Getting Ready For The Jubilee

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Jun 01, 2012 @ 10:59:11
Looking forward to the Jubilee. I'll be working tomorrow morning, but after that, Amanda and I are off to our local community centre where we're helping to set up for an old folks Jubilee party over the Bank Holiday.

I enjoy doing community work, especially for the elderly. It's going to be hard work, but we want to give them a really good time so it's worth it.

I saw children going to school this morning, all decked out in red, white and blue, and carrying flags and their food contributions for their school jubilee parties. The schools break up for half-term this afternoon, so they have to have their parties today. I'm sure they'll enjoy that more than lessons on the last day before half-term. LOL.

I remember the Golden Jubilee in 2002. The newspapers and republicans said it would be a flop, but things turned out differently... it was an amazing celebration.

I was finishing sixth form at the time and it took my mind off my A Level results (no bad thing). We had a fantastic party at school, even though my class of Upper Thirds played all sorts of silly pranks on me (I was their prefect). But it was such fun..!!

Once again, the Republicans and papers are predicting a massive flop, but let's see how it turns out, eh..?

This is only the second Diamond Jubilee in the history of the British monarchy (the other was for Queen Victoria) and I feel a part of something historic.

I hope those of you in other parts of Britain and the Commonwealth are looking forward to your celebrations, too. Wishing you all as great a time as we're going to have here in the West Country..!!

galastaray On June 08, 2016
honey bucket

Deleted

Honey Bucket, Reunion
#2New Post! Jun 01, 2012 @ 11:14:51
What is a Jubilee? It sounds like an African baby's name.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Jun 01, 2012 @ 11:21:48
@galasTAray Said

What is a Jubilee? It sounds like an African baby's name.

Perhaps this link to the last one, in 2002, might be informative....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Jubilee_of_Elizabeth_II

MAW On October 31, 2012

Deleted

Stockport, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Jun 01, 2012 @ 11:24:48
Shame the Sex Pistols aren't playing, I'll be having New mind the bollocks on at full volume "god save your mad parade" indeed!
MAW On October 31, 2012

Deleted

#5New Post! Jun 01, 2012 @ 11:27:51
Here is Tom Paine on the monarchy in the UK

"In England a King hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which, in plain terms, is to empoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society, and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."

- From Common Sense.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Jun 01, 2012 @ 14:30:50
@MAW Said

Here is Tom Paine on the monarchy in the UK

"In England a King hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which, in plain terms, is to empoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society, and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."

- From Common Sense.

Laughing. I guess good old Tom Paine won't be coming to the party then. Ho-hum.... it's his loss.

I suppose all the republicans will be shutting themselves away on the day, grumbling and bemoaning it all and completely missing out on the festivities..... wallowing in their bitterness and envy of the rest of the country's celebrations.

I think the phrase is "Cutting off your nose to spite your face".

Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Jun 01, 2012 @ 14:33:29
@MAW Said

Shame the Sex Pistols aren't playing, I'll be having New mind the bollocks on at full volume "god save your mad parade" indeed!

Interesting comment.

Oh yes...the Sex Pistols. Look how long they lasted.

Malcolm McLaren and Sid Vicious are now dead, and Johnny Rotten has sold out to the establishment and makes a tidy earning advertising Country Life butter. How anarchic is that...!!

In 1977, they forecasted the end of the Monarchy. In 2012, the Queen is still on the throne.

MAW On October 31, 2012

Deleted

#8New Post! Jun 01, 2012 @ 14:57:48
@Jennifer1984 Said

Laughing. I guess good old Tom Paine won't be coming to the party then. Ho-hum.... it's his loss.

I suppose all the republicans will be shutting themselves away on the day, grumbling and bemoaning it all and completely missing out on the festivities..... wallowing in their bitterness and envy of the rest of the country's celebrations.

I think the phrase is "Cutting off your nose to spite your face".

Yep, and thanks to him 270 millions Americans won't have to bow down before the monarchy. Hellva guy huh? Paine may have cut his nose off to spite his own face but billions around the globe are thankful for that.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Jun 01, 2012 @ 14:58:29
I'd love to sit here and say I'm not doing anything as I don't really care for the current monarchy, but I'd be lying. I still don't care for them but I will be 'celebrating' by going to a house party. There will be Pimms, sandwiches and cake, so I'm happy enough.

Sod the Queen, I want an excuse to see my friends, get rained on and get pissed (which is what being a Brit is really all about anyway if you ask me).
Reviso On November 23, 2014

Banned

Trenton, Canada
#10New Post! Jun 01, 2012 @ 15:00:00
@MAW Said

Yep, and thanks to him 270 millions Americans won't have to bow down before the monarchy. Hellva guy huh? Paine may have cut his nose off to spite his own face but billions around the globe are thankful for that.

I always make friends with the palace guards, though.
MAW On October 31, 2012

Deleted

#11New Post! Jun 01, 2012 @ 15:00:48
@sister_of_mercy Said

I'd love to sit here and say I'm not doing anything as I don't really care for the current monarchy, but I'd be lying. I still don't care for them but I will be 'celebrating' by going to a house party. There will be Pimms, sandwiches and cake, so I'm happy enough.

Sod the Queen, I want an excuse to see my friends, get rained on and get pissed (which is what being a Brit is really all about anyway if you ask me).

That is what us republicans will be doing too.
MAW On October 31, 2012

Deleted

#12New Post! Jun 01, 2012 @ 15:03:11
@Reviso Said

It's a dirty job but someone has to do it.
MAW On October 31, 2012

Deleted

#13New Post! Jun 01, 2012 @ 15:03:47
@Jennifer1984 Said

Interesting comment.

Oh yes...the Sex Pistols. Look how long they lasted.

Malcolm McLaren and Sid Vicious are now dead, and Johnny Rotten has sold out to the establishment and makes a tidy earning advertising Country Life butter. How anarchic is that...!!

In 1977, they forecasted the end of the Monarchy. In 2012, the Queen is still on the throne.

Well I'd rather have what they produced in '77 than the silver jubilee anyday.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Jun 01, 2012 @ 15:19:01
@Reviso Said

I've spent many an afternoon trying to make them laugh but they're just too good at their jobs. Bastards!
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Jun 01, 2012 @ 15:36:32
I am going to the seaside. Getting away from London. There will be all sorts of things going on down there. Mum is having a BBQ.

I am not celebrating the jubilee particularly but if I stumble into a street party I would not sit and sneer or moan about it. I would put on my happy pants and make the most of it.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs