Politics

Government clears up rubbish tax confusion

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
markfox01 On October 23, 2021
innit!

Welshman in Brum.., United Kin
#1New Post! Oct 30, 2007 @ 12:45:21
Householders could be charged for the amount of rubbish they throw away under new plans designed to encourage people to recycle more waste, the government confirmed today.
In an apparent U-turn by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, local councils may now be given the powers to fine households under the revised climate change bill when it is passed by parliament.

The announcement comes as MPs warned that Britain was set to miss targets for cutting the amount of rubbish dumped in landfill sites, leaving the UK facing EU fines of up to ?180m a year.

https://politics.guardian.co.uk/green/story/0,,2201814,00.html

This article actually made me annoyed.. It pisses me off whent eh government say that global warming bill isnt a excuse for another tax, but yet little stories like this come out.

I understand we need to recycle for the sake of the plan. but charging people for to much rubbish?? what if you have alarge family? Would we also get charged after christmas when we have 3-4weeks worht of rubbish to be collected? What about the manufactures like M&S who just recently has been stung by there wrapping not being recycleable.

WHy doesnt government start with industry first then when they can lead from the front hit us people.
pug On December 09, 2009

, Ireland
#2New Post! Oct 30, 2007 @ 13:22:48
All this will do is encourage more fly tipping, house holders in England already pay high council rates, there must be a better way like banning non recyclable packaging.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs