Pets & Animals

Getting a dog from the shelter!!

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
lionessmocha On December 09, 2009

Miami, Florida
#1New Post! Dec 08, 2009 @ 05:29:18
Hi everyone...
I am new to the forum and wanted to share this excitement. I am getting a dog tomorrow from the shelter. I went and picked her out. She was abandoned Saturday by her owner . Her face seemed sooo sad and I couldn't resist. Only problem, she is fearful and aggressive. She is a Silky Terrier, 4 years old and not spayed. They are spaying her in the morning, then I pick her up in the evening. I just wanted to give her a chance. I know I can love her and hopeful crush that aggressive behavior. I dont know the condition she was in before. But just only one day in the shelter and her appearance seemed neglected. I know I can do wayyyy better with her. Any advice? I am nervous, but at the same time optimistic. I am ready to just love her and make her the happiest pooch ever!
angeliclala On July 31, 2013

, Utah
#2New Post! Dec 08, 2009 @ 05:36:12
i got a dog from a shelter about 2 months ago. at first he had no life in him but after a week he was playful and sweet. i think that after you have him for a while he wont act like youve see him at the shelter. i think he will get better. just takes time
sue2 On August 15, 2011

Deleted

cornwall, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Dec 08, 2009 @ 08:17:13
I got both my dogs from a shelter ( sadly they have passed on ) They both took a while to settle down but were loving and very faithful after a while. I still miss them now
PaNda On January 28, 2010
is Mysteria!

Deleted

, Texas
#4New Post! Dec 08, 2009 @ 08:24:53
My son got a timid little terrier at a shelter. The dog got attached to him immediately. He said he just knew no one would take the dog as he was a mixed breed in bad shape. Unfortunately, he had to give the dog away due to being too busy in art school. In my experience, dogs' personalities change with a loving, patient owner. Good luck. I'm so glad you're getting a companion who'll love you unconditionally. I admire people for adopting dogs. Welcome to the forum.
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#5New Post! Dec 08, 2009 @ 08:31:49
Just be patient and show the poor little girl she is now the proud owner of a loving human. she will come around in a week or so.

I am only partly joking, My fred isn't my dog so much as I'm his human.
lionessmocha On December 09, 2009

Miami, Florida
#6New Post! Dec 09, 2009 @ 04:02:21
I picked up Coco today. She is not aggressive at all!! I have two cats and both of them were sniffing Coco. There was one point of hissing, but that cat just stayed back from a distance and watched Coco. As soon as I got her, I took her to the park. She seemed excited to get out. Afterall, she pooped and peed in my car . That's ok, shampoo can fix that. She got spayed today and had antibiotics, so she also vomited in my car. She is just not in the mood because she is just sleeping, only picking at the food and drinking water. I am going to take her for a walk tomorrow morning before I head off to school. I can't groom her as yet because she has stitches. I want to groom her sooooo badly...her hair has mats and i can't see her eyes behind the hair in her face. I used waterless shampoo and then brushed some mats out and she seemed to like that. She just looks sad, it almost breaks my heart.
HiImDan On February 29, 2024

Cleveland, the boil on the but
#7New Post! Dec 11, 2009 @ 05:59:28
It may take a while for her to warm up to you. My Daisy doggies saved from 2 years of abuse and the first thing she did when she saw me was make a puddle. She'll get over it, though. Good luck and congrats
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs