Fifa stewards eject 36 Dutch women from Monday's game

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Jun 15, 2010 @ 16:18:19
Fifa is considering legal action against a Dutch brewery it accuses of using women fans to advertise its beer at the World Cup.

Stewards ejected 36 Dutch supporters from Monday's match between the Netherlands and Denmark midway through the second half in Johannesburg.

All were dressed identically in tightly hugging short orange dresses, sold as part of a gift pack by a Dutch brewery.

A brewery representative dismissed Fifa's concerns as "ridiculous".

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/10321668.stm

Ok, how is wearing orange dresses (the national colour of Holland) advertising for a brewery?

This is a picture of the women. I don't see any blatant advertising on their dresses.

charlesdee On August 05, 2010

, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Jun 15, 2010 @ 17:19:21
Was this the game where there was an own goal in favor of Netherlands?

I think I saw this one.
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#3New Post! Jun 15, 2010 @ 19:30:42
Well I guess that means that you and 35 of your friends better not go to the World Cup wearing the same dress in any solid color.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Jun 15, 2010 @ 19:32:48
Remember the Dutch fans wearing bright orange Lederhosen in Germany at the last world cup? All paid for by a Dutch brewery? Then all the German stewards where just like 'no' and wouldn't let people in until they took them off, leaving a decent section of the Dutch crowd watching the match in their undies.
TheMightyOz On March 17, 2015
Awooga!

Luton, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Jun 15, 2010 @ 19:45:44
I can think of better things to do with 36 Dutch women!
Not a dude.

Deleted

#6New Post! Jun 15, 2010 @ 19:53:04
@jmo Said

Remember the Dutch fans wearing bright orange Lederhosen in Germany at the last world cup? All paid for by a Dutch brewery? Then all the German stewards where just like 'no' and wouldn't let people in until they took them off, leaving a decent section of the Dutch crowd watching the match in their undies.

I read an article that referenced that incident. The difference here is that the Lederhosen actually said "Bavaria" on them. These dresses don't seem to have that same connection, although it was indicated that they were given to them by the company.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Jun 15, 2010 @ 19:55:33
@someone_else Said

I read an article that referenced that incident. The difference here is that the Lederhosen actually said "Bavaria" on them. These dresses don't seem to have that same connection, although it was indicated that they were given to them by the company.

Really I think instead of just ejecting them they should have just taken the dresses
\m//O_O\\m/

#8New Post! Jun 15, 2010 @ 19:56:33
@jmo Said

Really I think instead of just ejecting them they should have just taken the dresses

Not a dude.

Deleted

#9New Post! Jun 15, 2010 @ 19:57:11
@jmo Said

If they wanted to be fair.

I think the ladies should file a discrimination suit or something. If that was the deal they offered to the men, they should have offered the same to the women.
\m//O_O\\m/

#10New Post! Jun 16, 2010 @ 14:27:41
Two women in court over World Cup Dutch 'beer stunt'

Two Dutch women have appeared in court in South Africa over an alleged "ambush marketing" stunt at a World Cup match. They were released on bail.

They were accused by Fifa of breaking strict rules on World Cup marketing.

They had all been wearing identical mini-dresses in Dutch orange, sold as part of a gift pack by a Dutch brewery.

The two women appeared in a Johannesburg court on Wednesday under the Contravention of Merchandise Marks Act. They were released on bail and ordered to return to court next Tuesday.

Dutch Foreign Minister Maxime Verhagen called the criminal charges "disproportionate".

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/10331583.stm

Hmm.
davii On January 14, 2013
I'm Awesome

Deleted

London, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Jun 16, 2010 @ 14:29:55

One or two of them need a damn good cuddle
\m//O_O\\m/

#12New Post! Jun 16, 2010 @ 14:33:11
Robbie Earle sacked by ITV for having something to do with it too.
TheMightyOz On March 17, 2015
Awooga!

Luton, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Jun 16, 2010 @ 14:48:47
It is absolutely ridiculous that there have been arrests as a result of people wearing orange to a Netherlands match. For a start, as there are no logos or anything on the dresses, no one would've known it was a marketing stunt if FIFA hadn't kicked up a fuss, and I for one would never have heard of the Bavaria brewery. Even if they have broken FIFA rules, that shouldn't be a criminal offence. Laws are created by governments, not sports regulatory bodies, and I'm sure the South African government has never passed a law stating that it is illegal to upset FIFA. If this is FIFA's attitude to advertising, does it mean that people wearing replica shirts of the clubs that they support could be barred from games due to having the name of a sponsor written across them? I think FIFA should should stop kicking people out of games and start concentrating on getting all the empty seats filled.
\m//O_O\\m/

#14New Post! Jun 16, 2010 @ 14:58:05
@TheMightyOz Said

It is absolutely ridiculous that there have been arrests as a result of people wearing orange to a Netherlands match. For a start, as there are no logos or anything on the dresses, no one would've known it was a marketing stunt if FIFA hadn't kicked up a fuss, and I for one would never have heard of the Bavaria brewery. Even if they have broken FIFA rules, that shouldn't be a criminal offence. Laws are created by governments, not sports regulatory bodies, and I'm sure the South African government has never passed a law stating that it is illegal to upset FIFA. If this is FIFA's attitude to advertising, does it mean that people wearing replica shirts of the clubs that they support could be barred from games due to having the name of a sponsor written across them? I think FIFA should should stop kicking people out of games and start concentrating on getting all the empty seats filled.

Kudos.
Eastender On August 13, 2010

Deleted
Banned

, Falkland Islands (Islas Malv
#15New Post! Jun 16, 2010 @ 14:59:26
Sounds daft. What next? - getting rid of people with the same shade of blonde?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs