as bad anymore but we still have a personality conflict if we are around each other too long at a time but i think that is due to the fact we BOTH have very strong wills and she still likes to boss me around, and I am not having it. My sister was born when I was 13 and has a very passive personality and ironically she and my mom get along great.

IT all works out well now though since my sister lives in Maryland where my mom is, and my dad lives near me. We joke sometimes saying that when they divorced instead of each parent getting one of the kids, we both got a parent.

I am thankful really we don't live real close to one another. We still love each other wihtout having to see each other everyday. I think we have a much better understanding of each other now - she is not insecure as she was once.

I'm so glad she acknowledged her wrongdoing and apologized for it. That makes it easier to deal with as an adult. (???) I've done the same thing with my son. I couldn't wait until he was middle aged to admit my mistakes like my parents have with me.

It's great that you've got a healthy self-esteem and you exercise regularly. I'm sure she tried to be a good mother.

I'm also glad you're close to your dad.
GSnap On March 02, 2019

Over the Rainbow,
#51New Post! Oct 05, 2010 @ 23:24:28
@Mysteria Said

I'm so glad she acknowledged her wrongdoing and apologized for it. That makes it easier to deal with as an adult. (???) I've done the same thing with my son. I couldn't wait until he was middle aged to admit my mistakes like my parents have with me.

It's great that you've got a healthy self-esteem and you exercise regularly. I'm sure she tried to be a good mother.

I'm also glad you're close to your dad.

Yes, her apology made it a bit better. It also helps when you finally realize the 'drivers' behind it. It makes it all make more sense, but when you are a kid you don't realize that stuff. As a child i was much more inward and didn't socialize with people very easily. It wasn't until i moved out on my own that my natural born personality, which is more of an extrovert, was able to come out.

That is why today i believe i am an 'extroverted introvert' in that i love socializing and make friends easy, but i HAVE to take a certain amount of time to be by myself. I can't be in a crowd real long without feeling like i want to get away and have some by myself time! Growing up as an only child for so long with a critical parent i believe has some bearing on that.

I hope that you will be able to get along better with your mom too. Just try to realize she does this out of her own insecurity. DO you see her a lot? Is it feasible to limit visits? I am a firm believer that we can love family without seeing them all the time if they make us feel bad....

I don't know your living situation though, you might be in very close proximity to where this isn't very practical.

Mysteria On May 19, 2014
I Am Rogue!

A Small Town, Texas
#52New Post! Oct 05, 2010 @ 23:42:06
@GSnap Said

Yes, her apology made it a bit better. It also helps when you finally realize the 'drivers' behind it. It makes it all make more sense, but when you are a kid you don't realize that stuff. As a child i was much more inward and didn't socialize with people very easily. It wasn't until i moved out on my own that my natural born personality, which is more of an extrovert, was able to come out.

That is why today i believe i am an 'extroverted introvert' in that i love socializing and make friends easy, but i HAVE to take a certain amount of time to be by myself. I can't be in a crowd real long without feeling like i want to get away and have some by myself time! Growing up as an only child for so long with a critical parent i believe has some bearing on that.

I hope that you will be able to get along better with your mom too. Just try to realize she does this out of her own insecurity. DO you see her a lot? Is it feasible to limit visits? I am a firm believer that we can love family without seeing them all the time if they make us feel bad....

I don't know your living situation though, you might be in very close proximity to where this isn't very practical.

We live 16 miles apart. I don't see her for long periods at a time, but we do talk often. Things have gotten a lot better. I was really sick a few nights ago while they were out of town. She checked on me when she got back and has picked up some things at the store for me which has helped tremendously. I was too sick to simply take the trash out for a couple of days. Ugh! I really appreciate the things my parents do for me and it seems like they're trying a lot harder to accept that my son and I have different lifestyles. I complain about my family a lot but I do love them.
GSnap On March 02, 2019

Over the Rainbow,
#53New Post! Oct 05, 2010 @ 23:56:45
@Mysteria Said

We live 16 miles apart. I don't see her for long periods at a time, but we do talk often. Things have gotten a lot better. I was really sick a few nights ago while they were out of town. She checked on me when she got back and has picked up some things at the store for me which has helped tremendously. I was too sick to simply take the trash out for a couple of days. Ugh! I really appreciate the things my parents do for me and it seems like they're trying a lot harder to accept that my son and I have different lifestyles. I complain about my family a lot but I do love them.

That's good Mysteria.

It sounds like she does try to make some strides to do the right thing. That's great.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#54New Post! Oct 08, 2010 @ 07:28:32
@Bimbo Said

Ever heard of the art of precis?

Basically, if you're gonna be conceited - do it big! lol.

You know.... you really have a problem, if you have to keep making your cheap, sleazy little snipes. I discuss the issues and I make my points. You can accept them or leave them alone. That is your privilege. The style in which I choose to write is neither here nor there and I don't answer to you for that.

If you don't like what I say, then please feel free to put me on block, I won't lose a wink of sleep over it. But having to respond to your cheap, snidey, pathetic little snivellings is getting tiresome.

You and I would get on much better if you were to simply reply to the content of the message on its merits, rather than doing so in small-minded, petty acts of vindictiveness against somebody you jealously perceive as coming from a higher social bracket than yourself. Snob, indeed..!! How childish and pathetic..!!

Right now, all you are achieving is to live up to your screen name, and although I personally couldn't give a pigs' burp about that, it becomes a rather nugatory, time-consuming process for a busy person such as myself to have to waste valuable online time responding to an intellectual midget who seems to have nothing of any real value to say.

Now, either grow up and discuss the issues or just get off my back.

Message ends.
Sunsoaraa On November 01, 2010

North Lakes, Australia
#55New Post! Oct 08, 2010 @ 07:46:26
Self esteem is when you have confidence in yourself and your ability. Conceit is when you have an over inflated sense of your own importance, or regard yourself as being better than everyone else.
kingkong On October 20, 2010

Dundee, United Kingdom
#56New Post! Oct 14, 2010 @ 19:34:29
good self esteem is simply about how you feel on the inside. if you feel good on the inside, you have good and high levels of self esteem.

conceitedness is simply an absence of life experience. The more life experience you have, the more you will realise that conceitedness doesn't work.

it may also be a complex ie a superiority complex which doesn't move. that won't help someone at all
djkenetics On November 24, 2010

Conroe, Texas
#57New Post! Nov 21, 2010 @ 01:46:29
If you truly love yourself (healthy self-esteem) there will be no need to judge, thus no conceited behaviors.

Only people with low self-esteem will judge and conceit if the desire arises.
chisa96 On December 29, 2014
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#58New Post! Nov 23, 2010 @ 15:29:15
Maybe they're the same thing; it just depends on who's decribing the confident person. To that person's friends they would have a healthy self-esteem, while the same person's enemies would label them conceited.

It's basically just a positive and a negative way of describing self confidence.
lil_bear01 On February 18, 2011

Deleted

In my igloo, Canada
#59New Post! Nov 23, 2010 @ 16:00:36
Self-Confidence= Still caring and empathizing with others around you.

Conceited= Total focus on 'self' and placating others around you.
AlkiRose On October 11, 2011

Auburn, Washington
#60New Post! Dec 24, 2010 @ 12:29:57
@Grasshopper Said

Uhhh no, not really. You know how it hurts so much emotionally that you litterally feel an ache in your body? Like that.

Love yourself, screw what other people think. I don't think any acknowledgement of your beauty in a positive way is a bad thing.

I know of girls that sound conceded because they always have to say that they are pretty or w/e, but to tell you the truth, if that's what keeps them going and being happy with themselves at that current time then more power to them.

I think the people who should be counted as annoying or rude is the people who put others down to make themselves feel better.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs