Manners & Etiquette

Family member manners

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
Nanato3 On July 22, 2012

calgary, Canada
#1New Post! Jul 20, 2012 @ 04:56:13
A close family member, who I get on with just fine has a couple of habits that is bothering me to no end and I would just like to know if I should ignore it or say something.
Unfortunately their house does not have central air conditioning and all they have is one portable air conditioner. With the heat we've had this summer and with 3 little ones you can imagine how unbearable it has been for them. I like to help out when I can but I just can't afford to get them central air so I did not next best thing and bought them another portable one.
When talking to her yesterday all I got from her when I told her was where she was going to put this unit and how hot it's been there......not one word of thanks. This is not the first time she's done this, it's like it's expected of me and I do get so very annoyed. The same a couple of weeks ago after buying shoes for the children, not a simple thank you from her.
I honestly do not mind one bit buying things for them but all I want in return is a simple "thank you".........is that really asking to much?
The other thing that is really bothering me is when she asks me to pick something up for her, she seldom pays me for it, again I get so annoyed at that and keep saying "never again". She asked me to get something a couple of weeks ago which came to $37, I've asked her a couple of times for it and all I get is "oh that's right, I owe you ..."
I honestly don't expect any payment at all when I choose to buy something but when I'm asked to buy then yes I do expect payment back.
I was bought up to say a simple thank you and I don't think that's too hard to expect back.
Am I being too picky or what? any suggestions other than talking to my son? I don't want to embarrass him
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#2New Post! Jul 20, 2012 @ 05:27:19
kill em.
Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#3New Post! Jul 20, 2012 @ 05:28:52
I had a girlfriend back during my early twenties who really loved debating.

Often times during heated argument I would ask her a question, only to get no response and then have to ask it again.

She would yell back "I SAID YES!!!"

It was years later and looking back I realized that she was actually Cthulhu and during frustrated arguments would often times forget that I was oblivious to the existence of Cthulhu and could not communicate telepathically.

So perhaps they often times are thanking you but forgetting themselves and not doing so vocally by force of habit.
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#4New Post! Jul 20, 2012 @ 05:30:53
@Electric_Banana Said

I had a girlfriend back during my early twenties who really loved debating.

Often times during heated argument I would ask her a question, only to get no response and then have to ask it again.

She would yell back "I SAID YES!!!"

It was years later and looking back I realized that she was actually Cthulhu and during frustrated arguments would often times forget that I was oblivious to the existence of Cthulhu and could not communicate telepathically.

So perhaps they often times are thanking you but forgetting themselves and not doing so vocally by force of habit.

might be embarased for needing help too.

, New Zealand
#5New Post! Jul 20, 2012 @ 05:38:16
@Willi Said

might be embarased for needing help too.

That and I often times forget to thank my partner for things like fixing me a cup of coffee because I always assume that 'Thanks' goes without saying amongst those close and loved and only necessary around strangers to help confirm that you're sincerely grateful.

Also, I'm a little different - If it were me making the cuppa - I would be concerned with quickly getting to my video game so I would set the cup down next to my partner completely forgetting the 'thanks' transaction all together.

But I guess if I paid more attention to other's reactions and my partner didn't thank me and I had time to realize or think it over, it would kinda come off leaving me feeling like Jeeves.
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#6New Post! Jul 20, 2012 @ 05:47:21
@Electric_Banana Said

That and I often times forget to thank my partner for things like fixing me a cup of coffee because I always assume that 'Thanks' goes without saying amongst those close and loved and only necessary around strangers to help confirm that you're sincerely grateful.

Also, I'm a little different - If it were me making the cuppa - I would be concerned with quickly getting to my video game so I would set the cup down next to my partner completely forgetting the 'thanks' transaction all together.

But I guess if I paid more attention to other's reactions and my partner didn't thank me and I had time to realize or think it over, it would kinda come off leaving me feeling like Jeeves.

i try to remember.
but being to broke to buy shoes has gotta feel like crap.

, New Zealand
#7New Post! Jul 20, 2012 @ 05:51:32
@Willi Said

i try to remember.
but being to broke to buy shoes has gotta feel like crap.

Ah, I've been there, man. I try to only change shoes every three years.

And then when I get a pair I get generic while on sale.
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#8New Post! Jul 20, 2012 @ 05:54:41
@Electric_Banana Said

Ah, I've been there, man. I try to only change shoes every three years.

And then when I get a pair I get generic while on sale.

i must be hard on mine, the sole always needs glueing back on,

mine last about a year and are worn out.
then they become work shoes

, New Zealand
#9New Post! Jul 20, 2012 @ 06:01:15
@Willi Said

i must be hard on mine, the sole always needs glueing back on,

mine last about a year and are worn out.
then they become work shoes

I remember, not so long ago, going for a period of eight months, with holes in both shoes, while doing guard rounds in the pouring rain.

"Sloshy Feet"
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#10New Post! Jul 20, 2012 @ 06:09:21
@Electric_Banana Said

I remember, not so long ago, going for a period of eight months, with holes in both shoes, while doing guard rounds in the pouring rain.

"Sloshy Feet"

strange shoes with holes still count as shoes to get into places.
i've been blessed to have the money to get a new $12 pair.
sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#11New Post! Jul 20, 2012 @ 13:27:13
@Nanato3 Said

A close family member, who I get on with just fine has a couple of habits that is bothering me to no end and I would just like to know if I should ignore it or say something.
Unfortunately their house does not have central air conditioning and all they have is one portable air conditioner. With the heat we've had this summer and with 3 little ones you can imagine how unbearable it has been for them. I like to help out when I can but I just can't afford to get them central air so I did not next best thing and bought them another portable one.
When talking to her yesterday all I got from her when I told her was where she was going to put this unit and how hot it's been there......not one word of thanks. This is not the first time she's done this, it's like it's expected of me and I do get so very annoyed. The same a couple of weeks ago after buying shoes for the children, not a simple thank you from her.
I honestly do not mind one bit buying things for them but all I want in return is a simple "thank you".........is that really asking to much?
The other thing that is really bothering me is when she asks me to pick something up for her, she seldom pays me for it, again I get so annoyed at that and keep saying "never again". She asked me to get something a couple of weeks ago which came to $37, I've asked her a couple of times for it and all I get is "oh that's right, I owe you ..."
I honestly don't expect any payment at all when I choose to buy something but when I'm asked to buy then yes I do expect payment back.
I was bought up to say a simple thank you and I don't think that's too hard to expect back.
Am I being too picky or what? any suggestions other than talking to my son? I don't want to embarrass him

I know what "I" would do but it sounds like you are tying to salvage the relationship, not sever it.

Each time you do something for her that is costing you, I would first say things like "I can't do this all the time, it's getting too expensive" - things to that nature.
That should set off an alarm in her head and she should, if she's normal, begin to have appreciation, or at least to start showing it as she realizes it may soon not be there anymore...
And even if she does thank you; it's a way of getting her used to the idea that you simply can NOT always be there for her in that way. (and she should not expect you to be; no matter if you are in the position to be or not; it is her responsibility, so don't feel guilty about it. )

In the case of the things you pick up for her. If you choose to continue doing these things, then tell her "sure, I'll do it, give me the money."
Don't agree to get it later when you return with the stuff. If you have to lie and say you have no money on you, then do it. Or acutally leave your money/credit cards at home so you don't have to lie.

We really do have to teach people how to treat us...Things don't always come natural. And quite frankly, some are simply jealous; also, instead of the natural feeling of gratitude they instead may have resentment.
So show her by your own actions that you matter to yourself, and that you will no longer be taken for granted.
Why feel guilty for this treatment? Does she feel guilty for her treatment of you?
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#12New Post! Jul 20, 2012 @ 13:46:21
Call me weird, but I actually enjoy buying things for my family, when they want them or need them.. and I don't expect thanks, because helping them out makes me feel good.

I just let my mother have $5000 for dental work.. she didn't say thank you, and I don't expect her to. For christs sake, she's my family, and if she needs new teeth, and can't afford them on her own, it's my pleasure to get them for her.

Next time, instead of getting all in a snit about not hearing a family member say "thank you", remember all the good stuff in your life that wouldn't be there if you didn't have a family at all..

Maybe then, you'll start saying thank you to them for allowing you to pay it forward..
wednesday76 On February 25, 2013

Dodging the Daggers, United Ki
#13New Post! Jul 20, 2012 @ 13:47:35
I honestly think it does bother you a little.
And rightly so....
Some people take others for granted, i have been guilty of this in the past myself..Once you pass that line of helping someone it is expected in a sense! It is not done maliciously just out of mind so to speak because you have helped in the past.

Scenario: My mother took my children to school everyday for 8 weeks while i was ill. She got my shopping and helped me with certain things in the house.
After a while you become industrialized to this as normal and forget that this person is actually helping you beyond the extremes...
Demented On January 31, 2024

, Australia
#14New Post! Jul 20, 2012 @ 14:45:35
@Nanato3 Said

I have a Brother in Law like that,thick as two planks when it comes to doing the most simple repairs around his house and because of it his house looks like a s*** house and always crying poor mouth.

You walk in and there are 5 flat screen TV's in the place,not just a 32",he has to have the 50" or bigger,3 Fox units and game consoles all over the place (some working some not)2 cars in the driveway both brand new yet they don't have A/C in the place,in his words? "F*ck that,it costs to much to run".
His brother said to him once about doing something around the place to clean it up and fix a few things,but he said straight out "I'm not doing anything to something I don't own" meaning they are still paying it off,Tom the brother,just threw me a glance and shook his head.

In this Family please and thank you are words you only hear other people speak in the place.

It's one thing to help a person out,but when they can't even show the slightest bit of gratitude,why bother all you'll do is make a servant of yourself to them. I'm sure your hearts in the right place with this lot,but if they can't look after themselves,look after Number 1 instead and let them fend for themselves their own way.
townie_guy On May 07, 2013

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Jul 20, 2012 @ 14:49:43
@boxerdc Said

Call me weird, but I actually enjoy buying things for my family, when they want them or need them.. and I don't expect thanks, because helping them out makes me feel good.

I just let my mother have $5000 for dental work.. she didn't say thank you, and I don't expect her to. For christs sake, she's my family, and if she needs new teeth, and can't afford them on her own, it's my pleasure to get them for her.

Next time, instead of getting all in a snit about not hearing a family member say "thank you", remember all the good stuff in your life that wouldn't be there if you didn't have a family at all..

Maybe then, you'll start saying thank you to them for allowing you to pay it forward..

I got to agree with Boxer on this.

But then again, I have never enjoyed getting praise, it embarrasses me.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs