Fly the Flag?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 · >>
bendover On November 25, 2007

Deleted

Muff, Ireland
#1New Post! Jun 07, 2006 @ 09:03:34
There is a great debate underway regarding English people flying the England flag to support their team who are about to play in the World Cup final touranment in Germany.

There are small England flags that are designed to be attached to the side windows of cars. Some reports have said police would prosecute anyone who causes damage should these flags come off the cars.

I know there are nutters out there that go overboard and will paint their house, car, dog and children in the England flag but I think this talk of people not flying the flag is wrong.

When your country is in an event people should get behind them 100%. The feel good factor for the country will be great and will have very positive effects on the protuctivity of the country.

I know that when Ireland get to an finals be that European or World Cup I proudly fly a six foot Irish Tricolour from a flag pole in my garden. This would be very normal and very few homes would not fly the flag with pride.

What do you think about showing your support for your country?

joni On January 20, 2009

Good old Ashe County, North Ca
#2New Post! Jun 07, 2006 @ 09:27:38
Well I think everyone would agree that showing support for the United States is kind of a bit controversial at the moment, but hey, I support my country I suppose.
Darkshine On May 05, 2010

Sydney, Australia
#3New Post! Jun 07, 2006 @ 09:58:09
As much as Australia does have it's little political elements? I still love my
country as it's a part of me. I hate the decisions the leaders have made, I hate
the level of "Political Correctness" in it's society but I still love it.
Good 'ole ozzy.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Jun 07, 2006 @ 10:01:07
I keep thinking the Mayor is in town but then again he wouldnt be in a Vauxhall Cavaleir would he?

I personally dont want one of those flags. I think they are silly. Thats just my opinion though and ive no intention of staying in England anyways. Its screwed me over too many times for me to care.

Yes im a traitor
macky On May 24, 2007

Deleted

Thomastown, Ireland
#5New Post! Jun 07, 2006 @ 10:05:10
I fly the flag always when ireland are in a big event,its part of our heritage,the same when our hurling team is in action.

Deleted

Muff, Ireland
#6New Post! Jun 07, 2006 @ 10:36:00
@joni Said
Well I think everyone would agree that showing support for the United States is kind of a bit controversial at the moment, but hey, I support my country I suppose.

I think that the most important thing to remember in the debate over flying the flag for your countries team when they are in some important event is that this is all about sport and NOT a political matter.

Many of the TFS members may have major grievances with their government or society in general in their country but that is not your football team's fault or responsibility.

We need to keep sport and politics were they belong, that is in two very seeperate compartments.

Sure the politicians jump on the band wagon when their country is doing well at any sport and God forbid that Engalnd should win the World Cup Beckham will be made a Knight by the Labour government immedicately. But we the ordinary punters who support sport need to tell the politicians to get into the line with the rest of us and leave their "day job" behind when it comes to supporting your team.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Jun 07, 2006 @ 10:37:34
Im not into football either I guess thats why im not bothered
thomo On July 04, 2007

Hull, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Jun 07, 2006 @ 12:12:53
It's an absolute joke, that in certain minority area's you can't fly the england flag.. just where do these people think they are living
treacle On July 11, 2009

B/Stoke, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Jun 07, 2006 @ 12:29:57
im all for it. idont see anything wrong with being patriotic and supporting your country. it does good for the countries morale too.

i love football, and i love the world cup. i just feel like for a couple of weeks we are all tiogether, and i dont think thats anything to be ashamed of, or anything wrong with that.

good post bend!

Deleted

Muff, Ireland
#10New Post! Jun 07, 2006 @ 12:45:47
The National feel good factor that can be inspired by a country have a team in a major competition is a proven fact.

When Ireland play we make special concessions for staff to allow them to see games that are on during the normal working day. Staff watch the matches and make the time up afterwards but actually productivity increases significantly.

Sport has the ability of overhauling political differences in any nation and uniting their people to focus on one goal, no pun intended but glad I used the word.

Get that positive vibb growing becasue of the sport and it has a knock on effect into ever area of the country.

Viva La Revolution. In future all elections will be done away with and the leaders of our countries should be decided on the sports field.
kerrigwen On May 13, 2008

Mississauga, Canada
#11New Post! Jun 07, 2006 @ 13:13:41
@bendover Said
I think that the most important thing to remember in the debate over flying the flag for your countries team when they are in some important event is that this is all about sport and NOT a political matter.

We need to keep sport and politics were they belong, that is in two very seeperate compartments.

Ditto'd! In any sporting event ... I love it when fans fly their teams' flags, I love the almost carnival-like atmosphere that some areas take on. It's not only country flags that fly (though although, I guess for the FIFA stuff it would be) but city ones as well...

The NHL finals are on now (wooo! ) - and omg the entire city of Edmonton's in a crazy festival mood (and they havent even won a game this round yet ) ... people dancing and singing ballads in the street, everyone wearing jerseys with their faces painted, all the stores and buildings with their facades draped in flags, everyone and everything somehow related to the playoffs...business is booming, the drunks are partying every night (lmao - they need the mounties to control the crowds that gather), and their cheers are the loudest by far (in comparison, the Raleigh-ers seem so very dead. )

About the FIFA cup - Toronto's in all sorts of colours! There are a couple of families here that have even painted their house colours for the team they're supporting. I like it, I dont think it's political at all; and everyone's in such a chummy friendly rivalry kinda mood, it's a great atmosphere. Why would anyone have a problem with it? (Thomo, what were you referring to?)

Deleted

Muff, Ireland
#12New Post! Jun 07, 2006 @ 13:19:08
I know that some areas of England consider the flying of the English flag to be racist.

This comes from the racist scum that have hijacked their national flag in their ranting protests at anyone not of English orign having the right to come to their country and live. The extremist actions now make the flying of the flag a race issue.
alicia On January 15, 2007

cardiff,
#13New Post! Jun 07, 2006 @ 13:24:17
hello my names is alicia lol
kerrigwen On May 13, 2008

Mississauga, Canada
#14New Post! Jun 07, 2006 @ 13:24:45
Good grief.

So what...do they fly the UN flag or something? Or would that be somehow misconstrued as well?

I wish people would get out in the world a bit more.

(Hi Alicia. )

Deleted

Muff, Ireland
#15New Post! Jun 07, 2006 @ 13:25:30
Hi Alicia. Are you waving a flag?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs