The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
News & Current Events

Five Million Dollar Fine, Five Years In Prison...

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#1New Post! Jan 19, 2011 @ 17:51:41
https://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2011/01/19/ac.gun.doctor.law.against.cnn?iref=allsearch

They are proposing a bill that would make it illegal for a pediatrician to ask parents if they keep guns in the home.

This thread is not about if people have a right to own guns or anything to do with gun laws.

Pediatricians have indicated that more deaths occur between newborn to 18 years old by accident than disease so prevention is key. They ask if people have a pool and if so, teach pool safety so the child won't drown. They ask about smoke detectors, fire extinguishers etc.

But if this bill is passed, if a pediatrician asks a family if they have a gun in the house, the doctor can face a 5 million dollar fine and 5 years in prison. This is much more extreme than if you got caught dunk driving twice, in most states.

So do you think it is wrong for a doctor to avoid talking about gun safety? Should a doctor really go to prison for up t 5 years and pay up to 5 million dollar fine for wanting to know about gun ownership? It is not illegal to ask about a pool, if anyone smokes, if there are smoke detectors, all thing for safety for a child but if soon could be illegal to ask about a gun.
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#2New Post! Jan 19, 2011 @ 17:59:24
I think they should be allowed to ask, but not report. I think it would fall under the doctor/patient privacy thing...

It's not like the doctor has to report that the parent has a gun or that it becomes public record. In fact, I don't see why it would be a big deal.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Jan 19, 2011 @ 18:00:43
I suppose if the Doctor can ask about things like swimming pools etc then why not guns?

Maybe it would be better to do blanket gun safety talks without asking whether they own a gun or not. That way you can avoid the doctor asking personal questions whilst ensuring the parents are aware of gun safety. Again though I guess if they own a gun they probably have to be well versed in safe gun usage.

Perhaps health visitors and child protection should be the ones to do it when they visit the homes.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Jan 19, 2011 @ 18:04:57
what is so harmful in a doctor asking if there is a gun at home?
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Jan 19, 2011 @ 18:07:34
@treebee Said

My doctor once asked me if I had a gun in my pocket.

That's the problem with testicular exams

But yes on topic it does seem a little odd that there should be a law preventing doctors from asking fairly inoffensive questions.
Wellard On April 29, 2012
ect.. .

Deleted

In your Mind, Cape Verde
#6New Post! Jan 19, 2011 @ 18:34:18
They can ask but you don't have to tell them.
sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#7New Post! Jan 19, 2011 @ 18:39:40
I think it's an infringement on their freedom of speech; besides, what is so horrible about the question? In my way of seeing it, it shows the doctor cares. I'd want someone like that seeing after my child, if I had one. - Doesn't matter if said parent already has common sense, the doctor doesn't assume that.

Perhaps furnishing the office with helpful information type pamphlets may be helpful. Then if the parent wishes to inquire he/she may do so.

, Canada
#8New Post! Jan 19, 2011 @ 18:45:19
@treebee Said

As it stands right now, this law would only be valid for Florida. They feel as though it violates their right to privacy about gun ownership.

People have been quoted as saying, having a gun does not impact the safety or health of their child. While I am sure most people who have guns and children, store them properly, children do die when they play with guns. The doctors are trying to ensure the families are safe with the guns as they talk about pool safety when they knew the parents have a pool.

I do not think a doctor should report the family for having a gun or anything but there is no harm in asking and teaching gun safety. It is to prevent an accident, just like with pools just like in asking about smoke detectors and asking parents to check them monthly.

, Canada
#9New Post! Jan 19, 2011 @ 18:52:10
https://www.nwfdailynews.com/articles/-36599--.html

Here is another link. Last year a doctor in Florida asked about guns and how the family stored them. From what I heard on CNN last night, the family told the doctor that it was basically none of his business. The doctor said it was his business. Because the family would not talk about it, the doctor said they were not on the same page and that they had one month to find a new doctor for their child.

No matter if the doctor was right to terminate the patient of not, this is isolated case and he never told the family o get rid of guns, he just wanted to know. He also asked about covers for electrical outlets etc. The family only became upset when it was questions about the guns.

So again, if this bills is passed, a doctor can't ask about a gun.

Perhaps both sides can meet in the middle and make it a fine for doctor to say get rid of the gun or lectures on why he or she feels guns are bad but a general talk, with no reporting of gun does not seem bad to me. The fine is too high and so is the possible sentence for this.
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Jan 19, 2011 @ 18:53:00
so how about if you are a doctor, seeing a child regularly because maybe they have a developmental disability so you know the family well and the parents are divorcing and its a really messy divorce and one of the parents hints about ending it all and taking everyone with them or the doctor is genuinely concerned that the parent will do something very silly they cannot ask if there is a gun at home?
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#11New Post! Jan 19, 2011 @ 18:55:41
What is this, more punishment for less crime year?

This is like the eighth story about how the punishment doesn't fit the crime in a matter of weeks.

I blame someone else's moon.

, Canada
#12New Post! Jan 19, 2011 @ 18:57:47
@treebee Said

so how about if you are a doctor, seeing a child regularly because maybe they have a developmental disability so you know the family well and the parents are divorcing and its a really messy divorce and one of the parents hints about ending it all and taking everyone with them or the doctor is genuinely concerned that the parent will do something very silly they cannot ask if there is a gun at home?

If the doctor feels as though a child is at risk due to mentally unstable parent who has made threats, it is his obligation to report it to authorities ASAP, that is the law. I am unclear as to if the doctor can ask about a gun in that case.

They were reading parts of the proposed bill last night on CNN and with what they read, the doctor can't ask about it at all, in any way, shape or form.

This is the problem, with such a strict bill, this area is gray as with the case you proposed, the safety of the child could be in danger. Reporting to authorities is good but that takes time for them to investigate and in such a case, a life could be saved if doctor knew right away in that case if the unstable parent had access to a gun.

, Canada
#13New Post! Jan 19, 2011 @ 18:59:17
@boobagins Said

This is like the eight story about how the punishment doesn't fit the crime in a matter of weeks.

As they said on tv last night, this fine and sentence is more harsh than someone found guilty of two DUI's. So apparently a doctor asking about a gun in the home where a minor lives is worse than drunk driving. One is a question, one can kill someone.
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Jan 19, 2011 @ 18:59:30
@DorkySupergirl Said

If the doctor feels as though a child is at risk due to mentally unstable parent who has made threats, it is his obligation to report it to authorities ASAP, that is the law. I am unclear as to if the doctor can ask about a gun in that case.

They were reading parts of the proposed bill last night on CNN and with what they read, the doctor can't ask about it at all, in any way, shape or form.

This is the problem, with such a strict bill, this area is gray as with the case you proposed, the safety of the child could be in danger. Reporting to authorities is good but that takes time for them to investigate and in such a case, a life could be saved if doctor knew right away in that case if the unstable parent had access to a gun.

also its a Doctor, someone who has studied all aspects of humanity and sciences, surely they should be qualified enough to judge whether a question is appropriate.
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#15New Post! Jan 19, 2011 @ 19:01:54
@boobagins Said

This is like the eight story about how the punishment doesn't fit the crime in a matter of weeks.

I wish it was my moon.

I suppose there'd be a way around it, like StreetAngel suggested, have pamphlets about gun safety and just send them home with each new patient.

My daughter's pediatrician used to send periodic 'child wellness' updates when she reached milestone ages. They explained what she should be starting to do, what things you can change, etc. They could just slip a pamphlet into those every now and then, like when they're crawling, toddling, become able to open complicated latches.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs