Hockey

Face masks in the NHL

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
annski729 On July 24, 2016

, United States (general)
#1New Post! Dec 24, 2009 @ 01:31:42
I'm watching the Isles/Leafs game and an Islanders player just got cut with the bottom of a skate. It came SO close to his eye. There have been other injuries in the past where players get slashed with skates, and high sticks are common too.

Why the f*** don't these morons value their faces more? Wear a f***ing face mask!

Most people say "well they can't see as well with them." but college hockey players use them, and all goalies use them.

If the goalie can manage to see the puck (additionally, with players constantly in front of them acting as screens) then why can't a forward or defenseman?
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Dec 24, 2009 @ 01:33:37
Aberdeen player Grassi plays in a mask like this

#3New Post! Dec 24, 2009 @ 01:34:26
@jmo Said

Aberdeen player Grassi plays in a mask like this

...that doesn't really seem effective for a hockey player
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Dec 24, 2009 @ 01:36:12
@annski729 Said

...that doesn't really seem effective for a hockey player

No, don't think it would be. He only wears that to keep his nose from falling off his face or something weird like that. He had a pretty bad injury last year.
Thranduil On August 31, 2013

QUINCY, Kentucky
#5New Post! Dec 24, 2009 @ 01:36:15
I remember this one game, a goalie got slashed right across the throat by a player's ice skate, you could see the arterial spurt just paint the ice red with blood!!
Luckily the ref knew what to do, he immediately got a towel and put pressure on it until paramedics arrived, as a result, all goalies have to wear neck guards!!

#6New Post! Dec 24, 2009 @ 01:46:47
@Thranduil Said

I remember this one game, a goalie got slashed right across the throat by a player's ice skate, you could see the arterial spurt just paint the ice red with blood!!
Luckily the ref knew what to do, he immediately got a towel and put pressure on it until paramedics arrived, as a result, all goalies have to wear neck guards!!

I think I know which injury you're talking about but I can't remember the game/player.

& I could be wrong, but I don't think all goalies have to wear neck guards, however, goalies who don't are stupid
doubtingthomas On April 26, 2010
Jesus is my homie

Monterey, California
#7New Post! Dec 24, 2009 @ 01:50:01
@annski729 Said

I'm watching the Isles/Leafs game and an Islanders player just got cut with the bottom of a skate. It came SO close to his eye. There have been other injuries in the past where players get slashed with skates, and high sticks are common too.

Why the f*** don't these morons value their faces more? Wear a f***ing face mask!

Most people say "well they can't see as well with them." but college hockey players use them, and all goalies use them.

If the goalie can manage to see the puck (additionally, with players constantly in front of them acting as screens) then why can't a forward or defenseman?

Same reason why most rugby players dont' wear ear protection. Head first into a scrum and your ear is sure to get smashed. But they dont' do it.

Same reason anyone would ever ride a motorcycle.

I mean your junk is inches from a series of gasoline fueled explotions. If you hit something the first thing to feel the impact is your junk resting on the fuel filled gas tank, after than your flying head first into the thing that stopped your fast moving METAL motorcycle. I mean.. if the metal motorcycle coun't pass though it, why wouldn't your fleshy little neck?

The answer to all these questions is... Its fun

#8New Post! Dec 24, 2009 @ 01:52:49
@doubtingthomas Said

Same reason why most rugby players dont' wear ear protection. Head first into a scrum and your ear is sure to get smashed. But they dont' do it.

Same reason anyone would ever ride a motorcycle.

I mean your junk is inches from a series of gasoline fueled explotions. If you hit something the first thing to feel the impact is your junk resting on the fuel filled gas tank, after than your flying head first into the thing that stopped your fast moving METAL motorcycle. I mean.. if the metal motorcycle coun't pass though it, why wouldn't your fleshy little neck?

The answer to all these questions is... Its fun

Obviously playing hockey is fun. But not taking additional safety precautions when they are available and you are playing a contact, risky sport is IMO, stupid.

I'm not saying obsess over being safe and don't ever leave your house to have some fun. It's a risk crossing the street, but you look both ways right? Just running into the street might be fun, but it's stupid to do.
Jesus is my homie

Monterey, California
#9New Post! Dec 24, 2009 @ 02:03:03
@annski729 Said

Obviously playing hockey is fun. But not taking additional safety precautions when they are available and you are playing a contact, risky sport is IMO, stupid.

I'm not saying obsess over being safe and don't ever leave your house to have some fun. It's a risk crossing the street, but you look both ways right? Just running into the street might be fun, but it's stupid to do.

Well you eventualy reach a point where it all comes down to perspective really.

Look back on early American foot ball players. Leather helmets where some of the only safty equipment nessary at the time. A few fractured heads, and broken necks and now we have the plastic clad warriors we see on sunday nights.

I suspect that the same could be said for hocky players, not enuff of them have had suffecent damage to requre additional safty equipment. Remember safty equipment and the need to wear it is entirely driven by the MINORITY of a sport. The majority of sports if played without safty equipment won't result in perment damage. In most cases the safty equipment can actualy be the cause of injurys. Imagine being the only person on the foot ball field wearing a plastic helmet and everyone not. Now your safty equipment has become a weapon.

Agian geting back to perspective... not wearing a face mask isn't anywhere close to be the dumbest thing you can do on ice wearing bladed shoes. In my opinion simply being on ice at all is dumb mistake, let alone a wearing a face mask while doing it.

#10New Post! Dec 24, 2009 @ 02:15:41
@doubtingthomas Said
In most cases the safty equipment can actualy be the cause of injurys. Imagine being the only person on the foot ball field wearing a plastic helmet and everyone not. Now your safty equipment has become a weapon.

I am at a loss as to how a face mask or goalie's neck mask can cause an injury to another player. Face masks are currently optional, and many players choose to wear them. I don't know of any injuries that have been caused by one player's face mask acting as a "weapon" that have hurt someone else.If you can come up with any plausible scenarios I'd be interested in hearing.

I do think wearing a half face mask could cause injury to the wearer if a high stick got caught up in it and spent more time in the player's face area because the mask blocked it from leaving cleanly. (That's why I advocate full face masks )

@doubtingthomas Said
Agian geting back to perspective... not wearing a face mask isn't anywhere close to be the dumbest thing you can do on ice wearing bladed shoes. In my opinion simply being on ice at all is dumb mistake, let alone a wearing a face mask while doing it.

I agree that not wearing a face mask isn't the "dumbest" thing you can in ice hockey. But I still think it's dumb not to take an additional precaution to protect your face/neck when you are already playing a dangerous sport, and I don't see how wearing additional protection makes it more dangerous.

Again, my point is not "don't totally refrain from doing something because it's dangerous" but my point is "if you're doing something dangerous, take precautions when they are available"
Jesus is my homie

Monterey, California
#11New Post! Dec 24, 2009 @ 02:39:06
Fighting is part of that sport right?

If I punch you in the face and your wearing a mask, and I wasn't wouldnt' that give you a unfair advantage?

Wouldn't me waring a mask and you not make me less of a testostone filled ice junkie?

It all really comes down to how cool you look in the end. I think lost of teeth and crooked noses must be in style in hockey circles.

Honestly i'm just guessing at this point I feel the whole sport is silly any how, face masks or not.

Are helmets mandatory? If so, look at the reasoning behind them and how mandatory helmet play was brought about. I'm sure face masks will follow the same line of reasoning, I mean faces are connected to heads.. so its all the same overall region right?

LOL i dono.. i'm just BSing til my shift at work is over.

#12New Post! Dec 24, 2009 @ 03:21:16
@doubtingthomas Said

Fighting is part of that sport right?

Yes, although I don't think it should be I actually think it takes away from the game.

@doubtingthomas Said
If I punch you in the face and your wearing a mask, and I wasn't wouldnt' that give you a unfair advantage?

Yes it would. Most players toss off their gloves and often their helmets, but that's an interesting point. Consistent with your point, goalies typically do not fight as often as other players because they are wearing so much more equipment, so if they do fight, it's almost always with the other goalie to be more evenly matched.

@doubtingthomas Said
Wouldn't me waring a mask and you not make me less of a testostone filled ice junkie?

It all really comes down to how cool you look in the end. I think lost of teeth and crooked noses must be in style in hockey circles.

If anyone derives their sense of manliness from not wearing face protection...well let's just say that's consistent with my point that not wearing a face mask is a dumb decision

@doubtingthomas Said

Honestly i'm just guessing at this point I feel the whole sport is silly any how, face masks or not.

Are helmets mandatory? If so, look at the reasoning behind them and how mandatory helmet play was brought about. I'm sure face masks will follow the same line of reasoning, I mean faces are connected to heads.. so its all the same overall region right?

Yes, helmets are mandatory.

@doubtingthomas Said
LOL i dono.. i'm just BSing til my shift at work is over.

Thanks for saying what I was thinking dude
vekta On November 18, 2013

#13New Post! Dec 24, 2009 @ 03:55:31
I think college hockey is a tad different than NHL and Olympic hockey. When I used to be able to watch College hockey, it never seem as fast paced and physical as NHL hockey.

That might have something to do with it on some small level. I can see why they require goals to wear what they do. They have having hard chunks of vulcanized rubber shot at them over and over again at speeds close to and over 100 mph. Other players aren't subject to the same constant and aimed cannon fire as the goalies are.

Still...it IS kinda retarded to skate around a shooting gallery specially when you have guys in the league that belt them out like Al Mcinnis.The guy broke jocelyn thibault's finger through his glove mind you.

#14New Post! Dec 24, 2009 @ 04:13:34
@vekta Said

I think college hockey is a tad different than NHL and Olympic hockey. When I used to be able to watch College hockey, it never seem as fast paced and physical as NHL hockey.

That might have something to do with it on some small level. I can see why they require goals to wear what they do. They have having hard chunks of vulcanized rubber shot at them over and over again at speeds close to and over 100 mph. Other players aren't subject to the same constant and aimed cannon fire as the goalies are.

Still...it IS kinda retarded to skate around a shooting gallery specially when you have guys in the league that belt them out like Al Mcinnis.The guy broke jocelyn thibault's finger through his glove mind you.

If professional hockey is more fast paced and physical...isn't that even more reason to wear a face mask?

And Al McInnis! Is he still playing or has he retired? I haven't heard his name in a while.

The last slapshot/speed skills contest I watched I remember Adrian Aucoin clocked in at like 103 mph...and he came in second or something. Crazy s***.
vekta On November 18, 2013

#15New Post! Dec 24, 2009 @ 04:25:38
@annski729 Said

If professional hockey is more fast paced and physical...isn't that even more reason to wear a face mask?

And Al McInnis! Is he still playing or has he retired? I haven't heard his name in a while.

The last slapshot/speed skills contest I watched I remember Adrian Aucoin clocked in at like 103 mph...and he came in second or something. Crazy s***.

I think he retired a couple years ago. He just seemed like a good example at the time.

It would certainly make more sense but the NHL just doesn't require the players to wear them.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs