The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Relationships:
Friendships

Friend is completely insane, what do I do?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Rasputin On March 13, 2020

London, Canada
#1New Post! Feb 18, 2010 @ 13:56:57
So my wife and I were sitting in a bar one night last year. In walks this dude wearing a kilt and carrying a keyboard. Being a keyboard player myself, i invited him to sit with us,a Scottish guy who plays keys, cool I thought. He was in his 50's so I assumed he could actually play. We started to chat about music we liked and we thought he seemed like a nice guy,which he is. A little eccentric perhaps but hey that's cool. Then we went to hear him play at an open mic. night. Words cannot begin to describe how truly terrible he was. People were howling with laughter thinking it was a joke,unfortunately it was not. I truly felt sorry for him and offered to begin teaching him how to play. He really believes he is a musician even though he hasn't the slightest clue. It soon became apparent that he will never be able to play anything that even slightly resembles music. He has no family,no friends and lives on welfare in a s***hole rooming house. He obviously suffers from severe mental illness. We both want to at least offer him friendship since he is completely alone in the world. He does have some talent as a painter,and writes some very entertaining short stories. I don't know how to tell him that he sucks worse than anyone I've ever heard because he has nothing in the world and I'm afraid it might push him over the edge. I'm ready to scream when he comes over and attacks my innocent piano and I'm afraid that I'm going to lose it and tell him that he is delusional and must stop. The problem is, he is really a very nice fellow even if he is crazy. Any ideas out there how I can approach this?
incognito On February 26, 2010
Giddy In The Pants

Deleted

, Canada
#2New Post! Feb 18, 2010 @ 14:03:27
Tell him that his style of music is too much for your piano, and he should stick to his keyboard.
I wouldn't tell him he sucks though. Just keep with the lessons maybe? Or don't play with him anymore at all, just be his friend. That sucks though.
liquer On March 06, 2010

Deleted

#3New Post! Feb 18, 2010 @ 15:08:38
Where would we be without a bit of eccentricity in our lives? What can you tell him thath the police already haven't?
Jno On April 12, 2010

Oxford,
#4New Post! Feb 18, 2010 @ 15:23:09
"Oh, please! That old piano is so out of tune it makes your music sound terrible!"

Hilaritas!
jno
richph On March 07, 2010

Oxford, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Feb 18, 2010 @ 16:59:44
He's a very strange case, your friend, and I think I suffer from the same problem But my problem is that in my head I think I have a great voice, I don't , my mum told me from an early age that I have the worst singing voice she has ever heard, off key and notes that aren't recognised as musical. However I do know a good voice when I hear one. Perhaps you should let him play, and then play the same piece correctly, in time, and one wrecked piano later, maybe he'll realise.

BTW when I've had a few whiskies my voice suddenly becomes fantastic again....................
bobthebuilder On March 03, 2010

breezy point, Minnesota
#6New Post! Mar 01, 2010 @ 09:57:49
point out each and every little mistake he is making. tell him to be good you cant have any mistakes. if its too much for him, which it probably will be, then he will soon realize that its not for him. then you can maybe comfortably tell him to take up a different hobby like painting or writing short stories.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs