God gave us free will?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 · >>
jazzsinger On October 15, 2008

Deleted

Phila. suburbs, Pennsylvania
#61New Post! Sep 23, 2008 @ 15:21:40
I wasn't finished, I meant that we can't control how we were raised, but it is our freewill that chooses what we do with it. Human nature can be adjusted if someone wants to change their behavior. This is giving me a headache again, because I chose to get involved.

Deleted

#62New Post! Sep 23, 2008 @ 15:28:58
We are not in control of nature or nuture, we are not in control of our actions. Sorry, but that's a rather simplistic view of things. It may be my nature to yell, but time and choice have changed that in me. I wrote more, but pressed the wrong button, and don't choose to repeat it. I won't laugh, but your last sentence makes no sense at all. Someone without a conscience is called a sociopath, I hope that most people have one. You're not a parent, so understanding why someone wouldn't eat their child's portion is another thread.
Wheezy_Knight On February 24, 2012

Deleted

Ankh-Morpork, United Kingdom
#63New Post! Sep 24, 2008 @ 07:09:10
Q Why did the chicken cross the road?

A- Atheist: Because it wanted to. It had free choice in the matter and decided the other side of the road was a better locale.

A- Theist: Because God loved it, was guiding it's actions, and it knew it was safe to cross at that moment.

A- Fundamentalist: Because God would have smitten it down if it had dared to defy him at that point! Any chicken that defies his will deserves to be smitten, and it clearly says in the bible that "thou shall cross the road if thou is a chicken". That is the holy word of god and is irrefutable.

A- Trucker: To help me fill my roadkill quota for the day.

I'm not being as peverse as it may appear, the question of why did the chicken cross the road is a valid one on this thread.

buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#64New Post! Sep 24, 2008 @ 15:50:03
@jazzsinger Said
We are not in control of nature or nuture, we are not in control of our actions. Sorry, but that's a rather simplistic view of things. It may be my nature to yell, but time and choice have changed that in me. I wrote more, but pressed the wrong button, and don't choose to repeat it. I won't laugh, but your last sentence makes no sense at all. Someone without a conscience is called a sociopath, I hope that most people have one. You're not a parent, so understanding why someone wouldn't eat their child's portion is another thread.

A sociopath isn't someone without a 'conscience', it's someone who has a difficulty interacting with people because of a mental abnormality. Conscience is not a definite thing. It is an ambiguous concept generally accepted as meaning the shared cultural codes of behaviour which people are aware that they are supposed to follow. They may choose not to follow these code because ignoring them is more desirable at the time. This choice isn't 'free', it simply depends on your conditioning.

Everything you choose is what you want to choose. You can't choose to do something you don't want to do, or simply act randomly and without reason.

How do you know I'm not a parent?
duploshoes On March 03, 2009

Deleted

Leicester, United Kingdom
#65New Post! Sep 24, 2008 @ 16:10:19
I rename this thread "Semantics".

Deleted

#66New Post! Sep 24, 2008 @ 17:24:16
Semantics for sure. So that we get the current name for sociopath; and the most current definitions I will include them. We could nit pick all day, but you're not wrong, but we interpret lack of conscience differently.Someone with antisocial personality disorder does not care about their effect on the world, I see this as lack of conscience

Antisocial personality disorder: A pervasive pattern of disregard for and violation of the rights of others and inability or unwillingness to conform to what are considered to be the norms of society.
The disorder involves a history of chronic antisocial behavior that begins before the age of 15 and continues into adulthood. The disorder is manifested by a pattern of irresponsible and antisocial behavior as indicated by academic failure, poor job performance, illegal activities, recklessness, and impulsive behavior. Symptoms may include dysphoria, an inability to tolerate boredom, feeling victimized, and a diminished capacity for intimacy.
Antisocial personality disorder, also known as psychopathic personality or sociopathic personality often brings a person into conflict with society as a consequence of a pattern of behavior that is amoral and unethical. Complications that might arise from having this disorder include: frequent imprisonment for unlawful behavior, alcoholism and drug abuse.
Samson may, it is thought, have had antisocial personality disorder. The Bible tells of his lies to his parents, his cruelty to animals, his torching the Philistine fields, his frequent brawls, and his unremitting bragging after killing a thousand men, actions fitting the diagnosis of antisocial personality disorder. A person with antisocial personality disorder was once called a sociopath.

a?mor?al
adj.
1. Not admitting of moral distinctions or judgments; neither moral nor immoral.
2. Lacking moral sensibility; not caring about right and wrong.I see this as lack of conscience.
Amoral is sometimes confused with immoral. The a- at the beginning of the word means `without' or `lacking', so the word is properly used of people who have no moral code, or about places or situations where moral considerations do not apply: the film was violent and amoral. In contrast immoral should be used to talk about the breaking of moral rules, as in: drug dealing is the most immoral and evil of all human activities

Good and evil ? morality These are the textbook definitions and they can be picked apart all day long. I say a person has no conscience, because to me it means not caring how their behavior affects the world.
Yes, lack of a moral code is true.
I dealt with this behavior for 25 years, and find that they just don't care. There is no empathy in thie behavior pattern. They feel no emotional pain for care about another human being. They are totally self involved. When I have dealt with many sociopaths ( I'll use because it's a more recognizable term) they just don't care.
You make valid however incomplete points.
Personally , I have seen this occur in people from all kinds of backgrounds and believe that thye are born this way. Many would say, "they're wired wrong."
This is a professional viewpoint which I will stick with, experience and education has me informed.

Your profile says that you're 18, if so, you'd be a very young parent. I know it's possible, but I doubt it.
bogie On June 27, 2009

#67New Post! Sep 24, 2008 @ 18:51:05
@duploshoes Said
I rename this thread "Semantics".

man, you got that right. i thought i asked a fairly simple question to summarize my original op. simply, does a god fearing faithful one, let's make it easy and use a christian, give up free will when he has faith in his beilief? just that folks. i did not ask if everybody has free will or nobody has free will or anybody has free will. just this one question. that's it. christians often excuse the dastardly deads that christians past have committed by saying that god gave man free will. is that so i ask? where is a christian's free will if he makes himself subserviant to god? how is his will free if it's blaspheme to question the existance of god? does everybody get it now? does anybody get it? jeez, enough with symantics.

Deleted

#68New Post! Sep 24, 2008 @ 19:21:14
Easy answer, as a Christian, your will remains your own,God expects you to have failures and make wrong choices." Good night nurse "
Have a good day Bogie, I'm done.
duploshoes On March 03, 2009

Deleted

Leicester, United Kingdom
#69New Post! Sep 25, 2008 @ 01:09:48
@bogie Said
man, you got that right. i thought i asked a fairly simple question to summarize my original op. simply, does a god fearing faithful one, let's make it easy and use a christian, give up free will when he has faith in his beilief? just that folks. i did not ask if everybody has free will or nobody has free will or anybody has free will. just this one question. that's it. christians often excuse the dastardly deads that christians past have committed by saying that god gave man free will. is that so i ask? where is a christian's free will if he makes himself subserviant to god? how is his will free if it's blaspheme to question the existance of god? does everybody get it now? does anybody get it? jeez, enough with symantics.

Well, people have their own little agendas and leap on any topic that comes near to that agenda. Sometimes they can feel clever by slightly twisting the logic or by saying things like, "actually the origin of that word means banana and despite the fact that it's commonly used in a different way you can't take away it's banana qualities".

Example:
I have said many times on these forums that "pushing speculation (religion) on children is abuse" and people still read it wrongly by answering, "there's nothing wrong in teaching religion to children".

Where did the word "teaching" come from? Them.

Basically, they read the initial post in a way that suits them.
bogie On June 27, 2009

#70New Post! Sep 25, 2008 @ 02:35:11
uh huh

Deleted

#71New Post! Sep 25, 2008 @ 02:39:40
Tired Bogie?
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#72New Post! Sep 25, 2008 @ 02:54:44
@Wheezy_Knight Said
Q Why did the chicken cross the road?

to get away from the bible thumping evangelistic creep that kept telling chicken that he was going to hell.
chips On September 25, 2008

Deleted

, Australia
#73New Post! Sep 25, 2008 @ 02:59:18
wahoozidotcom On October 21, 2008

Farmington,
#74New Post! Sep 25, 2008 @ 03:16:03
You are right, although, in all things there are only oppinions and your own reality according to you. your free to believe whatever you want that is free will god gives us the choice to be good or not to be good. but if what your asking for is an escape from consequences, then you might as well accept there is no such thing. if we didn't have free will then we would be forced to either do good or evil wich either way the result is the same. evil.
wahoozidotcom On October 21, 2008

Farmington,
#75New Post! Sep 25, 2008 @ 19:37:43
If I tell my son to not touch the fire while we are camping, and he doesn't, does his choice to obey his father take away his free will. no. he can at any time make the choice to leap into it if he wants. what he can not change is the consequence of that choice. if you believe in and follow rules of christianity, or any law of the land, you still have the freedom to change those choices at any time. If your seeking a justification in your quest to change cause and effect. you will never recieve it. fire is fire, it will always have the same outcome.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs