Freedom Isn't Free

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
negasable On August 05, 2008

Deleted

West Side, California
#1New Post! May 01, 2007 @ 14:11:29
Continuing from the previous forum. "The Crucifixion" I'm starting this forum thanks to caudix's suggestion.

"Freedom isn't free." Anyone ever hear that before. My thoughts of freedom is there are three corner stones to absoloute freedom.

1). Freedom of expression.

2). Free will.

3). Freedom of mind.

Now I'm know what your thinking, freedom of mind and will are the same. You couldn't be more closer. Who thinks that freedom isn't free and its up to the person to sacrifice things to get it. From the previous topic, atheist find freedom of mind by denying the powers and forces of god.

What are your thoughts on freedom of mind.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#2New Post! May 01, 2007 @ 14:14:08
Freedom isn't free because of human nature. People naturally seek power and domination and, since some people are much better at this than others, freedoms get stepped on in the process.

Maintaining freedom in the face of pride and greed requires a price to be paid, whether it's bloodshed or the giving up of other freedoms.

Deleted

West Side, California
#3New Post! May 01, 2007 @ 14:16:48
True and not true. Your right freedom is one of the hardest prize to have. Absoloute freedom isn't worth it sometimes and the world will never have that, but some people can. Bloodshed will happen, it was bound to happen.
markfox01 On October 23, 2021
innit!

Welshman in Brum.., United Kin
#4New Post! May 01, 2007 @ 14:37:19
We will never be free as long as money is the main factor of life.

Deleted

West Side, California
#5New Post! May 01, 2007 @ 14:39:35
Sorry I forgot to add the fourth corner stone, freedom from material things. Now thats hard to do. Now just cause your rich doesn't mean your bound by them, it just means you have a lot of money. But that really doens't say anything about greed.

Deleted

West Side, California
#7New Post! May 01, 2007 @ 14:44:32
So do I, but I sometimes find freedom a prize that sometimes isn't worth it.

Deleted

West Side, California
#9New Post! May 01, 2007 @ 14:45:13
markfox01 On October 23, 2021
innit!

Welshman in Brum.., United Kin
#10New Post! May 01, 2007 @ 14:51:00
@treacle Said
I dont recall sleeping with you

Not yet..

Deleted

West Side, California
#11New Post! May 01, 2007 @ 22:22:50
diamantez On May 09, 2007

New York, New York
#12New Post! May 09, 2007 @ 04:41:50
At one point or another, we all become slaves of our own freedom.
freeasathought On October 22, 2007

Southampton, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Sep 26, 2007 @ 18:03:53
Freedom of expression - in speech we are being gagged tighter and tighter, but even taking this freedom to its unbounded limit, can we still have freedom of expression in speech as long as we are constrained by the limitations of language. In artistic expression, again there is constraint in the materials that we use e.g. you can't sing an aria in paint!

Freedom of will - you would have to be incredibly amoral and lucky to exercise this to its full, and even then you couldn't will yourself to fly. Mechanically, we don;t have the ability.

Freedom of mind has always seemed to me to have the least constraint. It is possible for us to imagine things that don't exist. However, those things we can imagine are themselves sytheses of things we already know. There is also the concept of brainwashing. Is this actual taking over of someone's freedom of mind, or more to do with a person's choice based on what s/he believes?

Freedom from material things is one of the bases of many religions and philosophies as material things are usually seen as substitution for something missing, generally spiritual or interpersonal.

I realise (avoiding the "k" word) that I am not free, but I am an atheist and I do believe that I have more freedom without religion. Being atheist, I like to think I live in a world where people are people and not defined by their religion, and I have no reason to make anyone else become something they don't want to be. I really do believe I am more ethical because I do not wish to interfere in other people's lives or beliefs. And my ethics are founded in philosophy before religion.
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013