Gordon Brown - Opinions

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Jan 19, 2010 @ 22:24:26
Love him, hate him, nothing him, fancy him?

What is your opinion of our PM?
crazychica On March 13, 2011
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Jan 19, 2010 @ 22:25:41
He's done a decent job but the latest scandals have hit him hard. Not to mention that he's not considered very electable.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Jan 19, 2010 @ 22:32:35
He's alright. He was dealt a bad hand at the start as he had to clean up Tony Blair's mess. Also, the fact that he wasn't the leader of the party when Labour were elected might count against him. He's hardly the most charismatic guy ever but he makes up for it in other ways. He definitely hasn't come across very well as of late though.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#4New Post! Jan 19, 2010 @ 22:34:56
@sister_of_mercy Said

He's alright. He was dealt a bad hand at the start as he had to clean up Tony Blair's mess. Also, the fact that he wasn't the leader of the party when Labour were elected might count against him. He's hardly the most charismatic guy ever but he makes up for it in other ways. He definitely hasn't come across very well as of late though.

Really? The last two Prime Minister's Questions I think he's done f***ing brilliantly.

If anything I'd say he's looked stronger this last couple of weeks. If only those Blairite t***s Hoon and Hewitt weren't bloody so stupid.
dazzler On September 10, 2010

, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Jan 19, 2010 @ 22:39:52
@sister_of_mercy Said

He messed up in sums and plunged us into economic turmoil. He was instrumental in knackering this country; not to extent that Blair was but be paid a huge role. The so called economic tests, rules he wrote himself, then u-turned massively on.

'No bonuses for bankers' then when they all threatened to go abroad it was 'tax on bonuses' which we all know will be paid by the banks, or bonuses increased in lieu of the tax. Who's paying that? Us, because we own the banks. Farcical.

London, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Jan 19, 2010 @ 22:39:55
@jmo Said

Really? The last two Prime Minister's Questions I think he's done f***ing brilliantly.

If anything I'd say he's looked stronger this last couple of weeks. If only those Blairite t***s Hoon and Hewitt weren't bloody so stupid.

To be fair I haven't been watching Prime Minister's Questions. I watch Question Time every now and then but always forget PM's Questions. I thought through the whole letters written to dead soldier's parents thing he was embroiled in not too long ago, and yeah the Hewitt and Hoon thing. The fact that members of his own party are putting pressure on him to stand down isn't particularly clever so close to an election really.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#7New Post! Jan 19, 2010 @ 22:42:28
@sister_of_mercy Said

To be fair I haven't been watching Prime Minister's Questions. I watch Question Time every now and then but always forget PM's Questions. I thought through the whole letters written to dead soldier's parents thing he was embroiled in not too long ago, and yeah the Hewitt and Hoon thing. The fact that members of his own party are putting pressure on him to stand down isn't particularly clever so close to an election really.

I thought the soldier's letter thing was interesting as the Sun and ITV news really pushed that hard but even Tory MP's were saying it was an honest mistake.

The Hoon-Hewitt thing probably did hurt him a little but I don't think it will have a lasting effect.

I quite like PMQ's, Gordon Brown started off pretty bad but recently he's been on top form.
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Jan 19, 2010 @ 22:43:49
@dazzler Said

He messed up in sums and plunged us into economic turmoil. He was instrumental in knackering this country; not to extent that Blair was but be paid a huge role. The so called economic tests, rules he wrote himself, then u-turned massively on.

'No bonuses for bankers' then when they all threatened to go abroad it was 'tax on bonuses' which we all know will be paid by the banks, or bonuses increased in lieu of the tax. Who's paying that? Us, because we own the banks. Farcical.

I'd like to point out that it was more the banking system that was responsible for that and also a lack of regulation in the markets. The US get the blame for that because they reduced regulation in their financial markets first and it seemed to work so the rest of us followed suit. Boy did that turn out to be a bad idea.
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Jan 19, 2010 @ 22:44:45
@dazzler Said

Oh and it was the American system that folded first. As the economy of many countries was tied up with that of the US we all got dragged in. That's just the result of big business and globalisation

London, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Jan 19, 2010 @ 22:46:49
@dazzler Said

I agree that the whole 'bonus' scandal is somewhat ridiculous, as was the whole MP's expenses thing, but the economic turmoil was going to happen anyway. It was a global (pretty much) crisis anyway, there wasn't a lot to be done to improve it. I know it probably could have been handled better, but I think it could also have been handled a lot worse.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#11New Post! Jan 19, 2010 @ 22:47:45
See to me most of those things were incidental. Would have happened no matter who was PM.
dazzler On September 10, 2010

, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Jan 19, 2010 @ 22:50:22
@crazychica Said

I'd like to point out that it was more the banking system that was responsible for that and also a lack of regulation in the markets. The US get the blame for that because they reduced regulation in their financial markets first and it seemed to work so the rest of us followed suit. Boy did that turn out to be a bad idea.

Who was supposed to be monitoring the Banks? The FSA. Who ultimately have they been answering to for the last five years? Yep.

London, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Jan 19, 2010 @ 22:50:24
@jmo Said

I thought the soldier's letter thing was interesting as the Sun and ITV news really pushed that hard but even Tory MP's were saying it was an honest mistake.

The Hoon-Hewitt thing probably did hurt him a little but I don't think it will have a lasting effect.

I quite like PMQ's, Gordon Brown started off pretty bad but recently he's been on top form.

I think that after the whole expenses scandal that the Telegraph broke, the Sun wanted to try and create the same national reaction to it by getting into hysterics over the letters.
retep On May 18, 2010

, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Jan 19, 2010 @ 22:51:07
@jmo Said

havent you worked out that that was a put up job to demonstate just how loved our glorious leader is by labour MPs.

Dont you know tha Mandleson is running the show?

Do you honestly think that Hoon and Hewitt really wanted to force a leadership contest so close to an election?

I cant believe that you all have no memory of what a devious stealth taxing, gold selling, pension stealing, election ducking useless bugger this guy is.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#15New Post! Jan 19, 2010 @ 22:51:08
@sister_of_mercy Said

I think that after the whole expenses scandal that the Telegraph broke, the Sun wanted to try and create the same national reaction to it.

Probably. I think it's quite sad when the Sun try and get involved in politics.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs