Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 · >>
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Jan 18, 2011 @ 11:55:56
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-12214368

Gay couple Martyn Hall and Steven Preddy won their discrimination case against the owners of a Bed and Breakfast hotel in Cornwall, England after being refused a room together on the grounds of their sexuality (See link attached). Such discrimination is now an offence in British law.

Some religious groups are claiming this was a set up by Gay Rights group Stonewall in order to persecute religious freedom. Stonewall deny the accusation.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Jan 18, 2011 @ 11:58:50
Quite right too. Didn't the B&B owner's defence pretty much come down to the fact they are Christian? To be perfectly frank I believe if defending homophobic action because you are Christian is like defending racist action because you are a member of the Nazi party.
crazychica On March 13, 2011
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Jan 18, 2011 @ 12:06:54
I'm happy for them. I'm glad this couple didn't get away with their discrimination. I mean, why run a B&B if you're only going to let straight married couples stay together? It's nuts.
Demented On January 31, 2024

, Australia
#4New Post! Jan 18, 2011 @ 13:40:52
Although most know my views,I can't help but wonder just how many things like this happen purely for the publicity and for what they can get out of it.
Furry On June 25, 2015

, New Jersey
#5New Post! Jan 18, 2011 @ 14:01:37
Although I am very happy For their success and I hope I have the same anound of success when I get married (eventually) My question is why would they Get so PO'ed on the fact that these gentlemen were gay. It's truly absurd.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Jan 18, 2011 @ 14:07:30
Great to see they won, though any other outcome would have been severely questionable. I hope that it makes these B&B owners think a bit more carefully in future when it comes to things like this. I do wonder if there have been more incidents of this nature or similar (like discriminating based on religion, race, etc) in the recent past.
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Jan 18, 2011 @ 14:10:56
@sister_of_mercy Said

Great to see they won, though any other outcome would have been severely questionable. I hope that it makes these B&B owners think a bit more carefully in future when it comes to things like this. I do wonder if there have been more incidents of this nature or similar (like discriminating based on religion, race, etc) in the recent past.

More than likely. This case would then act as a precedent for others to come through on
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#8New Post! Jan 18, 2011 @ 14:39:24
I have kind of mixed feelings about this. Here in the US, just about every establishment has a "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone" sign which basically allows them to discriminate on whatever grounds they see fit.

While I do see it as a violation of the couple's rights, I also see it as a violation of the B&B owner's rights as a private organization. Maybe that's a right you don't have...something like "Freedom of Association".

Maybe if/when Boxer sees this, he can tell me if I'm wrong.
chisa96 On December 29, 2014
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#9New Post! Jan 18, 2011 @ 14:54:21
@someone_else Said

I have kind of mixed feelings about this. Here in the US, just about every establishment has a "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone" sign which basically allows them to discriminate on whatever grounds they see fit.

While I do see it as a violation of the couple's rights, I also see it as a violation of the B&B owner's rights as a private organization. Maybe that's a right you don't have...something like "Freedom of Association".

That's what came to my mind as well. Don't get me wrong, the B&B couple were scummy, but it is their establishment to do with as they see fit.

I did think that included to serve who they chose.

But then, I don't really know how that law goes either.
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Jan 18, 2011 @ 14:58:29
@someone_else Said

@chisa96 Said

That's what came to my mind as well. Don't get me wrong, the B&B couple were scummy, but it is their establishment to do with as they see fit.

We do have a freedom of association but our discrimination laws do not allow for discrimination on the grounds of sexuality which is clearly what this was.
chisa96 On December 29, 2014
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#11New Post! Jan 18, 2011 @ 15:01:43
@crazychica Said

We do have a freedom of association but our discrimination laws do not allow for discrimination on the grounds of sexuality which is clearly what this was.

How do you determine that? I mean, if those laws are in place, surely the owners would have known about them and refrained from blatantly stating, "You're gay. You cannot stay here."

So how do you determine why service was refused?
galastaray On June 08, 2016
honey bucket

Deleted

Honey Bucket, Reunion
#12New Post! Jan 18, 2011 @ 15:02:18
Yay.
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Jan 18, 2011 @ 15:04:17
@chisa96 Said

How do you determine that? I mean, if those laws are in place, surely the owners would have known about them and refrained from blatantly stating, "You're gay. You cannot stay here."

So how do you determine why service was refused?

Yes, they did know about them and a week before this incident they were warned that the message on their website about non-married couples sharing rooms at their B&B was illegal. They persisted with the practice and found someone willing to sue for discrimination.
Wellard On April 29, 2012
ect.. .

Deleted

In your Mind, Cape Verde
#14New Post! Jan 18, 2011 @ 15:44:17
To be fair B&B owners are renowned for being s***heads to lots of people regardless of their sexual orientation.
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#15New Post! Jan 18, 2011 @ 15:51:09
@chisa96 Said

Businesses here can refuse the to serve anyone they choose, unless they are a protected class.

So, you can't be refused because you're black, or female, or christian..

You can however be refused in many states because you're gay. Gays are not a protected class in the US, so it's perfectly legal to discriminate against them.. Not everywhere, and each year more states add sexual orientation to the list of protected classes, but the feds still don't.

On the flip side, you can be refused service because you're straight too.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs