Gravity: A Film about Men And Women

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
Hypnotica On October 08, 2023

Banned

Steel City (Sheffield), United
#1New Post! Mar 06, 2014 @ 08:47:01
There are two astronauts in space worth discussing, Sandra Bullock’s character and George Clooney’s character. s*** hits the fan and they have to abort their mission. Once the aforementioned s*** arrives, Sandra Bullock’s character somehow finds a way to chop each turd up in the blades on the fan and spray it on everything around her, all while magically avoiding the death she’s begging for with her technical failures.

Matt, Clooney’s character, is calm, cool, collected, and mission-oriented. He’s the boss, and he knows what he’s talking about.

One would think that with all the feminist claptrap about how women are just as capable of success in STEM fields as men are, Hollywood would have gone to some effort to show that ladies are at least slightly capable of handling anything related to logic, common sense, and science. What we get, instead, is Stone: an inept moron whose failure at everything mechanical is a constant danger to herself and everyone around her.

Stone, the ostensibly well-trained female astronaut:

◾Constantly fails to follow directions, because she’s strong and independent and knows what she’s doing. Except when she doesn’t and puts the entire mission at risk because she refused to listen to a man who knew his s***.
◾Constantly lets go of things she’s told to hold onto, while holding onto things she’s told to let go of. Graphs and computers and following superiors be damned.
◾Begins to feel lightheaded, at which point Matt has to f***ing explain to her that she’s getting dizzy because she’s running out of oxygen. She must have missed that class, based on the fact that she alters her behaviour to align with this shocking new information.
◾Freaks out when her oxygen tank runs low, at which point Matt has to f***ing explain to her that there’s still oxygen circulating around in her suit so calm the f*** down. Another class missed, apparently.
◾Doesn’t understand that landing jets are still jets until Matt explains it to her. I wish I were making this up. Watch the movie.
◾Doesn’t know what an airlock looks like until Matt explains it to her. An airlock. The basic structural portal that allows her to enter and exit the spaceship. The door. She doesn’t know what the door looks like.
◾Cannot operate a fire extinguisher without knocking herself unconscious.
◾Tries to escape in a pod that not only already has the parachute deployed, but whose parachute is intricately tangled into the space station it’s attached to. Somehow, she is surprised that the pod cannot detach in such conditions.
◾Nearly drowns herself by opening the escape hatch, fully underwater, still wearing her entire spacesuit.

And yet, somehow, when she accidentally manages to not-kill-herself, the audience is expected to respect and admire her for bravery, or something. I was laughing in the cinema, though I did a good job of keeping it relatively quiet. This is exactly what it looks like in real life when most women try to science.

I’m really proud of Hollywood for its accurate depiction of women who try to “do everything men can do,” in nothing but a bratty-little-sister attempt to one-up men. Also, another realistic portrayal of the career-driven woman: she’s completely alone. Having given up things like being a good wife and choosing instead to build whatever the hell it was she built in the movie, she ends up in her 40s, facing death in outer space, crying at the idea that nobody is left on Earth who will miss her or say a prayer for her.
fantasticpants On August 26, 2016

Dublin, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Mar 06, 2014 @ 13:27:33
Wow.... That was harsh.

Women are just as capable as men of working in scientific fields. Her character in the movie explicitly is not a screw up. She is trained in a different field and is not a astrophysicist or rocket engineer.

She's there specifically to work on the telescope.

That's what adds extra drama, she's not an expert at this stuff and is just making things work...which she does admirably by figuring out little things to save herself.

I don't think there is any sexist innuendo at all really, It sounds like you saw it because that's how you already interpret the world around you.
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#3New Post! Mar 06, 2014 @ 13:34:56
@Hypnotica Said

There are two astronauts in space worth discussing, Sandra Bullock’s character and George Clooney’s character. s*** hits the fan and they have to abort their mission. Once the aforementioned s*** arrives, Sandra Bullock’s character somehow finds a way to chop each turd up in the blades on the fan and spray it on everything around her, all while magically avoiding the death she’s begging for with her technical failures.

Matt, Clooney’s character, is calm, cool, collected, and mission-oriented. He’s the boss, and he knows what he’s talking about.

One would think that with all the feminist claptrap about how women are just as capable of success in STEM fields as men are, Hollywood would have gone to some effort to show that ladies are at least slightly capable of handling anything related to logic, common sense, and science. What we get, instead, is Stone: an inept moron whose failure at everything mechanical is a constant danger to herself and everyone around her.

◾Constantly fails to follow directions, because she’s strong and independent and knows what she’s doing. Except when she doesn’t and puts the entire mission at risk because she refused to listen to a man who knew his s***.
◾Constantly lets go of things she’s told to hold onto, while holding onto things she’s told to let go of. Graphs and computers and following superiors be damned.
◾Begins to feel lightheaded, at which point Matt has to f***ing explain to her that she’s getting dizzy because she’s running out of oxygen. She must have missed that class, based on the fact that she alters her behaviour to align with this shocking new information.
◾Freaks out when her oxygen tank runs low, at which point Matt has to f***ing explain to her that there’s still oxygen circulating around in her suit so calm the f*** down. Another class missed, apparently.
◾Doesn’t understand that landing jets are still jets until Matt explains it to her. I wish I were making this up. Watch the movie.
◾Doesn’t know what an airlock looks like until Matt explains it to her. An airlock. The basic structural portal that allows her to enter and exit the spaceship. The door. She doesn’t know what the door looks like.
◾Tries to escape in a pod that not only already has the parachute deployed, but whose parachute is intricately tangled into the space station it’s attached to. Somehow, she is surprised that the pod cannot detach in such conditions.
◾Nearly drowns herself by opening the escape hatch, fully underwater, still wearing her entire spacesuit.

And yet, somehow, when she accidentally manages to not-kill-herself, the audience is expected to respect and admire her for bravery, or something. I was laughing in the cinema, though I did a good job of keeping it relatively quiet. This is exactly what it looks like in real life when most women try to science.

I’m really proud of Hollywood for its accurate depiction of women who try to “do everything men can do,” in nothing but a bratty-little-sister attempt to one-up men. Also, another realistic portrayal of the career-driven woman: she’s completely alone. Having given up things like being a good wife and choosing instead to build whatever the hell it was she built in the movie, she ends up in her 40s, facing death in outer space, crying at the idea that nobody is left on Earth who will miss her or say a prayer for her.

If you're going to post something written by another person you really ought to give credit to the author (or maybe in this case blame).

Banned

#4New Post! Mar 06, 2014 @ 13:43:42
@Eaglebauer Said

If you're going to post something written by another person you really ought to give credit to the author (or maybe in this case blame).

If i post a link to the site in question. People will kick off. Im able to filter the crap from the sensible stuff. The site already causes enough of a stir. Im tempted to but theres some really OTT stuff on there which some people take seriously. Stuff like this article isquite light. To me its more something to read for a laugh. Not something to take super seriously.

But as i dont want to annoy the whole tfs population i keep the sorce to myself. Ppl seem to quite serious on here.
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#5New Post! Mar 06, 2014 @ 13:54:56
@Hypnotica Said

If i post a link to the site in question. People will kick off. Im able to filter the crap from the sensible stuff. The site already causes enough of a stir. Im tempted to but theres some really OTT stuff on there which some people take seriously. Stuff like this article isquite light. To me its more something to read for a laugh. Not something to take super seriously.

But as i dont want to annoy the whole tfs population i keep the sorce to myself. Ppl seem to quite serious on here.

Sure
thequietman On August 29, 2018
Scapegrace

Rusty Bullet Hole, Washington
#6New Post! Mar 06, 2014 @ 14:02:00
@Hypnotica Said

As portrayed by another "career-driven woman" who, you know, has a few awards on her mantle.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#7New Post! Mar 06, 2014 @ 18:25:35
Return of Kings is hardly an Internet secret. Thier writing is pretty recognizable.
Most importantly: it's copyrighted.

Which means in order to comply with the terms of service here at tfs, you need to post a few lines and a link to copyrighted material somewhere else on the web.

There is this thing, called google, and people put exact quotes in it...and it searches for them. Then they know thier work has been stolen (reposted without permission) then the sent threatening cease and desist orders to other website owners. Complaining that people are posting intellectual property that they are trying to pass off as thier own.
It's better to avoid all that and just put a link. All those "guest" posters... Google bots, and an occasional bing bot. Can't hide from google.

Banned

#8New Post! Mar 06, 2014 @ 19:18:19
@DiscordTiger Said

Return of Kings is hardly an Internet secret. Thier writing is pretty recognizable.
Most importantly: it's copyrighted.

Which means in order to comply with the terms of service here at tfs, you need to post a few lines and a link to copyrighted material somewhere else on the web.

There is this thing, called google, and people put exact quotes in it...and it searches for them. Then they know thier work has been stolen (reposted without permission) then the sent threatening cease and desist orders to other website owners. Complaining that people are posting intellectual property that they are trying to pass off as thier own.
It's better to avoid all that and just put a link. All those "guest" posters... Google bots, and an occasional bing bot. Can't hide from google.

Awesome. Now anyone who dosnt know about ROK will visit the site aand put more money in the pockets of Roosh and Co. Cha ching.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#9New Post! Mar 06, 2014 @ 19:30:51
@Hypnotica Said

Awesome. Now anyone who dosnt know about ROK will visit the site aand put more money in the pockets of Roosh and Co. Cha ching.

Oh so now you feel bad for stealing from them?
Imagine all the money they could have made if you had been posting thier links all along instead of copy and pasting.

Point is: link to copyrighted material that you found on the web when sharing stuff at TFS. Whether it be news, politics, or other social commentary sites. Mmmmmmmkay?
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#10New Post! Mar 06, 2014 @ 19:33:00
@Hypnotica Said

So it doesn't have anything to do with one character being 1st a trained professional career pilot-astronaut who knows the equipment/craft/ship vs the other being 1st a scientist on an astronaut mission.... two different people with two different perspectives on life-career-mission...

...it is all about male vs female.

Banned

#11New Post! Mar 06, 2014 @ 19:40:55
@chaski Said

So it doesn't have anything to do with one character being 1st a trained professional career pilot-astronaut who knows the equipment/craft/ship vs the other being 1st a scientist on an astronaut mission.... two different people with two different perspectives on life-career-mission...

...it is all about male vs female.

Totally Chaski. Totally.

Quote:

Constantly lets go of things she’s told to hold onto, while holding onto things she’s told to let go of. Graphs and computers and following superiors be damned.

Doesn’t understand that landing jets are still jets until Matt explains it to her. I wish I were making this up. Watch the movie.

Nearly drowns herself by opening the escape hatch, fully underwater, still wearing her entire spacesuit.

The above points in particular are common sense to me and 6 other people who looked at this. So that leaves 3 options.

We are all trained astronauts.
We all have superior IQ
Your just thick as mince.

Now I know the first two are false. But if those are things you personally need to be a trained professional to understand. I think you need to stop get the stabilisers off your bike for a bit. Tell mummy to stop doing everything for you. And dare to try something new by yourself.
LuckyCharms On July 31, 2021
Magically Delicious

#12New Post! Mar 06, 2014 @ 21:41:46
You have one f***ed up heavily skewed perspective.

I stand by my original assessment a few posts ago.
someone_else_again On May 20, 2021
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#13New Post! Mar 06, 2014 @ 22:21:34
@Hypnotica Said

We all have superior IQ

Now I know the first two are false. But if those are things you personally need to be a trained professional to understand. I think you need to stop get the stabilisers off your bike for a bit. Tell mummy to stop doing everything for you. And dare to try something new by yourself.

It's really cute when you make an error in basic grammar in a post intended to insult someone's intelligence.
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#14New Post! Mar 06, 2014 @ 22:24:45
@Hypnotica Said

Totally Chaski. Totally.

The above points in particular are common sense to me and 6 other people who looked at this. So that leaves 3 options.

We all have superior IQ

Please be careful about personal insults here. Thanks.
Dark_Tink On December 30, 2018
<3 Boobie <3

, Canada
#15New Post! Mar 07, 2014 @ 00:27:31
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs