The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Religion & Philosophy

Found. The tree of knowledge of good and evil.

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 · >>
MadCornishBiker On January 14, 2014

Banned

St Columb Road, United Kingdom
#31New Post! Nov 05, 2011 @ 15:24:53
@chachi Said

Just as there are those people who view the U.S. Constitution in a literal and figurative sense, so are those to the Bible. I probably lie some place in the middle. The things that I don't understand is why did he put such a tempting tree there in the first place? And point it out to them. If it had to be put on earth, why not hide it or put it on the opposite side of the planet? Some people believe that God knows all things, including what we have done and will do in the future. If this is the case, then He knew that Adam and Eve would eat from the tree. Again, what was the point of putting it there if He knew they would do that? It was the ultimate tease, "hey Adam and Eve, see that tree with all the good looking, tasty fruit, dangling there in front of your face? Don't eat it."

Though the bible says nothing specific about that, it seems apparent that the "tree" was symbolic, and was there to make the demarcation between man and God clear.

@chachi Said

The Bible says that the serpent was more crafty than any of the wild animals the Lord God had made. So, didn't God make the serpent like that? Didn't God know what the serpent would do? What was the serpent doing there anyway?

Yes He made it that way, and there is noting wrong with being crafty, it all depends how you use it. If God has a "weakness" at all it is that He tends to trust His creation until it proves to Him that HE shouldn't have. The being behind the Serpent, who later became known as Satan, or the Devil amongst other monikers, had been entrusted with the oversight of activities in the Garden, and it was whilst watching those activities that he got greedy. That is his fault not God's.

It is similar with mankind. We were created with free will, and entrusted to use it wisely. However we haven't done so, and that has brought most of our problems on us.

@chachi Said

I don't think that things are as black and white as we think they are and we really wont know the answers to these kinds of questions until we die.

We won't know the answers when we die either, since the grave is a place of complete unconsciousness, according to the bible anyway. However I think the truth will be obvious to those who survive as far as Armageddon, because what they see will finally convince them, albeit too late. I can just imagine how many people will be wishing they had listened at that time.

To some of us it is obvious where we are in the stream of time, and getting more so almost daily. Even the present global financial situation is a possible indicator of the time when the governments turn on religion and strip it of it's treasures.

Banned

#32New Post! Nov 05, 2011 @ 15:48:40
@GreatestIam2 Said

The resurrection is key to Jesus being divine.
Do you find it strange that the resurrection of Jesus is not narrated in the N T gospels?

Regards
DL

No, because it is mentioned many times, including by those who watched it as he was gathered up in a cloud.

Acts 2:31,32 "he saw beforehand and spoke concerning the resurrection of the Christ, that neither was he forsaken in Ha?des nor did his flesh see corruption. 32 This Jesus God resurrected, of which fact we are all witnesses"

Just as a thought, Jesus did in fact have two resurrections, and I am assuming it was his resurrection to heaven that you meant, that is described by Luke at Luke 24:50-53 "But he led them out as far as Bethany, and he lifted up his hands and blessed them. 51 As he was blessing them he was parted from them and began to be borne up to heaven. 52 And they did obeisance to him and returned to Jerusalem with great joy. 53 And they were continually in the temple blessing God.".
chachi On October 25, 2018

Sacramento,
#33New Post! Nov 05, 2011 @ 16:49:49
You have some very interesting views. I am very curious by nature and I really wish that I could learn everything there is to know after death. I think that I would like to have a long talk with God about a lot of things.

Banned

#34New Post! Nov 05, 2011 @ 17:18:56
@chachi Said

You have some very interesting views. I am very curious by nature and I really wish that I could learn everything there is to know after death. I think that I would like to have a long talk with God about a lot of things.

I doubt that He would tell you much that isn't already explained in the bible. The answers to most questions in there if you look.

If you go to the site in my signature you will probably find biblical answers to all your questions, but if I can help please ask.

Yes I have always been curious by nature, and cynical as well.
chachi On October 25, 2018

Sacramento,
#35New Post! Nov 05, 2011 @ 17:30:36
I want to know about seemingly silly things like is there really life on other planets, etc.

@MadCornishBiker Said

I doubt that He would tell you much that isn't already explained in the bible. The answers to most questions in there if you look.

If you go to the site in my signature you will probably find biblical answers to all your questions, but if I can help please ask.

Yes I have always been curious by nature, and cynical as well.
GreatestIam2 On January 06, 2023

Ottawa, Canada
#36New Post! Nov 05, 2011 @ 17:44:20
@chachi Said

Just as there are those people who view the U.S. Constitution in a literal and figurative sense, so are those to the Bible. I probably lie some place in the middle. The things that I don't understand is why did he put such a tempting tree there in the first place? And point it out to them. If it had to be put on earth, why not hide it or put it on the opposite side of the planet? Some people believe that God knows all things, including what we have done and will do in the future. If this is the case, then He knew that Adam and Eve would eat from the tree. Again, what was the point of putting it there if He knew they would do that? It was the ultimate tease, "hey Adam and Eve, see that tree with all the good looking, tasty fruit, dangling there in front of your face? Don't eat it."

The Bible says that the serpent was more crafty than any of the wild animals the Lord God had made. So, didn't God make the serpent like that? Didn't God know what the serpent would do? What was the serpent doing there anyway?

I don't think that things are as black and white as we think they are and we really wont know the answers to these kinds of questions until we die.

It might answer all your questions if you consider that when Christianity usurped the Jewish O T, they reversed the Jewish view of Eden as mans elevation to having a moral sense. Christianity chose to call it a fall probably because people will pay more $$$$$ if they think they are fallen and guilty than if they think themselves elevated and not in need of a church lifting them up.

It's all about the money and social control and manipulation.

The Jews were right, if you value your moral sense.

Regards
DL

Banned

#37New Post! Nov 05, 2011 @ 17:44:38
@chachi Said

I want to know about seemingly silly things like is there really life on other planets, etc.

The only silly question is the one that isn't asked, but logic would say no. If He had created life on other on the planets He wouldn't have needed to send His son to earth to give his life in sacrifice, He could have just wiped us out and concentrated on the other planets.

Of course that is only logic, but as you get to know God His logic becomes obvious.

Banned

#38New Post! Nov 05, 2011 @ 17:47:02
@GreatestIam2 Said

It might answer all your questions if you consider that when Christianity usurped the Jewish O T, they reversed the Jewish view of Eden as mans elevation to having a moral sense. Christianity chose to call it a fall probably because people will pay more $$$$$ if they think they are fallen and guilty than if they think themselves elevated and not in need of a church lifting them up.

It's all about the money and social control and manipulation.

The Jews were right, if you value your moral sense.

Regards
DL

You really don't understand the bible do you?

Christians didn't usurp the Jewish OT they became the "New Israel" when God abandoned the old one for rejecting His son. The bible makes that very clear, ad that being the case the "OT" is theirs now, not the Jews.

Ottawa, Canada
#39New Post! Nov 05, 2011 @ 17:53:19
@MadCornishBiker Said

Though the bible says nothing specific about that, it seems apparent that the "tree" was symbolic, and was there to make the demarcation between man and God clear.

Yes He made it that way, and there is noting wrong with being crafty, it all depends how you use it. If God has a "weakness" at all it is that He tends to trust His creation until it proves to Him that HE shouldn't have. The being behind the Serpent, who later became known as Satan, or the Devil amongst other monikers, had been entrusted with the oversight of activities in the Garden, and it was whilst watching those activities that he got greedy. That is his fault not God's.

It is similar with mankind. We were created with free will, and entrusted to use it wisely. However we haven't done so, and that has brought most of our problems on us.

We won't know the answers when we die either, since the grave is a place of complete unconsciousness, according to the bible anyway. However I think the truth will be obvious to those who survive as far as Armageddon, because what they see will finally convince them, albeit too late. I can just imagine how many people will be wishing they had listened at that time.

To some of us it is obvious where we are in the stream of time, and getting more so almost daily. Even the present global financial situation is a possible indicator of the time when the governments turn on religion and strip it of it's treasures.

You should really stop making stuff up.
Show where Satan was instructed to be caretaker of Eden.

If Satan was behind the talking snake, controlling it, why did God punish an innocent snake.

Regards
DL

Banned

#40New Post! Nov 05, 2011 @ 18:05:34
@GreatestIam2 Said

You should really stop making stuff up.
Show where Satan was instructed to be caretaker of Eden.

If Satan was behind the talking snake, controlling it, why did God punish an innocent snake.

Regards
DL

Ezekiel 28:14 You are the anointed "cherub that is covering", and I have set you. On the holy mountain of God you proved to be. In the midst of fiery stones you walked about. 15 You were faultless in your ways from the day of your being created until unrighteousness was found in you.

The only thing he could have been covering at the time he got greedy was the Garden of Eden, nothing else needed covering. It doesn't tell us that he was commanded to cover it, but without Yehowah's orders he would not have been able to do so.

Ottawa, Canada
#41New Post! Nov 05, 2011 @ 18:47:26
@MadCornishBiker Said

Ezekiel 28:14 You are the anointed "cherub that is covering", and I have set you. On the holy mountain of God you proved to be. In the midst of fiery stones you walked about. 15 You were faultless in your ways from the day of your being created until unrighteousness was found in you.

The only thing he could have been covering at the time he got greedy was the Garden of Eden, nothing else needed covering. It doesn't tell us that he was commanded to cover it, but without Yehowah's orders he would not have been able to do so.

You are making an assumption and nowhere is the garden mentioned.

If God created all things as scriptures indicate, why would anyone be surprised that unrighteousness was in Satan?

God would have had to put that in him. Satan could not create. God had to create it and place it there.

Right?

Why was the snake punished if Satan was working it?

Regards
DL

Banned

#42New Post! Nov 05, 2011 @ 18:53:36
@GreatestIam2 Said

You are making an assumption and nowhere is the garden mentioned.

If God created all things as scriptures indicate, why would anyone be surprised that unrighteousness was in Satan?

God would have had to put that in him. Satan could not create. God had to create it and place it there.

Right?

Why was the snake punished if Satan was working it?

Regards
DL

Because as I have said, God always trusts until He is given reason not to. He is always surprised when ones He trusts let Him down, and why should He not be, aren't you.

Assumptions, yes, sometimes, and I usually say that they are such, however that was not an assumption, it is the only possible option.

Satan had free will, he simply chose to exercise it wrongly. God never put evil in anyone, nor would he.
futilevoice On October 07, 2016

Deleted

, Illinois
#43New Post! Nov 06, 2011 @ 01:10:26
@MadCornishBiker Said

The only silly question is the one that isn't asked, but logic would say no. If He had created life on other on the planets He wouldn't have needed to send His son to earth to give his life in sacrifice, He could have just wiped us out and concentrated on the other planets.

Of course that is only logic, but as you get to know God His logic becomes obvious.

How is that logical? There may be life out there and who is to say that God did not create it. It is sheer arrogance to think that we are the only life in the universe.

Deleted

, Illinois
#44New Post! Nov 06, 2011 @ 01:15:11
@MadCornishBiker Said

Because as I have said, God always trusts until He is given reason not to. He is always surprised when ones He trusts let Him down, and why should He not be, aren't you.

Assumptions, yes, sometimes, and I usually say that they are such, however that was not an assumption, it is the only possible option.

Satan had free will, he simply chose to exercise it wrongly. God never put evil in anyone, nor would he.

The site is slow posting today. Sorry

Deleted

, Illinois
#45New Post! Nov 06, 2011 @ 01:16:52
@MadCornishBiker Said

I don't think you understood his point. God did create evil, or it would not exist. Every capacity we have was put in us by God.
Also he punished the snake by condemning it to crawl on its belly all of its' days. I think that is what Greatest is talking about.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs