Guns. Which do you think?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#1New Post! Feb 06, 2014 @ 04:36:02
"The ABC News 20/20 special, hosted by Diane Sawyer and titled Young Guns, reported that 1.7 million children live in a home with an unsecured and loaded firearm, 98 children under the age of 18 died in accidental shootings in 2010, and 80 percent of accidental shooting victims are boys. "

Is it a good experiment that shows how children with access to guns are most likely to act?

or

"anti-gun," "a classic case of a news outlet making the news instead of reporting it," "ridiculous propaganda piece about kids with guns," and "the sort of sensational journalism that is not really journalism?"

yami On September 11, 2016

Banned

grimsby, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Feb 06, 2014 @ 20:40:35
BozieFozie On May 19, 2022
Life's a Beach

Paradise, Florida
#3New Post! Feb 06, 2014 @ 22:18:27
YES to packing heat....BUT, everyone should take a class to learn the correct way to use their guns!
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#4New Post! Feb 06, 2014 @ 22:26:34
If someone wants to own a gun and do so legally and take precautions to ensure they are stored properly and meet accordances with all laws in their area, I have no issue with anyone owing a gun. The sad fact is that many people who own guns have children and do not store them properly and as a result, their child dies or kills another child.

Its too easy for people to get guns. There needs to be a written test as well as a hands on learning test with the gun before one should be able to apply for a permit to have a gun in addition to a full background check and ensuring there are laws on proper safety and if your child accidently kills someone because you did not supervise your child or stored the weapons properly you are held criminally responsible, even if its your own child that died.

As to the media, some of them, like Piers Morgan, its exaggerated propaganda reporting and I am sick of it. I prefer news where they state the crimes that guns have stopped as well as the crimes caused by guns or accidental shootings from guns. We need both sides of the story to make informed opinions.

My school friends brother was killed when he was cleaning out his hunting rifle as he did not unload it first. This was a long time ago but he was in high school so he would have been a minor and while I think his parents were home, they were not in any way, shape or form supervising him when he was, as a minor, cleaning out a hunting rifle.
BozieFozie On May 19, 2022
Life's a Beach

Paradise, Florida
#5New Post! Feb 06, 2014 @ 22:30:28
We have guns, but we've both taking shooting lessons from a former police officer who has a shooting range on his property. I'm glad I did, because a gun is NOT EFFECTIVE if you don't know what the hell you're doing, it actually can work against you!
someone_else_again On May 20, 2021
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#6New Post! Feb 06, 2014 @ 22:36:54
@DorkySupergirl Said

There needs to be a written test as well as a hands on learning test with the gun ...

@BozieFozie Said

We have guns, but we've both taking shooting lessons from a former police officer who has a shooting range on his property.

I'm not saying this in opposition to you, just in addition: even with all this training, accidents still happen. I have a friend who has been both an Army Ranger and is currently a detective. He made a mistake at the firing range and ended up shooting himself in the hand.

Thankfully, he's okay and we can tease him about it but the point is, this guy had a lot of professional experience with a handgun and that still happened.
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#7New Post! Feb 06, 2014 @ 22:57:53
we kept a gun in the baby's cradle.
no telling if someone might break in while my wife was changing a diaper.
yami On September 11, 2016

Banned

grimsby, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Feb 06, 2014 @ 23:06:55
Guns & adolescents in the home don't mix.

https://www.nationalmemo.com/the-person-youre-most-likely-to-kill-with-your-gun-is-you/

The person your gun will hurt it you!

https://arstechnica.com/science/2011/04/guns-in-the-home-lots-of-risk-ambiguity/
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#9New Post! Feb 06, 2014 @ 23:15:47
@yami Said

Archie Bunker Gun Control

DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#10New Post! Feb 06, 2014 @ 23:32:07
@someone_else_again Said

I'm not saying this in opposition to you, just in addition: even with all this training, accidents still happen. I have a friend who has been both an Army Ranger and is currently a detective. He made a mistake at the firing range and ended up shooting himself in the hand.

Thankfully, he's okay and we can tease him about it but the point is, this guy had a lot of professional experience with a handgun and that still happened.

I am not being sarcastic when I say this but yes, accidents do happen thus why its called accidents. Even the best driver can get into an accident but we still do not give people the right to drive a car with no license.

It reduces the risk and reduces accidents but things still happen.

In Canada we have two types of permits a PAL and RPAL, pal is normal gun and RPAL is restricted weapon. You need to take class and test and pass before you can get either permit. This perhaps might be useful in other countries, I am not sure.

My friend brother who died, he was not expert but I am sure he cleaned a gun many times before. He is not here to ask but perhaps he thought he had unloaded gun and did not, something so routine one can easily forget if they did like when we leave home, did we lock the doors. We do every day and do not think twice then are not sure if we did. Maybe if his parents had been there to supervise, they might have double checked to see if unloaded and he would be here today. I see this as such a senseless preventable tragedy.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#11New Post! Feb 06, 2014 @ 23:53:34
@BozieFozie Said

YES to packing heat....BUT, everyone should take a class to learn the correct way to use their guns!

They even gave a class to these kids to stay away from & report said guns. Sadly- they are inquisitive kids. That does not work much of the time. Adults need to learn how to keep them from kids.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#12New Post! Feb 06, 2014 @ 23:55:11
@yami Said

Could we agree!

Football games don't kill people. People kill people?
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#13New Post! Feb 06, 2014 @ 23:57:41
@DorkySupergirl Said

If someone wants to own a gun and do so legally and take precautions to ensure they are stored properly and meet accordances with all laws in their area, I have no issue with anyone owing a gun. The sad fact is that many people who own guns have children and do not store them properly and as a result, their child dies or kills another child.

Its too easy for people to get guns. There needs to be a written test as well as a hands on learning test with the gun before one should be able to apply for a permit to have a gun in addition to a full background check and ensuring there are laws on proper safety and if your child accidently kills someone because you did not supervise your child or stored the weapons properly you are held criminally responsible, even if its your own child that died.

As to the media, some of them, like Piers Morgan, its exaggerated propaganda reporting and I am sick of it. I prefer news where they state the crimes that guns have stopped as well as the crimes caused by guns or accidental shootings from guns. We need both sides of the story to make informed opinions.

My school friends brother was killed when he was cleaning out his hunting rifle as he did not unload it first. This was a long time ago but he was in high school so he would have been a minor and while I think his parents were home, they were not in any way, shape or form supervising him when he was, as a minor, cleaning out a hunting rifle.

True. This is why we never had a home with a swimming pool. Too much of a liability that we did not want to take a chance on with our young kids or inquisitive neighbors kids.
someone_else_again On May 20, 2021
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#14New Post! Feb 06, 2014 @ 23:58:20
@shinobinoz Said

Adults need to learn how to keep them from kids.

The sad part is, that is not a difficult thing to do.
Jihadista On July 04, 2014

Deleted

Orange,
#15New Post! Feb 07, 2014 @ 00:28:49
@yami Said

Guns & adolescents in the home don't mix.

https://www.nationalmemo.com/the-person-youre-most-likely-to-kill-with-your-gun-is-you/

The person your gun will hurt it you!

https://arstechnica.com/science/2011/04/guns-in-the-home-lots-of-risk-ambiguity/

So the death rate from cars is about the same as the death rate from guns. Why does nobody want to get rid of cars?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs