Politics

Georgia

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
kayxx On August 13, 2008

Deleted

nottingham, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Aug 10, 2008 @ 23:43:19
I am struggling a bit to understand what's happening in Georgia. I can't seem to find any background info as to how all this started. I read that Russia is accusing Georgia of genocide..but genocide against who? and for what gain?
alexkidd On February 07, 2012
Captain Awesome!

Deleted

in a bog, Ireland
#2New Post! Aug 10, 2008 @ 23:45:25
i'm trying to read up on this myself right now,
if you find any sites about it throw them my way

awful stuff, this could have big implications.
kayxx On August 13, 2008

Deleted

#3New Post! Aug 10, 2008 @ 23:46:51
@alexkidd Said

Yeah I know..Thats why I want to get up to speed.
kayxx On August 13, 2008

Deleted

#4New Post! Aug 11, 2008 @ 00:03:23
@alexkidd Said

Right I understand it a bit more now.. here's a good link, go onto page two of the article as well.

URL text https://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-ossetia10-2008aug10,0,7797778.story
simplydreadful On October 08, 2008

#5New Post! Aug 11, 2008 @ 00:04:29
My interpretation, for what it's worth . . . Some Russians have always wanted to rebuild the USSR. They don't like the independence they see around them. They don't like some of their former territories becoming part of NATO.
The timing of this particular skirmish does seem particularly convenient for those who want to spotlight Russia's military might.
waally On June 03, 2013

Palmerston North, New Zealand
#6New Post! Aug 11, 2008 @ 00:04:42
stalin came from georgia
just a, useless fact.
kayxx On August 13, 2008

Deleted

#7New Post! Aug 11, 2008 @ 00:05:50
@simplydreadful Said
My interpretation, for what it's worth . . . Some Russians have always wanted to rebuild the USSR. They don't like the independence they see around them. They don't like some of their former territories becoming part of NATO.
The timing of this particular skirmish does seem particularly convenient for those who want to spotlight Russia's military might.

I think you are right..Russia is flexing it's muscles.. It's a warning of sorts
WildChild On February 16, 2013
Perv Magnet

Southern Middle, Tennessee
#8New Post! Aug 11, 2008 @ 00:08:27
Jon will be here in the morning and he will get you all filled in on what is going on.
knighthawk666 On August 22, 2014

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
#9New Post! Aug 11, 2008 @ 00:11:36
I saw all that on tv today.
kayxx On August 13, 2008

Deleted

#10New Post! Aug 11, 2008 @ 00:21:22
Taken from Sky News

What is the background to the conflict?

This is a hangover from the collapse of the Soviet Union when Georgia established itself as an independent state.

South Ossetia sat within the new Georgian territory and there was a bitter war between the two as South Ossetia battled for its own independence.

In the early 1990s the fighting stopped and South Ossetia set up its own government - though it has never been recognised by the international community.

When the current president of Georgia, Mikhail Saakashvili, took control he said he was not prepared to give it up and there has been sporadic fighting since then.

Why now, and why has Russia become involved?

Georgia has accused Russia of arming and financing South Ossetia.

The US-friendly state is trying to become a member of NATO and say the Russians are deliberately trying to disrupt their attempts.

Russia says that if Georgia were successful and became part of NATO, it would be like their own army setting up base in Canada or Mexico.

In the past Russia has said it will not tolerate fighting around its borders or attacks on its citizens. South Ossetia is close to the Russian border and many of its population have Russian passports.

Russia this year also commented on the fact Kosovo declared itself independent.

It said the move set a dangerous international precedent. The argument extends that if Kosovo can do this - and be recognised by the West - why shouldn't other separatist movements?

Why is it significant?

Georgia is an ally of the United States and is of key strategic importance as a gateway to the Middle East for the West.

Relations between the West and Russia have deteriorated significantly and some say we are in the midst of another cold war.

With this in mind, if the Russians were to become fully involved with the conflict, we could see the formation of a material frontier in South Ossetia in the clash between East and West.

Has this got the potential to affect things in the West?

The Baku-Supsa Pipeline runs between Azerbaijan and Turkey through Georgia and is a key provider of energy for the EU and the United States.

Unofficial separatist sources have claimed that if the conflict was protracted they would be prepared to sabotage the pipeline and that would have huge ramifications.

Is this the first real test for President Medvedev?

The lines of power are still blurred between the prime minister (and former president) Vladimir Putin and his successor, Dmitry Medvedev.

That said, Mr Putin is in Beijing and is not set to return to Russia until after the opening ceremony.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs