The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Religion & Philosophy

God sins a lot but is there no end to God?s greed?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
GreatestIam2 On January 06, 2023

Ottawa, Canada
#1New Post! Jan 13, 2011 @ 22:02:45

"Jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sado-masochistic, capriciously malevolent bully" - Richard Dawkins.

Dawkins has listed a few of the --qualities-- that he has gleaned from reading scriptures.

He seems to have forgotten God?s main sin though, that of greed and coveting.

God, in his greed, wants or more rightly said, demands, that we love, honor, and obey him and repent for sinning against him when in reality, man can only sins against man.
Any that dare not give all that he greedily covets is punished quite severely. This shows the depth of his greed. Scripture is surely on the mark when it says that he is a jealous God and God live up to this label quite well. Scripture also says that we are to try to be as perfect as God and that would mean having all the immoral attributes shown here.

Most, including the pope and other main line religions hierarchies believe in evolution. Evolution tells us that God, if he exists at all and that is not really a proven fact, would have lived may years before creating mankind. Most think that God is and always has been perfect and never changing.

In the beginning there would only have been God. No one or anything to be jealous of.
Nothing to covet, no one to control etc.

If Dawkins list has some accuracy in it and I am told by theists that it does, where did these attributes come from. They all seem so human that one would think that a God would be above such petty and immoral attributes.

One would think that a good God would only have good attributes but as we know, he cannot or will not follow his own commandments.
A human law maker is expected to follow the law and we see this as good morals yet theist follow a God who is acting less moral than men.

Strange.

How then did he suddenly become so jealous and greedy?
Even to the point of coveting another man?s woman, Mary.

Are there no commandments worthy of him following?

Are we to follow a law maker who does not follow his own laws?

Regards
DL
brunettebunny On June 13, 2011

, California
#2New Post! Jan 14, 2011 @ 21:11:35
@GreatestIam2 Said

"Jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sado-masochistic, capriciously malevolent bully" - Richard Dawkins.

Dawkins has listed a few of the --qualities-- that he has gleaned from reading scriptures.

God, in his greed, wants or more rightly said, demands, that we love, honor, and obey him and repent for sinning against him when in reality, man can only sins against man.
Any that dare not give all that he greedily covets is punished quite severely. This shows the depth of his greed. Scripture is surely on the mark when it says that he is a jealous God and God live up to this label quite well. Scripture also says that we are to try to be as perfect as God and that would mean having all the immoral attributes shown here.

Most, including the pope and other main line religions hierarchies believe in evolution. Evolution tells us that God, if he exists at all and that is not really a proven fact, would have lived may years before creating mankind. Most think that God is and always has been perfect and never changing.

In the beginning there would only have been God. No one or anything to be jealous of.

If Dawkins list has some accuracy in it and I am told by theists that it does, where did these attributes come from. They all seem so human that one would think that a God would be above such petty and immoral attributes.

One would think that a good God would only have good attributes but as we know, he cannot or will not follow his own commandments.
A human law maker is expected to follow the law and we see this as good morals yet theist follow a God who is acting less moral than men.

Strange.

Regards
DL

The only reason you view God as this, is because you do not agree that he is the creator of the world. So of course your going to think that he is greedy.

JUst for a second, you were the creator of the universe. You would have all the right to have everything. It belongs to you. You set the rules for human kind. Yet as creator, you are over everything. Even the law bc that is for human kind. Yet, As creator you are angry bc it is just anger that your ppl have turned away from you. You take away things that you have given bc you have a better plan. ect.

You have viewed the scriptures with your world-view, your subjectivness.

, California
#3New Post! Jan 14, 2011 @ 21:13:58
... Which is fine. But is it really fair for you to bash on such things, and claim that you are smarter than those that have not realized this, but in reality you have only viewed it the way you want it to be.

Ottawa, Canada
#4New Post! Jan 14, 2011 @ 21:57:10
@brunettebunny Said

The only reason you view God as this, is because you do not agree that he is the creator of the world. So of course your going to think that he is greedy.

JUst for a second, you were the creator of the universe. You would have all the right to have everything. It belongs to you. You set the rules for human kind. Yet as creator, you are over everything. Even the law bc that is for human kind. Yet, As creator you are angry bc it is just anger that your ppl have turned away from you. You take away things that you have given bc you have a better plan. ect.

You have viewed the scriptures with your world-view, your subjectivness.

It all belongs to God eh.

Man, for some time now, has determined that to own humans, slavery, was immoral.

Let me know if your imaginary God ever catches up to our human morals that seem to have exceeded his by quite a bit.
In the meantime, enjoy being someone elses property.

Regards
DL

Ottawa, Canada
#5New Post! Jan 14, 2011 @ 22:03:06
@N03/ 5355658072/sizes/m/in/photostream/" target=_blank >undefined
@brunettebunny Said

... Which is fine. But is it really fair for you to bash on such things, and claim that you are smarter than those that have not realized this, but in reality you have only viewed it the way you want it to be.

@N03/ 5355658072/sizes/m/in/photostream/" rel="shadowbox" border=0>@N03/ 5355658072/sizes/m/in/photostream/">

, California
#6New Post! Jan 14, 2011 @ 22:10:40
Its seems you cant admit that you are looking at this very subjectively.
offbeat On November 18, 2022

london, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Jan 14, 2011 @ 22:14:57
@GreatestIam2 Said

Strange.

Regards
DL

dawkins forgot to mention that god is a t*** !...yes that's right god ,i just called you a t*** ......so where's the lightning bolt then ? huh ? huh ?
Ko On January 25, 2011
\\m/(>.<)\\m/

949 Orange County, California
#8New Post! Jan 14, 2011 @ 22:16:12
@GreatestIam2 Said

@N03/ 5355658072/sizes/m/in/photostream/" target=_blank >undefined

I hate that!
I don't know what it links to but I just hate that word.

Whenever I see this, it's always coding or template parsing problems in websites or mainly forums.
tariki On September 16, 2012

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Jan 15, 2011 @ 12:02:17

DL, I think you have admitted in the past that your true target is not so much God, but the Biblical Literalists and Fundamentalists. Like you, I find such expressions of Christianity toxic, and though this is often denied, personally I believe that it is a combination of pure fear, and the peer pressure within each "worship" group that is the main reason why such beliefs carry on.

Obviously, in what could be termed a more "mature" Christian expression, the "jealousy" of God has more to do with the fact that the Divine wishes the very best for us, and given that that is exactly what we would wish ourselves, the Divine is therefore "jealous" in the sense of not wishing us to choose anything other than the best. Again, the best would seem to be living in such a way, eventually, as to love and do what you will, a true freedom of the spirit. It is sad that jealosy is understood by many in such a way that God becomes in effect a petty tyrant striking out at "false gods" and at those who would dare to follow them.

I say "eventually", in the meantime I find the best idea is as expressed by William Blake, who said "mutual forgiveness of each vice opens the gates of paradise". And in addition, personally, I have no love of "narrow ways", I think we are all in it together, and eventually, what comes to one must come to all. They do Him wrong who take God in one particular way, they have the way rather than God. (Eckhart) Indeed they do.

Anyway, "the wife" has just called, "she who must be obeyed", I must hoover the lounge............

All the best

Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs