The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Society & Lifestyles:
Law

Free legal advice to answer to jobs in the sector?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2
Jeanne On April 23, 2010

London, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Dec 03, 2009 @ 16:26:45
Hi everyone,
The Legal industry has taken a bad knock (as most other sectors did as well) but I haven't seen any articles boosting jobs in this field.

However, today I read that Goole residents in East Yorkshire will get improved free face to face legal advice services.
This will be financed by EAst Riding of Yorkshire Council and the Legal Services Commission.

Apparantly East Yorkshire Citizens Advice Bureau won a contract to run the UK's first Community Legal Advice Network.
Does this mean more of these will shoot up across the UK?
And if this is the case, it will lead to more legal jobs . Maybe the day of high profile firm jobs are gone and working in public service is the way forward for young aspirant lawyers...?
I think this will be a fantastic experience for them and it will benefit communities as well. I'm sure this will get lawyers smiling again seeing as their families won't harass them for advice at weddings and birthday parties.
salinaa On May 11, 2010

Surrey, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Dec 07, 2009 @ 12:20:29
Maybe this is a good thing?

I guess they are doing it in one place first though to see how it all pans out etc? If it is successful there I hope they do i8mplement it in other places as well as I think it is something that could definately be beneficial to the local community though don't you?

and if something like this creates more jobs along the way then it is even better!
Jeanne On April 23, 2010

London, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Dec 14, 2009 @ 12:12:30
I really hope so. I spent most of my spare time during the last two months to send my boyfriend's CV out to law firms. He needs to get a trainee position. But they only take on a handful and have in most cases selected their trainees already, some even a year in advance.
Goverment funded legal services like these give hopefuls more places to send their CV and as you say, create a fantastic opportunity for residents. Sometimes you just need some legal advice and you don't want to pay an arm and a leg for it...
salinaa On May 11, 2010

Surrey, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Dec 14, 2009 @ 15:53:32
Exactly and the CAB are always so overwhelmed that when you go there (if you have a walk in one) you can be waiting for a long long time! Others you have to call for an appointment and they take even longer to get through to! So perhaps relieving them of some of the pressure is also a good thing?

It benefits the average joe and those looking for work so its an all round good thing really!
Jeanne On April 23, 2010

London, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Dec 16, 2009 @ 11:11:48
Definitely! Let's just hope that the pioneering service Goole will create will be so impressive that it is something that will be widely spread across the UK. Although I've noticed that although the government is actively trying to assist employment in the UK, they aren't really that fussed with the legal sector. The only sector getting help is the one that directly fuels their economy: the Car industry. And fair enough because manufacturing has become a massive problem during the recession. I would just like to see more help in other sectors directly providing services to the communities, like HEALTH for one. Public service sectors can also do with job creation and funding...but to tell you the truth Salinaa, I can't wait until I don't have to hear the 'r' word on a daily basis...it is becoming like a new type of swear word to me...
salinaa On May 11, 2010

Surrey, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Dec 18, 2009 @ 15:29:44
Hha I like that Jeane! The "R" word is the new swear word to me as well!

I wonder when and if we will ever see the kind of recovery we need to be where we were a few years ago or will the economy be permanently changed by this recession?
Jeanne On April 23, 2010

London, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Jan 05, 2010 @ 14:11:45
Someone told me the other day we are still years off...eeeeeeeeeek, how scary. I really hope it won't get worse though?

Eventually the economy might recover and be as it once was (I hope) but I really hope people don't forget the lessons learnt from this. Normally I would spend whatever money I had on me, living for the moment thinking that my job is safe and that I have heaps of time to save up for a rainy day, however, I've learnt to be more money smart and to my own astonishment I can even do more, when I plan and save etc.
xj
ADUB87 On January 11, 2010

Deleted

Inside a triangle, Bermuda
#8New Post! Jan 05, 2010 @ 14:26:12
My industry of electrical engineering isn't doing too well either Im finished college next month then i have work from feb-sep and then im back in college to start in a different field, Im going to be studying psychology, business studies and social studies, Ireland is in the worst state economically than any other country in the E.U and economist's say it won't get back to normal until 2012, I can't wait around that long! I have to keep myself occupied.
Jeanne On April 23, 2010

London, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Jan 05, 2010 @ 14:47:36
I'm sorry to hear that ADUB87, what a shame, obviously you have the talent and the passion to be an electrical engineer and yet your country can't accommodate your skills... maybe you should look for something in a different country?
It is always a good thing to keep your options open and study on and 2012 is next year...Good luck with everything!
xj
salinaa On May 11, 2010

Surrey, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Jan 05, 2010 @ 16:54:27
Jeanne I love the idea of saving but something always comes up! Part of this years resolutions for me are to try and be more organised and sort out debts and money issues etc! The only problem is that if all the bills etc go up then Im pretty much heading down hill again! Its not likely I will get a pay rise to cope with it all you know?

Adub87 if you can carry on studying then definately do as its better than being out there trying to find work! Keep looking and keeping an eye on whats out there though
Jeanne On April 23, 2010

London, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Jan 13, 2010 @ 14:22:04
Arrr, I'm with you on the organising self and debt. I don't have much debt but have so many things I want to buy.
I know people say money can't buy happiness, but I've noticed I am so happy when I have money to splurge...and so depressed when I don't have any.
I was going around giving advice to all my family and friends last year to not spend too much over the holidays because January will be difficult financially. ANd yet, I was the one spending so much money. I wanted to buy my boyfriend some new clothes and get a couple of nice things for myself and NOW I am depressed...booooo...I need to turn every penny around. Anyways, so definitely I must get focused and money-wise this year.
what do you suggest? Where to start?
salinaa On May 11, 2010

Surrey, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Jan 15, 2010 @ 10:07:33
@Jeanne Said

Arrr, I'm with you on the organising self and debt. I don't have much debt but have so many things I want to buy.
I know people say money can't buy happiness, but I've noticed I am so happy when I have money to splurge...and so depressed when I don't have any.
I was going around giving advice to all my family and friends last year to not spend too much over the holidays because January will be difficult financially. ANd yet, I was the one spending so much money. I wanted to buy my boyfriend some new clothes and get a couple of nice things for myself and NOW I am depressed...booooo...I need to turn every penny around. Anyways, so definitely I must get focused and money-wise this year.
what do you suggest? Where to start?

Sister you should not be asking me for help! I am just as bad if not worse than you hehe!

Im flat broke and need some money from somewhere in order to get through it all lol -- Am broke until pay day and have two weeks to go yet! I honestly think Jan is my worst month!

I love to spend - its hard to stop! !!!!
Jeanne On April 23, 2010

London, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Jan 18, 2010 @ 15:08:55
Exactly!!! Shame he was so nice to me even worked in the garden on Saturday...seemingly my outfits are working hehe, shame he is such a sweetheart!

Some help with our little problem
https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money-savers

They have a couple of suggestions on how to cut costs on your car, phone, shopping etc, as well as advice on how to cut electrical bills etc...maybe this could help.

Because if I don't start budgeting and organising my money I'm going to have to get a second job ...then I'll never even have time to spend any of my money...lol
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs