The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Random

Have you ever moved to a foreign country?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2
PaNda On January 28, 2010
is Mysteria!

Deleted

, Texas
#1New Post! Sep 30, 2009 @ 22:05:54
If so, can you tell me what all is required? I know I'd need a passport and a visa(?). Someone told me it would cost around 30,000 dollars to have my car shipped over and I'm worried about my dogs being quarantined.
blackfoot1964 On December 08, 2016

Dunstable, Massachusetts
#2New Post! Sep 30, 2009 @ 22:09:32
I believe the cost is dependent on which country you are moving to.
is Mysteria!

Deleted

, Texas
#3New Post! Sep 30, 2009 @ 22:12:00
Australia or the UK.
sAeGeSpAeNe On October 05, 2021
Part-time Nidologist

The other Bristol..., Connecti
#4New Post! Sep 30, 2009 @ 22:16:03
How much any re-location will cost depends on the new location, and the distance from the old location. I have picked myself up and left the USA twice in my life. In neither case did it cost me $30K to ship a car, because I went without one. Before you convince yourself that you will need your car, and no other will do, you should decide on where you're going, and examine the 'driving conditions' there. In some places, it is actually impractical to posess a car, only because of the enormous expenses involved. It is cheaper, in many places, to use public transportation. If you have never been outside of the country before, you should be educated on the customs and peculiarities of where you are intending to move, as well as the language, and then plan on what you can or should bring with you. Good Luck!

The shipment of autos or animals should be arranged in such a way that their 'retention' after arrival is as short as possible. And, yes, animals usually must go through a quaranteen-period.
is Mysteria!

Deleted

, Texas
#5New Post! Sep 30, 2009 @ 22:23:49
@Saegespaene Said

How much any re-location will cost depends on the new location, and the distance from the old location. I have picked myself up and left the USA twice in my life. In neither case did it cost me $30K to ship a car, because I went without one. Before you convince yourself that you will need your car, and no other will do, you should decide on where you're going, and examine the 'driving conditions' there. In some places, it is actually impractical to posess a car, only because of the enormous expenses involved. It is cheaper, in many places, to use public transportation. If you have never been outside of the country before, you should be educated on the customs and peculiarities of where you are intending to move, as well as the language, and then plan on what you can or should bring with you. Good Luck!

Thank you for the reply. I'm thinking of Adelaide, Australia. My money can easily be transferred over. I doubt I would take anything with me, including the car as Australians drive on the opposite side of the road, etc. Did you have to get a visa to stay where you went? How long does it take to get a passport?
floydgirrl On October 08, 2022
Stalkee

Pope's Wine Celler, Holy See (
#6New Post! Sep 30, 2009 @ 22:29:18
Not that this will help you, but I went to school in the UK. I had a student visa, but the school got it for me. I couldn't work over there as it wasn't under my visa. I didn't take much other than some clothes and whatever books I wanted. I was only there for 6 months though. I would like to move back, but logistically right now I don't think it's an option.
sAeGeSpAeNe On October 05, 2021
Part-time Nidologist

The other Bristol..., Connecti
#7New Post! Sep 30, 2009 @ 22:30:14
Have you ever looked into 'moving' to Australia, before. The last time I did that, they would only 'admit' people who had certain 'professional' qualifications. It's much the same for foreigners who want to come to the US. You have to be able to fulfill the requirements, so.... Familiarize yourself with Australia's visitation and immigration requirements, and have a blast.
is Mysteria!

Deleted

, Texas
#8New Post! Sep 30, 2009 @ 22:53:34
@floydgirrl Said

Not that this will help you, but I went to school in the UK. I had a student visa, but the school got it for me. I couldn't work over there as it wasn't under my visa. I didn't take much other than some clothes and whatever books I wanted. I was only there for 6 months though. I would like to move back, but logistically right now I don't think it's an option.

Why is it not an option? Just curious.

@Saegespaene Said

Have you ever looked into 'moving' to Australia, before. The last time I did that, they would only 'admit' people who had certain 'professional' qualifications. It's much the same for foreigners who want to come to the US. You have to be able to fulfill the requirements, so.... Familiarize yourself with Australia's visitation and immigration requirements, and have a blast.

Yes, I've been reading about traveling as a tourist instead of deciding to move there permanently. My immunizations are up to date as well as my dogs'. The visa is good for a 90 day stay ($50) and the passport should be easy to get. Now I've got to find out about the cost of the flight. I'll be allowed to take prescription meds over, but I believe anyone entering the US would have a hard time getting through customs with things purchased outside the US. I could cross that bridge when I come to it.
Stalkee

#9New Post! Sep 30, 2009 @ 22:57:03
@Panda Said

Why is it not an option? Just curious.

I have no money.
and no job. I'd need a job, but I can't look without money. Though I'd like a job that would send me over there. I'm going to work on that.
is Mysteria!

Deleted

, Texas
#10New Post! Sep 30, 2009 @ 22:58:24
@floydgirrl Said

I have no money.
and no job. I'd need a job, but I can't look without money. Though I'd like a job that would send me over there. I'm going to work on that.

That would be good. I'll bet it's hard to get a job like that. What field are you in?
Stalkee

#11New Post! Sep 30, 2009 @ 23:01:10
@Panda Said

That would be good. I'll bet it's hard to get a job like that. What field are you in?

I'm an IT Project manager!
is Mysteria!

Deleted

, Texas
#12New Post! Sep 30, 2009 @ 23:07:12
@floydgirrl Said

I'm an IT Project manager!

I wish you luck with that. I wouldn't visit a foreign country alone if I didn't know anyone.
Stalkee

#13New Post! Sep 30, 2009 @ 23:08:37
@Panda Said

I wish you luck with that. I wouldn't visit a foreign country alone if I didn't know anyone.

oh I would.
and I have. You meet people along the way. And I'm an introvert and I still managed just fine!
is Mysteria!

Deleted

, Texas
#14New Post! Sep 30, 2009 @ 23:13:44
@floydgirrl Said

oh I would.
and I have. You meet people along the way. And I'm an introvert and I still managed just fine!

Cool! I'm definitely an introvert but I think my surroundings have a lot to do with that. I live in a small town where everyone knows everybody's business. My family's here, too, and they're the nosiest people on earth. I can talk to strangers without feeling uncomfortable. I'm not sure why.
Stalkee

#15New Post! Sep 30, 2009 @ 23:34:37
@Panda Said

Cool! I'm definitely an introvert but I think my surroundings have a lot to do with that. I live in a small town where everyone knows everybody's business. My family's here, too, and they're the nosiest people on earth. I can talk to strangers without feeling uncomfortable. I'm not sure why.

Then you shouldn't have much of a problem. I always had good experiences in the UK where people wanted to talk to me, because I was an American (even during the Bush Administration).
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs