The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Random

False things that other countries hear about Aussies lol....

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 · >>
scardycat On May 17, 2014

, Australia
#1New Post! Jul 22, 2012 @ 11:44:39
I wasnt sure where to put this so I popped it here.
TV and TV shows can give such a false view of how other countries live. In fact when I saw how some see Aussies it made me laugh.
Id like to let you know. We dont have kangaroos as pets and they dont just jump down the streets of our cities or towns. You might see one in a town if your out in the outback but this is very unlikely. They live in the bush and sometimes youll see them in paddocks. We dont have drop bears either that came from a TV commercial there not real. Most Aussies dont eat emu eggs, kangaroo, wombats, snakes or crocodles some do but not many. Oh yeah throw a shrimp on the BBQ thats bulls*** we dont all eat that either lol
We dont live in shacks and we have running water and proper roads lol. Australia is like any other western society and we eat the same as others do too. Oh yeah where not all piss head that roam the streets with cans of beer in our hands and saying G'day mate lol
Im not sure how other countries get these ideas but on the internet I have been asked these questions many times. I think there quite funny. if you can think of anything else you think we do or eat. Id love to hear them
sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#2New Post! Jul 22, 2012 @ 12:44:05
Well it's nothing "false" that I've heard...but hearing that song "Land down under"; the bit where he talks of a "veggiemite sandwich"...I never knew what the f*** that was, still don't really ..but always sounded quite horrible to me, like a cross between veggies and termites.
sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#3New Post! Jul 22, 2012 @ 12:46:19
I'll admit, I did have visions of walking down the streets there and being able to wave to a kangaroo across the street.
Lil_O_Me On August 22, 2012

Deleted

, Kentucky
#4New Post! Jul 22, 2012 @ 13:20:14
I laugh off half I hear of many things said about a Country.
I think sometimes People judge on rumors and jokes
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Jul 22, 2012 @ 13:23:03
@scardycat Said

TV and TV shows can give such a false view of how other countries live. In fact when I saw how some see Aussies it made me laugh.
Id like to let you know. We dont have kangaroos as pets and they dont just jump down the streets of our cities or towns. You might see one in a town if your out in the outback but this is very unlikely. They live in the bush and sometimes youll see them in paddocks. We dont have drop bears either that came from a TV commercial there not real. Most Aussies dont eat emu eggs, kangaroo, wombats, snakes or crocodles some do but not many. Oh yeah throw a shrimp on the BBQ thats bulls*** we dont all eat that either lol
We dont live in shacks and we have running water and proper roads lol. Australia is like any other western society and we eat the same as others do too. Oh yeah where not all piss head that roam the streets with cans of beer in our hands and saying G'day mate lol
Im not sure how other countries get these ideas but on the internet I have been asked these questions many times. I think there quite funny. if you can think of anything else you think we do or eat. Id love to hear them

Blimey, you've just negated all the things that everybody likes about you..!!

ninozara On April 30, 2020

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Jul 22, 2012 @ 13:23:57
@sTreetAngeL Said

Well it's nothing "false" that I've heard...but hearing that song "Land down under"; the bit where he talks of a "veggiemite sandwich"...I never knew what the f*** that was, still don't really ..but always sounded quite horrible to me, like a cross between veggies and termites.

Vegemite is like Marmite (do you have that?). It's made from yeast extract, started with using the left over from Beer manufacture, but I dunno if they still do. It's got a very distinctive taste - here Marmite is advertised under the slogan 'You either love it or hate it'. You kind of have to try it to really understand.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Jul 22, 2012 @ 13:24:30
@sTreetAngeL Said

I believe Vegemite is the Aussie version of our Marmite. It's basically a spread made from yeast extract. Very good for you, but you either love it or hate it.

I am in the 'Love It' camp.

Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Jul 22, 2012 @ 13:38:00
A friend and I once spent a brilliant time in the company of a bunch of Aussie students in London, at a place called the Outback Bar somewhere near Earls Court. Yep, it was an Australian themed bar. I'd never been in one before.

Every Aussie student in London (and there are a lot of them) who didn't have a ticket for the England vs Australia rugby test being played at Twickers that day must have crammed in there to watch the match on the big screen.

Me and my mate were the only ones wearing England shirts, which got us a good ribbing, but it was all banter.... even when England won.

We had to drink something called a "Wallaby" every time a try was scored by either team. It was a yellow and green concoction made with......something (somebody would have told me but if you ever drunk several of them you'd know why I couldn't remember what they are) which somehow separated in the glass.

Determined not to let the Old Country down, we kept pace with the Aussies and gained their respect, even if we had the mother of all hangovers for the next week.

It was an amazing afternoon and evening. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves with a bunch of Bonza blokes and girls.

So OK.... national stereotypes exist. It's not a big deal if it's taken lightly. There are plenty of stereotypes about Brits and I laugh them off when in the company of Aussies or Kiwis.... or whoever.

If we can't laugh at ourselves from time to time then it's a pretty poor show, in my opinion.

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Jul 22, 2012 @ 13:40:34
When my Grandad went to get his Motorcycle license, he just drove to the nearest Police Station (about 30 minutes away). They just asked if he'd had any problems, and handed over a license! No tests or anything

I bet you guys have all sorts of rules now...but that is what Australia is like in my imagination, everywhere is really far away and empty, and you don't have to do tests. That and the Christmas Day BBQ's on the beach my Dad always talks about (no Shrimp though! - I always thought they'd be a bit small tbh).

Is it an Australian thing to use seafood as a term on endearment, or is that just my family?

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Jul 22, 2012 @ 13:45:07
@Jennifer1984 Said

I believe Vegemite is the Aussie version of our Marmite. It's basically a spread made from yeast extract. Very good for you, but you either love it or hate it.

I am in the 'Love It' camp.

When I was little I thought Vegemite was the vegetarian version of Marmite...though what meat I thought was in Marmite I don't know
townie_guy On May 07, 2013

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Jul 22, 2012 @ 14:03:46
@scardycat Said

nect your gonna tell me Crocodile Dundee isnt real.
Demented On January 31, 2024

, Australia
#12New Post! Jul 22, 2012 @ 14:37:08
@scardycat Said

Is there anything else that I've worked hard on this site to have the rest of the world believing about Australia that you'd like to blow out of the water???,and while I'm at it WE CAN eat all the things you say we don't eat,you seem to forget,this is the only country in the world where you can eat the two creatures on our countries emblem (Kangaroo and Emu for all the rest of you).

Kangaroo is very strong tasting meat and needs to be cooked a special way to be edible,otherwise your best off gluing it to the bottom of an old Boot.

Crocodile and Snake both taste a little like Chicken,not bad actually.

Americans have Shrimp,We here in Australia have Prawns,and regardless of what the original poster claims WE DO throw them on the BBQ if we want to,usually with a nice big nob of Butter and Garlic to taste.

I don't know or want to know for that matter where your from scardycat,but your certainly NOT an Aussie when you come out with all the crap you just have Just for the record,WE DO SAY G'DAY,it's the most recognized words in the Australian language where ever we go in the world as a greeting,but of course you probably like most today just say Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Jul 22, 2012 @ 14:56:57
@Demented Said

Americans have Shrimp,We here in Australia have Prawns,and regardless of what the original poster claims WE DO throw them on the BBQ if we want to,usually with a nice big nob of Butter and Garlic to taste.

But aren't they too small? Or do you wrap them in tin foil or something? Or do you guys have the King Sized ones? (it always really confused me)

, Australia
#14New Post! Jul 22, 2012 @ 15:00:01
@Demented Said

Is there anything else that I've worked hard on this site to have the rest of the world believing about Australia that you'd like to blow out of the water???,and while I'm at it WE CAN eat all the things you say we don't eat,you seem to forget,this is the only country in the world where you can eat the two creatures on our countries emblem (Kangaroo and Emu for all the rest of you).

Kangaroo is very strong tasting meat and needs to be cooked a special way to be edible,otherwise your best off gluing it to the bottom of an old Boot.

Crocodile and Snake both taste a little like Chicken,not bad actually.

I don't know or want to know for that matter where your from scardycat,but your certainly NOT an Aussie when you come out with all the crap you just have Just for the record,WE DO SAY G'DAY,it's the most recognized words in the Australian language where ever we go in the world as a greeting,but of course you probably like most today just say Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Omg lol Are you for real yes I was born here in oz. dont get your knickers in a knot I said some eat kangaroo, emu and croc not all. yeah its prawns but some may of not known what I meant if I used that term. I know some eat it but not everyone. For ffs most of us cook snags hammys and chops steak and chook on the bbq well most of the time. Well I do anyway and thats like most dont give me that lol I
said we dont walk around with a beer in our hand saying G'day. Not we dont say Gday. I dont say G'day I say hi and most Aussies do. So stop having a spaz

, Australia
#15New Post! Jul 22, 2012 @ 15:02:23
@ninozara Said

But aren't they too small? Or do you wrap them in tin foil or something? Or do you guys have the King Sized ones? (it always really confused me)

We have both but we use the king size ones and not everyone eats them.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs