Health & Fitness

Fighting The Cool Factor in Smoking

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
marcus On July 12, 2009

Banned

Membar, Liechtenstein
#1New Post! May 28, 2007 @ 12:39:45
Smoking is bad and has dangerous consequences on the human body, and we all know it. Yet, many smoke due to the cool factor which leads addiction.
Considering the fact the 'cool factor' is the main incentive in smoking esp. to teenagers, what do you think are the ways to fight this 'cool factor'?
cole On October 22, 2023

Stirling, United Kingdom
#3New Post! May 28, 2007 @ 12:46:05
as an ex smoker the first thing i noticed when i stopped is how bad a smoker smells, trust me it ain't that cool to smell that rancid - no point is spraying the Lynx cause lynx + smoker smell still equals bad smell
trillian On May 06, 2010

derbyshire, United Kingdom
#4New Post! May 28, 2007 @ 13:13:51
i am an ex smoker too and i cant believe i used to smell that bad. the entire house smells if people smoke in it, even down to carier bags in drawers.
there is nothing cool about lighting up chemicals and plants and putting them in your mouth.
Kasabian On May 25, 2009

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Jun 13, 2007 @ 11:26:52
@marcus Said
Smoking is bad and has dangerous consequences on the human body, and we all know it. Yet, many smoke due to the cool factor which leads addiction.
Considering the fact the 'cool factor' is the main incentive in smoking esp. to teenagers, what do you think are the ways to fight this 'cool factor'?

good ?

considering advertising is banned it is strange how SO many brats still smoke.

isn't it on the increase?
especially female brats?
stefficles On January 18, 2009

Somewhere, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Jun 13, 2007 @ 11:41:23
They need to make it as looked down upon as drink driving. My parents say that drink driving in their day wasn't such a big deal and I think they gave me the impression that it was "cool" then. Now, I know a couple of people who have drunk drove. But most of my friends take the point of either or, never both. I think drink driving is frowned on these days in a way it never was in the past and this has possibly made it less common. (I don't know statistics, I'm going on opinions of people I know and not the wider population) But, the problem with smoking is it's not an immediate, you smoke you die.

With drink driving you only need to do it once to crash and kill yourself and others... whereas smokers don't notice the affect until its too late, and I think it's this that means it will be harder to stop than other health issues.

I maintain that a way of stopping smokers will be to ban it from public places and to raise the prices of cigarettes. I'm aware that this won't stop seasoned smokers and is more likely to piss them off than anything else. But I started social smoking before anything else so not being able to smoke in pubs is something I look forward to as it will help me to quit. I think with the ban in place less people will be social smokers, or start to smoke socially.

And in terms of kids smoking, they can't afford to smoke as it is generally, and so if they raised the prices (and put the money into the NHS!!!) then it may help less kids start in the first place.
loveis On January 15, 2010
brat-inella

Deleted

In the mirror,
#7New Post! Jun 15, 2007 @ 01:02:00
It's another sad fact of life...and most kids do think it makes them look cool.
The worst part is, that both kids and adults alike tend to have the mentality that 'it won't happen to me'. - And then they find out the truth, much to late in many cases.
tosk On July 04, 2007

Los Angeles, California
#8New Post! Jun 15, 2007 @ 01:16:16
Teenagers will always smoke no matter what impotent attempts their parents make to stop them.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs