The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Society & Lifestyles:
Manners & Etiquette

Giving soap (rather "fancy", for example from Crabtree & Evelyn)

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
gaviota On January 24, 2011

Mexico, Mexico
#1New Post! Jan 09, 2011 @ 19:08:13
I was wondering about this because this Christmas I was celebrating at a close friend's house, who got a set of soaps as a gift from a mutual friend; I thought this was a tacky gift, something that I should definitely never give a friend as close as she is, but I was wondering what do you think about it? Do you think it was OK?
plebian_angel On April 25, 2012
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#2New Post! Jan 09, 2011 @ 19:09:02
What was the brand of soaps? If it was lush than it was a perfect gift If it was walmart brand than big fail

Mexico, Mexico
#3New Post! Jan 09, 2011 @ 19:11:52
It was from "L'Occitane", but it was a set of like 3 tiny soaps, and I forgot to add that my friend's godson, who lives with her and is also friends with this same mutual friend, got from her a pair of silver cufflinks...
plebian_angel On April 25, 2012
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#4New Post! Jan 09, 2011 @ 19:12:47
@gaviota Said

It was from "L'Occitane", but it was a set of like 3 tiny soaps, and I forgot to add that my friend's godson, who lives with her and is also friends with this same mutual friend, got from her a pair of silver cufflinks...

Maybe her friend was broke this year
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#5New Post! Jan 09, 2011 @ 19:14:42
It is an acceptable gift. I do think we need to ask the person about allergies before we buy soaps and bath products. Many people have asthma and strong scents irritate them or they are allergic. I always ask if someone has food or body allergies before I buy gifts.

Mexico, Mexico
#6New Post! Jan 09, 2011 @ 19:15:04
Maybe, but then she wouldn't have given her godson that rather expensive gift, would she?

Mexico, Mexico
#7New Post! Jan 09, 2011 @ 19:19:49
Thank you for your replies. Then we maybe overreacted, but my friend didn't like her gift either, because she said that this mutual friend knows her better than to think she would like something like that as a gift, she have been friends for like 15 years and she expected her to know her better: for example, if the soap had been from Guerlain, which is the brand she loves, it would have definitely pleased her more.

, Canada
#8New Post! Jan 09, 2011 @ 19:21:48
@gaviota Said

Maybe, but then she wouldn't have given her godson that rather expensive gift, would she?

Many people spend more money on children than they do adults. Also, if this is her godson, she is going to get him something more expensive than someone who is just a friend.

Maybe this person does not have much money and that was all she could afford for friends but saved up to her her godson something really special.

There is nothing wrong with spending more on a child than on an adult, the relationship of the people need to be taken into consideration and we do not know her financial information.
floydgirrl On October 08, 2022
Stalkee

Pope's Wine Celler, Holy See (
#9New Post! Jan 09, 2011 @ 19:25:00
Did the recipient of the soap think it was tacky? If not, then if I were you I wouldn't worry about it.

Personally if someone gave me soap, I'd appreciate it. It's not like I go buy l'occitane for myself. It's nice soap. My sister likes it. So for me to buy her some from there would be really appropriate.

Mexico, Mexico
#10New Post! Jan 09, 2011 @ 19:27:54
@DorkySupergirl Said

Many people spend more money on children than they do adults. Also, if this is her godson, she is going to get him something more expensive than someone who is just a friend.

Maybe this person does not have much money and that was all she could afford for friends but saved up to her her godson something really special.

There is nothing wrong with spending more on a child than on an adult, the relationship of the people need to be taken into consideration and we do not know her financial information.

I'm sorry I didn't explain myself better. I don't want to disclose my friends names but lets say L (my friend, female) has her grandson, A (male, who by the way is no longer a child, he's 28 years old), and M (also female) is our mutual friend. M got A cufflinks and L soap, even though she has been friends with L for more time... I agree that it is okay to spend more money on children for gigts but I don't really think that applies here at all...
GSnap On March 02, 2019

Over the Rainbow,
#11New Post! Jan 09, 2011 @ 19:28:08
If it were a very nice soap (french milled Im a sucker for) then i would love it personally.

If it were three soaps from the Dollar Tree, yea, tacky.

There are some very expensive soaps out there...and they are luxurious to bathe with.

I just posted on another thread about a very nice bar of frenchmilled soap in a beautiful box with a giftcard holder in it. I would be thrilled to get that gift myself. And it isn't just the soap that is the gift, the giftcard in it is a part of the whole package. The soap box is just a fancy gift card box really and the soap an added surprise.

, Canada
#12New Post! Jan 09, 2011 @ 19:28:38
@gaviota Said

Thank you for your replies. Then we maybe overreacted, but my friend didn't like her gift either, because she said that this mutual friend knows her better than to think she would like something like that as a gift, she have been friends for like 15 years and she expected her to know her better: for example, if the soap had been from Guerlain, which is the brand she loves, it would have definitely pleased her more.

Let me share this...One of my brothers eats out at least 3 times a week at about 50$ a pop. He has money for fancy things he wants for himself but when it comes time to Christmas, he has no money. He will buy himself a new flat screen tv but not buy his own mom or his grown kids a present. Not only will he do this but he will b**** about the gifts we get him for Christmas. That is horrible behavior.

This year he actually went and bought us gifts. They were not much money at all, mine was probably 10$ and it was bath products I would not really use. But you know what, I was happier than a pig in mud that he bought me a gift and I thanked him very much and acted like I loved it. It really was so nice that he realized how bad he was behaving and bought us all a gift.

It really is the thought of that counts. I might not use these bath products but I am not going to moan or b**** about it because I was thought it, and a gift is a gift is a gift.
GSnap On March 02, 2019

Over the Rainbow,
#13New Post! Jan 09, 2011 @ 19:28:55
@gaviota Said

I'm sorry I didn't explain myself better. I don't want to disclose my friends names but lets say L (my friend, female) has her grandson, A (male, who by the way is no longer a child, he's 28 years old), and M (also female) is our mutual friend. M got A cufflinks and L soap, even though she has been friends with L for more time... I agree that it is okay to spend more money on children for gigts but I don't really think that applies here at all...

What makes you think those cufflinks were more expensive? They can be picked up at a bargain basement for pretty cheap.

I wouldn't worry about it. This sounds like one of those petty things to get one's ire up that don't really matter. If the recipient isn't happy with it that is her business to deal with really....JMO.

Mexico, Mexico
#14New Post! Jan 09, 2011 @ 19:31:25
@floydgirrl Said

Did the recipient of the soap think it was tacky? If not, then if I were you I wouldn't worry about it.

Personally if someone gave me soap, I'd appreciate it. It's not like I go buy l'occitane for myself. It's nice soap. My sister likes it. So for me to buy her some from there would be really appropriate.

Thank you for your reply. Definitely my friend didn't like the gift at all (that's why I started this post), even when she agreed that it was from a good brand, because it's not something she particularly likes. It would have been different for example if the soap had been from Guerlain, which is her signature brand.
She thought of it to be a gift from someone who was not as close a friend with her.

, Canada
#15New Post! Jan 09, 2011 @ 19:31:42
@gaviota Said

So the godson is 28? He is still a godson over a friend though. I know I would spend more on my godson than I would a friend. That is just me though.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs