Religion & Philosophy

God and evolution

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 ...7 8 9 · >>
cGobla On March 15, 2018

Polcenigo, Italy
#1New Post! Sep 07, 2008 @ 00:45:06
For those that believe in god do you believe in evolution? If yes or no why?
backseatcynic On January 19, 2010

Henryetta, Oklahoma
#2New Post! Sep 07, 2008 @ 02:47:34
Absolutely. I am a faithful man and evolution works fine for me. The Bible doesn't have to be taken literally. It's full of stories. Some are history, some are lessons, and some are metaphorical. It's up to your faith to determine what happened as it reads and what happened otherwise. What's important I think, is that if God created the world in six 24-hour days, or if it took 4.5 billion years to get from a chunk of rock to get to where we are now, you should be able to believe God has the power to do it either way.
cGobla On March 15, 2018

Polcenigo, Italy
#3New Post! Sep 07, 2008 @ 02:55:25
Then why do you think some people think that if you believe in evo you can't believe in god. Oh and see you are from henryetta you know anyone names hodey johns?

Henryetta, Oklahoma
#4New Post! Sep 07, 2008 @ 03:16:32
Most of the evangelicals think that way. They do take the Bible literally, the creation story and everything. Remember that Christians, as I'd say as a general rule, are very strong in their religious convictions. Some of them even go so far as to believe, at least within their denomination, it's their way or the highway. They want to believe that the Bible has only one correct interpretation. That would be convenient I suppose. But God made a wonderous variety of life and diversified even us humans into different colors and creeds. There's no doubt in my mind, by virtue of this, people are going to read the text differently. We're all unique, and words mean different things to different people. That's why there's so many denominations within Christianity. By what I read in the New Testament it's vital to have faith in our Saviour. But I don't see anywhere that I'm supposed to condemn people that don't. Yeah, it would be easier if we all saw in a Christian light. But people of other faiths have been believing in them as long as civilization has been around. They do what's right by them. I don't have any reason to believe God's condemning them to Hell. God loves us all, everyone. Only He knows what's really in our hearts and so has the authority to judge.
But I'm digressing terribly, aren't I? You just needed an answer to your question. When I get on a roll, I go with it. Really though I don't know if I can honestly answer that question. I don't think that way, so I can't speak for those people that do. All I can say is that only God knows, so it's not really our problem. We don't have to worry about the hard-nosed Bible-thumpers.
And to answer your other question, no. I know a Rhodee, but not a Hodey. But if you know some folks over here and come out, maybe we'll bump into each other sometime.
cGobla On March 15, 2018

Polcenigo, Italy
#5New Post! Sep 07, 2008 @ 03:23:38
you know anyone with last name of Johns? I find it interseting that if you look at history there has always been something in science that if you believed in you didnt believe in god. Like that the sun revolves around the earth. If you said that back in the 1600's you were a heretic.

Henryetta, Oklahoma
#6New Post! Sep 07, 2008 @ 03:32:43
Nope, can't say that I do. But I'm not a big fan of Henryetta anyway. Let's just say it's where I need to be right now. But yeah, Christianity is filled with shame in its history. I won't even get started on the Spanish inquisition.
duploshoes On March 03, 2009

Deleted

Leicester, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Sep 07, 2008 @ 15:47:49
A Christian once said to me, "If evolution is true then how come we've stopped evolving?"
I replied, "WE haven't. YOU have".
Charles On November 16, 2010

, Christmas Island
#8New Post! Sep 07, 2008 @ 15:50:40
I must remember that quote. Very good

Deleted

#9New Post! Sep 07, 2008 @ 15:54:58
When I said it, I didn't fully appreciate what I'd said. Now, I'm waiting for someone else to say the same thing to me. (That happened 15 years ago)
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#10New Post! Sep 07, 2008 @ 16:03:21
I know plenty of christians that believe in what they call (I think it is) "micro-evolution".

They say there are two types of evolution: Macro-evolution it the theory that essentially says the cause or process of creation was evolution. Micro-evolution is the evolution that has clearly happend on earth AFTER the creation.

They say macro-evolution is false because God created the earth.

Micro-evolution is real and started after the Great Flood. Micro-evoltuion explains the diversitiy of species that we have on earth.

Notice that I am not arguing for or against either, just persenting what some christian (Baptists as it turns out) have told me.
bogie On June 27, 2009

#11New Post! Sep 08, 2008 @ 14:10:42
@cgobla Said
For those that believe in god do you believe in evolution? If yes or no why?

nobody "believes" in evolution. it's theory not a religious concept one has faith to believe in. such is science. evenscientist, especially scientists, don't "believe" in evolution. like every other theory scientists are evolution's biggest critics. for every scientist putting forth new evidence there are dozens questioning the new discovery. comparing evolution or any other threory to gods and other supernatural phenomenon is rediculous. not unlike comparing the propulsion of santa's sleigh with that of a boeing 777.

Deleted

#12New Post! Sep 08, 2008 @ 14:20:47
@bogie Said
nobody "believes" in evolution. it's theory not a religious concept one has faith to believe in. such is science. evenscientist, especially scientists, don't "believe" in evolution. like every other theory scientists are evolution's biggest critics. for every scientist putting forth new evidence there are dozens questioning the new discovery. comparing evolution or any other threory to gods and other supernatural phenomenon is rediculous. not unlike comparing the propulsion of santa's sleigh with that of a boeing 777.

However, we are actually evolving all the time.
bogie On June 27, 2009

#13New Post! Sep 08, 2008 @ 20:59:21
@duploshoes Said
However, we are actually evolving all the time.

of course. but that's observation, not belief.

Deleted

#14New Post! Sep 08, 2008 @ 21:17:37
@bogie Said
of course. but that's observation, not belief.

So you cannot believe in what you observe?
booneylust On September 30, 2012

Suffolk, Virginia
#15New Post! Sep 08, 2008 @ 21:27:58
Personally, I don't believe in evolution. Although, it's absolutely fine for a Christian to adhere to some tenets of evolution while maintaining their allegiance to Jesus Christ. Afterall, the Bible is not a Science textbook.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 ...7 8 9 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs