News & Current Events

Giant Organisms

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#1New Post! Oct 19, 2018 @ 21:00:14
This is about trees.
.. Sorry to disappoint some of you, but read the title again.

Behold the Pando aspen clone, a sprawling carpet of vibrant green-yellow quaking aspens occupying more than 100 acres outside the Fishlake National Forest in Utah.

The "Trembling Giant," as it is known, is actually a massive single organism connected by one sprawling root system. This ancient marvel of nature is thousands of years old -- scientists don't know exactly how old -- and is considered the largest living organism on Earth.

Aspen Clone

.. But I thought there was a moss that went from Michigan to Wisconsin or something like that, that was the "The Biggest" - maybe in another category.

I'll have to look it up.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#2New Post! Oct 19, 2018 @ 21:07:22
@mrmhead Said

This is about trees.

Behold the Pando aspen clone, a sprawling carpet of vibrant green-yellow quaking aspens occupying more than 100 acres outside the Fishlake National Forest in Utah.

The "Trembling Giant," as it is known, is actually a massive single organism connected by one sprawling root system. This ancient marvel of nature is thousands of years old -- scientists don't know exactly how old -- and is considered the largest living organism on Earth.

Aspen Clone

.. But I thought there was a moss that went from Michigan to Wisconsin or something like that, that was the "The Biggest" - maybe in another category.

I'll have to look it up.

THE LARGEST ORGANISM IN THE WORLD IS TRUMP!

Oh... wait... he's the GREATEST organism in the world... my bad...
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#3New Post! Oct 19, 2018 @ 21:09:30
@mrmhead Said

I think there is a fungi the is the largest in terms of area, but the tree one has more mass.

NE, Ohio
#4New Post! Oct 19, 2018 @ 21:11:13
(OP stuff)

Fake News!! Fake News!!
CNN prints nothing but LIES

Next time you purchase white button mushrooms at the grocery store, just remember, they may be cute and bite-size but they have a relative out west that occupies some 2,384 acres (965 hectares) of soil in Oregon's Blue Mountains. Put another way, this humongous fungus would encompass 1,665 football fields, or nearly four square miles (10 square kilometers) of turf.

... apparently "Largest" in a different category:
the debate of what constitutes an individual organism. "It's one set of genetically identical cells that are in communication with one another that have a sort of common purpose or at least can coordinate themselves to do something," Volk explains.

Both the giant blue whale and the humongous fungus fit comfortably within this definition. So does the 6,615-ton (six-million-kilogram) colony of a male quaking aspen tree and his clones that covers 107 acres (43 hectares) of a Utah mountainside.

Humongous Fungus Among us
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#5New Post! Oct 19, 2018 @ 21:13:54
@mrmhead Said

(OP stuff)

Fake News!! Fake News!!
CNN prints nothing but LIES

Next time you purchase white button mushrooms at the grocery store, just remember, they may be cute and bite-size but they have a relative out west that occupies some 2,384 acres (965 hectares) of soil in Oregon's Blue Mountains. Put another way, this humongous fungus would encompass 1,665 football fields, or nearly four square miles (10 square kilometers) of turf.

... apparently "Largest" in a different category:
the debate of what constitutes an individual organism. "It's one set of genetically identical cells that are in communication with one another that have a sort of common purpose or at least can coordinate themselves to do something," Volk explains.

Both the giant blue whale and the humongous fungus fit comfortably within this definition. So does the 6,615-ton (six-million-kilogram) colony of a male quaking aspen tree and his clones that covers 107 acres (43 hectares) of a Utah mountainside.

Humongous Fungus Among us

So, your saying Trump's big fat head is still in the running...it all about the "category"...?
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#6New Post! Oct 20, 2018 @ 00:41:14
@mrmhead Said

This is about trees.

Aspen Clone

I'll have to look it up.

Does moss have organs? Actually do trees have organs? Is a cell an organ?

#7New Post! Oct 20, 2018 @ 00:42:20
@chaski Said

I think there is a fungi the is the largest in terms of area, but the tree one has more mass.

How about the Great Barrier Reef?

#8New Post! Oct 20, 2018 @ 00:50:26
@chaski Said

So, your saying Trump's big fat head is still in the running...it all about the "category"...?

Well, according to Stormy Daniels, his wiener looks like a mushroom but is not very big though.

Could have a sketch artist draw what Stormy saw and compare it to drawing of other eye witnesses. I pretty sure that nice President Trump would not submit to a photograph.

Didn't they have that nice President Clinton submit a sample to compare with the Blue dress? If Monica had swallowed (like a good girl should) there would have been no evidence. alas.

NE, Ohio
#9New Post! Oct 20, 2018 @ 01:36:12
@Erimitus Said

Does moss have organs? Actually do trees have organs? Is a cell an organ?

What's better than a rose on a piano?

Tulips on an organ!
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#10New Post! Oct 20, 2018 @ 02:09:20
@mrmhead Said

Tulips on an organ!

what's better than a rose on a piano?

a daisy that is straight!

#11New Post! Oct 20, 2018 @ 09:27:55
@mrmhead Said

Tulips on an organ!

Groan!!
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#12New Post! Oct 29, 2018 @ 03:41:42
@chaski Said

THE LARGEST ORGANISM IN THE WORLD IS TRUMP!

Oh... wait... he's the GREATEST organism in the world... my bad...

Naw, the best part of him ran down his daddy's leg.
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#13New Post! Oct 29, 2018 @ 04:00:23
what white and crawls up men's legs?

uncle ben's pervert rice
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs