The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Religion & Philosophy

Found. The tree of knowledge of good and evil.

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 · >>
GreatestIam2 On January 06, 2023

Ottawa, Canada
#16New Post! Nov 04, 2011 @ 20:20:23
@MadCornishBiker Said

Depends on what you believe the Higher power to be I guess, to me the only Higher power worthy of the worship and respect is the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, so for that the bible is essential as it is the only guide book we have.

Spoken like someone who has not bothered to look.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x84m5k_2007doc-zone-pagan-christ-1-of-3_news

Regards
DL
MadCornishBiker On January 14, 2014

Banned

St Columb Road, United Kingdom
#17New Post! Nov 04, 2011 @ 20:24:31
@futilevoice Said

YOU made me think you haven't explored them or yourself.

"Self reflection is only valuable if it is in harmony with the bible. If you go the meditation route alone you are to open to the influence of Stan without a bible to check you thoughts against. I have read, and studied a number of Holy Books, and found their words to have no value at all. The only one with any proven value is the bible."

And yet I told in that quoted passage that I had read and studied a number of them, and found them unreliable, that is why I said the rest.

As I said I have explored myself for as long as I can remember, and am rarely satisfied with what I find, hence the constant struggle for improvement, as soon as I realised that is exactly what the bible asks of us I realised how insightful it is. Admittedly I am still too much of a perfectionist, in the personal sense, and I am grateful that though God too is a perfectionist He is prepared to wait until we achieve the perfection he requires, and has always allowed His son to deal with us until we are.

The bible is the only book that teaches that, most basically say "be yourself" which most people interpret as meaning that whatever we are is good enough despite the obvious evidence all around us that this cannot be so.

Banned

#18New Post! Nov 04, 2011 @ 20:31:31
@GreatestIam2 Said

Regards
DL

Spoken like someone prepared to criticise what he doesn't know.

I have already explained, several times and in several places that I have looked and studied fairly comprehensively. I have also had long and detail discussions with Muslims, Buddhists, most denominations of "Christianity", including Ba'Hai (my ex wife was a Christadelphian when I met her, and her parents were staunch members of the Erdington,Birmingham Congregation, which I attended with them a few times. Funnily enough no-one turned a hair when we lived together even though that simply wasn't done them, but we got some really snotty letters when we married, lol.

Why do people assume that because I don't agree with them that I have never even considered what they believe?

Ottawa, Canada
#19New Post! Nov 04, 2011 @ 20:34:52
@Electric_Banana Said

I always thought that the tree of all knowledge revealed to Adam and Eve that God was Satan and that's what pissed off God and sent Adam and Eve running to put on clothes.

I've also speculated that the 'Tree of Knowledge' is just simply the collection of testaments, writings and fictions in our environment that propositionally demonstrate theories concerning the mysterious and lesser known sciences behind life it self.

By 'tree' I mean that we, throughout time, copy and expand on each other's work rather we realize it or not so someone writes something as the 'base' of the tree and future philosophers, inspired by that base, add relevant material that branch out from that tree.

As example most Gothic and Cyberpunk fiction can be traced back to the base that is the Bible.

I know little of Gothic and Cyberpunk but your first is probably closer to the truth.

I prefer to read Eden as a myth of a right of passage from child to adult. KIS works for me.
Further, the authors saw Eden as man's elevation and not the fall that Christianity later called it.

Regards
DL

Ottawa, Canada
#20New Post! Nov 04, 2011 @ 20:39:11
@MadCornishBiker Said

The Tree of the knowledge of Good and Bad, as presented to Adam and Eve and prohibited to them was a symbol of the right to decide what is good and bad for mankind. God reserved that right for himself because he knew, having created them, that mankind would never have sufficient foresight to do it for themselves.

So man is God's make work project and Eden a kennel for blissfully ignorant dogs.

Keep barking your illogical B S.

Regards
DL

Ottawa, Canada
#21New Post! Nov 04, 2011 @ 20:43:19
@MadCornishBiker Said

Spoken like someone prepared to criticise what he doesn't know.

I have already explained, several times and in several places that I have looked and studied fairly comprehensively. I have also had long and detail discussions with Muslims, Buddhists, most denominations of "Christianity", including Ba'Hai (my ex wife was a Christadelphian when I met her, and her parents were staunch members of the Erdington,Birmingham Congregation, which I attended with them a few times. Funnily enough no-one turned a hair when we lived together even though that simply wasn't done them, but we got some really snotty letters when we married, lol.

Why do people assume that because I don't agree with them that I have never even considered what they believe?

Well. In this case, you have not even had the time to listen to that minister so you could not have considered what I believe.

It shows your Christian hypocrisy quite well.

Regards
DL

Banned

#22New Post! Nov 04, 2011 @ 20:49:51
@GreatestIam2 Said

Regards
DL

I have to admit that I cannot understand why the Person interviewed in that video clip says there is no historical evidence for the existence of Jesus. He obviously hasn't looked very far.

Jesus is mentioned in Josephus' "History of the Jews".(Antiquities 18 Chapter 3.3)

"3. Now there was about this time Jesus, a wise man, if it be lawful to call him a man; for he was a doer of wonderful works, a teacher of such men as receive the truth with pleasure. He drew over to him both
many of the Jews and many of the Gentiles. He was [the] Christ. And when Pilate, at the suggestion of the principal men amongst us, had condemned him to the cross, (9) those that loved him at the first did
not forsake him; for he appeared to them alive again the third day; (10) as the divine prophets had foretold these and ten thousand other wonderful things concerning him. And the tribe of Christians, so
named from him, are not extinct at this day."

So there you are, a historical record from a Roman Jew of all people.
futilevoice On October 07, 2016

Deleted

, Illinois
#23New Post! Nov 04, 2011 @ 21:08:38
@MadCornishBiker Said

I have to admit that I cannot understand why the Person interviewed in that video clip says there is no historical evidence for the existence of Jesus. He obviously hasn't looked very far.

Jesus is mentioned in Josephus' "History of the Jews".(Antiquities 18 Chapter 3.3)

"3. Now there was about this time Jesus, a wise man, if it be lawful to call him a man; for he was a doer of wonderful works, a teacher of such men as receive the truth with pleasure. He drew over to him both
many of the Jews and many of the Gentiles. He was [the] Christ. And when Pilate, at the suggestion of the principal men amongst us, had condemned him to the cross, (9) those that loved him at the first did
not forsake him; for he appeared to them alive again the third day; (10) as the divine prophets had foretold these and ten thousand other wonderful things concerning him. And the tribe of Christians, so
named from him, are not extinct at this day."

So there you are, a historical record from a Roman Jew of all people.

"Some Christians point to later writings by Josephus, Tacitus or Pliny. However, all of these people were born AFTER Christ's supposed death, they cannot be used as first hand evidence. Also there are serious problems with these sources - most historians (including most Christian historians) think that Josephus's mention of Christ are a later addition - a pious fraud. And Tacitus and Pliny only record Christians - not Christ, and no-one disputes that there were Christians in the first couple of centuries AD."
ASK.COM
futilevoice On October 07, 2016

Deleted

, Illinois
#24New Post! Nov 04, 2011 @ 21:15:44
@GreatestIam2 Said

Regards
DL

That was an interesting video. I had heard before that monotheism had first been practised by an Egyptian pharaoh who was later shunned by his people. I could believe it may have started in ancient egypt.
As far as Christ actually existing, there are no historical records but I guess this just falls to faith.

Banned

#25New Post! Nov 05, 2011 @ 09:54:14
@GreatestIam2 Said

Regards
DL

@futilevoice Said

That was an interesting video. I had heard before that monotheism had first been practised by an Egyptian pharaoh who was later shunned by his people. I could believe it may have started in ancient egypt.
As far as Christ actually existing, there are no historical records but I guess this just falls to faith.

Again, there is a historical record, in Josephus "Antiquities of the Jews", book 18 chapter 3 paragraph 3.

I don't know why people say there isn't, it can only be ignorance or poor research. It wasn't that hard to find.

That the evidence exists despite people's claims to the opposite does tend to reveal who has looked and who hasn't.

It is far too easy to accept the words of others, it really does pay to check their statements out, as I always have.

Banned

#26New Post! Nov 05, 2011 @ 10:00:38
@futilevoice Said

I had heard before that monotheism had first been practised by an Egyptian pharaoh who was later shunned by his people. I could believe it may have started in ancient egypt.

Monotheism started in the Garde of Eden.

Yes it was Tutankhamen's father Ahkenahton who tried Monotheism out on his people, but it proved so unpopular that his son reversed it and changed his name to Tutanhamen, or more correctly Tut Ank Ahmoon.

That sort of mass mindset does rather explain why the Apostate Christians weren't keen on monotheism and brought in the trinity teaching. After all, the Athenasian Creed does say there are 3 Gods in 1, which isn't exactly monotheistic. Whereas the original of Christianity was and is.

Banned

#27New Post! Nov 05, 2011 @ 10:07:31
@futilevoice Said

"Some Christians point to later writings by Josephus, Tacitus or Pliny. However, all of these people were born AFTER Christ's supposed death, they cannot be used as first hand evidence. Also there are serious problems with these sources - most historians (including most Christian historians) think that Josephus's mention of Christ are a later addition - a pious fraud. And Tacitus and Pliny only record Christians - not Christ, and no-one disputes that there were Christians in the first couple of centuries AD."
ASK.COM

So all history written after the event happens is suspect is it. That causes a lot of problems, since little is written by eye witnesses.

And those 1st century Christians attested to Christ's existence in their historical writings in the NT.

People who try to get out of the fact that the bible is also a history book are only trying to wriggle out of belief in it since the evidence that it is historical, as well as Prophetic and a teaching aid is overwhelming.

You might as well say that every history book ever written is suspect.

Of course if people don't want to believe they will always try to find ways of justifying their refusal to do so. I know I tried, but at least was too honest to stay by it when I discovered how wrong I was. Anyone who thinks otherwise simply doesn't know me or doesn't want to admit it, or both.

Ottawa, Canada
#28New Post! Nov 05, 2011 @ 14:34:40
@futilevoice Said

Yes. Faith in a God who thinks it good justice to set the conditions to have his son murdered to forgive sins when he could and previously did forgive sins without it.

Rather a wasted faith that for a God who thinks it good justice to punish the innocent while letting the guilty walk.

Regards
DL

Ottawa, Canada
#29New Post! Nov 05, 2011 @ 14:42:33
@MadCornishBiker Said

Again, there is a historical record, in Josephus "Antiquities of the Jews", book 18 chapter 3 paragraph 3.

I don't know why people say there isn't, it can only be ignorance or poor research. It wasn't that hard to find.

That the evidence exists despite people's claims to the opposite does tend to reveal who has looked and who hasn't.

It is far too easy to accept the words of others, it really does pay to check their statements out, as I always have.

The resurrection is key to Jesus being divine.
Do you find it strange that the resurrection of Jesus is not narrated in the N T gospels?

Regards
DL
chachi On October 25, 2018

Sacramento,
#30New Post! Nov 05, 2011 @ 15:08:47
Just as there are those people who view the U.S. Constitution in a literal and figurative sense, so are those to the Bible. I probably lie some place in the middle. The things that I don't understand is why did he put such a tempting tree there in the first place? And point it out to them. If it had to be put on earth, why not hide it or put it on the opposite side of the planet? Some people believe that God knows all things, including what we have done and will do in the future. If this is the case, then He knew that Adam and Eve would eat from the tree. Again, what was the point of putting it there if He knew they would do that? It was the ultimate tease, "hey Adam and Eve, see that tree with all the good looking, tasty fruit, dangling there in front of your face? Don't eat it."

The Bible says that the serpent was more crafty than any of the wild animals the Lord God had made. So, didn't God make the serpent like that? Didn't God know what the serpent would do? What was the serpent doing there anyway?

I don't think that things are as black and white as we think they are and we really wont know the answers to these kinds of questions until we die.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs