AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
raditz8526 On July 02, 2009

Deleted

, Minnesota
#1New Post! Mar 17, 2009 @ 14:21:14
Georgia law puts non-offenders on sex registry

By BILL RANKIN

The registry is designed to keep a leash on child molesters, rapists and other sex criminals, who often remain dangerous even after they?ve served their time.

But the law applies to anyone convicted of kidnapping or false imprisonment of a minor, regardless if a sexual act was committed.

At 17, Darnelle Harvey took part in the robbery of a Dairy Queen in Chamblee. Brandishing a gun, he ordered a 16-year-old to lie down as the holdup progressed. This got him a false imprisonment conviction, and because the victim was under 18, Harvey became a sex offender.

https://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/stories/2009/03/15/sex_offender_law_georgia.html
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#2New Post! Mar 17, 2009 @ 14:23:26
well tough.
He shouldn't have been robbing a dairy queen.
plebian_angel On April 25, 2012
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#3New Post! Mar 17, 2009 @ 14:29:57
I don't agree with that law at all. Like the article said, it's harder for sex offeneder to find work and places to live, but these people were not charged for that.
Makes it harder for them to start over on a legit life.
trillian On May 06, 2010

derbyshire, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Mar 17, 2009 @ 14:32:30
if he didnt commmit a sexual crime then he shouldnt be on the register. makes a mockery of what its there for.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#5New Post! Mar 17, 2009 @ 14:37:48
Absolutely pathetic. I cannot believe this passed.
iliterate_enginere On February 12, 2010

Deleted

Wichita, Kansas
#6New Post! Mar 17, 2009 @ 14:41:30
So, people think this law is bad just b/c the law which determines who is a sex offender is screwed up? I think we're getting two separate issues mixed up.
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#7New Post! Mar 17, 2009 @ 14:44:33
@iliterate_enginere Said

So, people think this law is bad just b/c the law which determines who is a sex offender is screwed up? I think we're getting two separate issues mixed up.

How are we getting two seperate issues mixed up?
The issue is that the law is screwed up that determines who is a sex offender.

Deleted

Wichita, Kansas
#8New Post! Mar 17, 2009 @ 14:52:24
@plebian_angel Said

How are we getting two seperate issues mixed up?
The issue is that the law is screwed up that determines who is a sex offender.

Yes. That part is screwed up. The other issue is about whether or not people agree with sex offenders being tracked and limited where they can live and work.
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#9New Post! Mar 17, 2009 @ 14:53:55
@iliterate_enginere Said

Yes. That part is screwed up. The other issue is about whether or not people agree with sex offenders being tracked and limited where they can live and work.

I was making a neutral comment on that part. Making my point that sex offenders have that. And if you're really not a sex offender, should you be put in that category?
MonkeyMadness On April 08, 2015
Lord of your mum

Big Tree, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Mar 17, 2009 @ 14:58:25
@iliterate_enginere Said

The other issue is about whether or not people agree with sex offenders being tracked and limited where they can live and work.

No it isnt, and saying that is just a pathetic cheap shot to defend a law that makes sex offenders out of people who havent commited a sex offence.
DestenyGrace On January 03, 2012

Pendleton, Oregon
#11New Post! Mar 17, 2009 @ 15:17:37
Well, if people are smart they wont commit crimes like that. The longer the law is around, the more people will know about it. Next time someone robs a Dairy Queen in Georgia, they will probably think twice about who they have lay on the ground.
I'm not saying the law is right or wrong, but people shouldn't commit the crimes anyway. I can't say I feel bad for the Dairy Queen guy.

Deleted

Wichita, Kansas
#12New Post! Mar 17, 2009 @ 15:23:02
@MonkeyMadness Said

No it isnt, and saying that is just a pathetic cheap shot to defend a law that makes sex offenders out of people who havent commited a sex offence.

Sorry, but you're wrong. If you bothered to read my previous posts you would know that I think the law should be amended. Saying "I don't agree with that law." isn't exactly specific to why because of all it covers.
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#13New Post! Mar 17, 2009 @ 15:58:44
that's a stupid law.
Wingsy On November 26, 2023
wingsdillialicious!

Wingsville,
#14New Post! Mar 17, 2009 @ 16:03:50
@From article Said
Harp?s legislation amends a number of provisions, including requiring those convicted of kidnapping or falsely imprisoning a minor to be on the registry only when their crimes involve a sex offense.

That makes a lot more sense than arbitrarily putting anyone who is convicted of kidnapping or falsely imprisoning a minor...

I realize sex offender laws are there for a reason, but if this is allowed to stay on the books, what's to stop them from suddenly deciding that anyone who's ever been convicted of any crime involving children has to register as a sex offender?

*I'm not by any means saying that crimes against children/minors aren't serious, because they are.
MonkeyMadness On April 08, 2015
Lord of your mum

Big Tree, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Mar 17, 2009 @ 16:05:39
@iliterate_enginere Said

Sorry, but you're wrong. If you bothered to read my previous posts you would know that I think the law should be amended. Saying "I don't agree with that law." isn't exactly specific to why because of all it covers.

Yeah right. 'The other issue is wether or not people think sex offenders should be *insert what ever it was you said here*' is a pointless arguement. I didnt see anyone make an isssue of sex offenders being subject to that law.

Except you of course.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs