Halal meat

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Jul 10, 2010 @ 09:40:25
I'm watching Saturday kitchen on BBC1 and there's a feature on hahal meat. This Indian lady just said because the blood is drained before it's butchered the meat is more tender.

I wanna try some, has anyone tried it and is it more tender?
bob_the_fisherman On January 30, 2023
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#2New Post! Jul 10, 2010 @ 09:43:43
@SparklyKatie Said

I'm watching Saturday kitchen on BBC1 and there's a feature on hahal meat. This Indian lady just said because the blood is drained before it's butchered the meat is more tender.

I wanna try some, has anyone tried it and is it more tender?

Wuh...? Most meat has the blood drained before butchering... It is fairly standard, at least here in aus, to kill an animal, then hang them to drain and cool... I would have thought this was standard pretty much everywhere
\m//O_O\\m/

#3New Post! Jul 10, 2010 @ 09:47:46
@bob_the_fisherman Said

Wuh...? Most meat has the blood drained before butchering... It is fairly standard, at least here in aus, to kill an animal, then hang them to drain and cool... I would have thought this was standard pretty much everywhere

Well there's more to it than just bleeding it I'm just wondering if there is any difference in taste.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Jul 10, 2010 @ 09:57:55
A lot of kebab shops are halal, the pizzas they do also have halal meat on them. You have probably already eaten it and not realised.

I didnt know I had eaten it until i realised what the arabic sign for halal meant.

To me its no different in taste.
\m//O_O\\m/

#5New Post! Jul 10, 2010 @ 10:03:16
@treebee Said

A lot of kebab shops are halal, the pizzas they do also have halal meat on them. You have probably already eaten it and not realised.

I didnt know I had eaten it until i realised what the arabic sign for halal meant.

To me its no different in taste.

Yeah you're probably right, I don't eat kebabs that often but the ones I have more than likely been halal.
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Jul 10, 2010 @ 10:03:53
@bob_the_fisherman Said

Halal just means 'permitted' in Arabic. It is butchered by cutting the animal's throat so the blood drains rapidly while it is alive, not once it has already been killed. There may be some small difference in terms of how much blood is drained, but for muslims it is the difference between permitted and forbidden (haraam) meat.
\m//O_O\\m/

#7New Post! Jul 10, 2010 @ 10:10:52
@buffalobill90 Said

Halal just means 'permitted' in Arabic. It is butchered by cutting the animal's throat so the blood drains rapidly while it is alive, not once it has already been killed. There may be some small difference in terms of how much blood is drained, but for muslims it is the difference between permitted and forbidden (haraam) meat.

Yeah the animal must have been been fed a natural diet that did not contain animal by-products as well.

Some people say the throat cutting is cruel but I dunno, isn't it better to cut its throat and lose consciousness and essentially die in its sleep than be electrocuted in the skull, often not enough to properly stun or kill and then start to be butchered while still kicking, screaming, and most definitely alive?

I mean neither are really pleasant for the animal but if it was me going through it I'd rather the former.
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Jul 10, 2010 @ 10:13:01
@SparklyKatie Said

Some people say the throat cutting is cruel but I dunno, isn't it better to cut its throat and lose consciousness and essentially die in its sleep than be electrocuted in the skull, often not enough to properly stun or kill and then start to be butchered while still kicking, screaming, and most definitely alive?

I doubt that happens very often. In most cases an animal will have a bolt (like a bullet) fired into its brain. This would cause it to die instantly. If you had the choice between being shot in the head and having your throat cut, which would you choose?
\m//O_O\\m/

#9New Post! Jul 10, 2010 @ 10:16:46
@buffalobill90 Said

I doubt that happens very often. In most cases an animal will have a bolt (like a bullet) fired into its brain. This would cause it to die instantly. If you had the choice between being shot in the head and having your throat cut, which would you choose?

Well I've never heard of animals being shot in an abattoir. All the stuff I've seen about it involved electrocution. Yeah I'd prefer the bullet in the head if that's how it happens.