Forums: News & Current Events:
Environment

Fluorescent Light Bulbs, the Ticking Toxic Time Bomb

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
ugly_ducky On September 30, 2008

Jurassic Pond,
#1New Post! Jul 14, 2007 @ 19:25:06
The fluorescent light bulbs, also called energy saving light bulbs, give out the same amount of light as the ordinary, incandescent applications, but with many advantages in terms of energy consumption and greenhouse gas reductions.

However, there is one major problem with these lamps, the fact that they contain mercury. Mercury vapor is excited in argon or neon gas by electricity passing through it, thus producing light. So, even if they do save a lot of energy and reduce pollution, the fact that many people dispose of burnt out fluorescent light bulbs in ordinary garbage disposal units can lead to an extremely poisonous mercury contamination.

link
loveis On January 15, 2010
brat-inella

Deleted

In the mirror,
#2New Post! Jul 14, 2007 @ 19:26:34
Oooooh, now why'd ya have to scare me like that?!!
wayneofgoats On October 23, 2008

Salt Lake City, Utah
#3New Post! Jul 20, 2007 @ 15:08:13
I can honestly say that I didn't realize that there was mercury in compact fluorescent bulbs. However, I just did a little bit of research on them, and found that all major manufacturing companies have set a voluntary cap on the amount of mercury in each bulb. In any bulb under 25 watts, there is never more than 5 milligrams of mercury. This is still a hazardous amount, especially if you have several bulbs in your house, but at least they have a limit.
Also, most manufacturers are going beyond that limit to reduce concerns about mercury. For example, one of the newest lights produced by Philips contains less than 2 mgs of mercury.
While 2 milligrams of Hg are still sufficient for concern, the lights can be disposed of safely. In most parts o the world, there are now recycling plants that will process the fluorescent lamps. Also, most stores where such light bulbs can be purchased will now collect the used bulbs and recycle them for you at no charge.
I think that the environmental benefits of these bulbs far outweigh the risk the mercury brings up. As long as you take care of the bulbs and dispose of them properly, they shouldn't be a problem. And even if you break a light bulb, which does happen, the small level of mercury isn't really hazardous unless you ingest it or something. Please don't do that.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs