Forums: Random:
Holidays

Happy Easter TFSers!

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Straightup On November 25, 2011

, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Apr 01, 2010 @ 21:33:35
What on earth does the story behind Easter have to do with chocolate eggs and rabbits though?
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#2New Post! Apr 01, 2010 @ 21:51:05
I have two answers...one joke - one serious.

Easter is the celebration of the resurrection of Jesus Christ. But it's a little known fact that Jesus had high cholesterol. So after the resurrection, Peter saw him approaching and said to the other disciples, "Here comes Jesus, hide the eggs!"

And the serious one is...Easter is actually a Christian take over of a pagan holiday celebrating the vernal equinox (Spring). The pagan festival celebrated fertility, symbols of which include eggs, chicks (the baby chicken kind ), bunnies and flowers. My understanding is that it was the churches way of forcing pagans to chose between serving God or serving gods.

Here's a link with some more random information. Easter and stuff
ninozara On April 30, 2020

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Apr 01, 2010 @ 22:03:58
@someone_else Said

And the serious one is...Easter is actually a Christian take over of a pagan holiday celebrating the vernal equinox (Spring). The pagan festival celebrated fertility, symbols of which include eggs, chicks (the baby chicken kind ), bunnies and flowers. My understanding is that it was the churches way of forcing pagans to chose between serving God or serving gods.

Here's a link with some more random information. Easter and stuff

A lot of Christian holidays are actually pagan festivals. I was taught that it was done on purpose to help the 'pagans' become Christian.
Not a dude.

Deleted

#4New Post! Apr 01, 2010 @ 22:05:53
@ninozara Said

A lot of Christian holidays are actually pagan festivals. I was taught that it was done on purpose to help the 'pagans' become Christian.

Yep that's what I heard, too.

That's why I celebrate a lot of Jewish holidays.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Apr 01, 2010 @ 22:07:29
@ninozara Said

Yeah, I read somewhere that it was part of a transitory phase between the old religion and the new. Obviously the Church didn't want an uprising on their hands so you can see why they stuck to what the people knew best and just developed it a bit instead.
ninozara On April 30, 2020

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Apr 01, 2010 @ 22:11:31
@sister_of_mercy Said

Yeah, I read somewhere that it was part of a transitory phase between the old religion and the new. Obviously the Church didn't want an uprising on their hands so you can see why they stuck to what the people knew best and just developed it a bit instead.

My history teacher told us that in one of the South American countries they have a festival around this time, and through the streets they have a Jesus carrying a cross AND one of the original gods from before the Spanish settled.

Basically, when the Spanish invaded they said, you have to be Christian, so the indigenous people sort of mixed it in with their religion
Not a dude.

Deleted

#7New Post! Apr 01, 2010 @ 22:48:58
@ninozara Said

My history teacher told us that in one of the South American countries they have a festival around this time, and through the streets they have a Jesus carrying a cross AND one of the original gods from before the Spanish settled.

Basically, when the Spanish invaded they said, you have to be Christian, so the indigenous people sort of mixed it in with their religion

So...would that be a MISSIONARY FAIL! ?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs