World Cup

FIFA World Cup 2018

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
newcarscent7 On March 18, 2020

Cleveland, Ohio
#1New Post! Jun 23, 2018 @ 17:48:54
I figured I'd make a thread, unless there already is one.

Is it just me, or is there a severe lack of interest in the cup this year?
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#2New Post! Jun 23, 2018 @ 18:57:53
Other than the earthquake ... not that I've seen either.

Oh, then there was that one goalie guy that kicked the ball to the wrong team and got scored on ... bummer

... Kinda like thinking you were winning the game with :04 to go ....
cole On October 22, 2023

Stirling, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Jun 23, 2018 @ 19:01:48
@newcarscent7 Said

I figured I'd make a thread, unless there already is one.

Is it just me, or is there a severe lack of interest in the cup this year?

Probably because it's in Russia. I managed to catch a few of the games, certainly involving those that are considered "big" teams (Germany, Brazil, Argentina, Spain etc) and they just ain't having a great world cup. I'm actually surprised watching some of these teams they just seemed to have left their motivation at home. Argentina were dismal against Iceland and Croatia (who played fantastically) Brazil struggled against Switzerland and only did mildly better against Costa Rica. Germany were terrible against Mexico and they are playing worse currently against Sweden. England didn't look that great against Tunisia and France against Australia and Peru were a bit of a uphill struggle too.

NE, Ohio
#4New Post! Jun 23, 2018 @ 19:32:25
I think also because USA isn't in it.

But they fixed that for the 2026 World Cup by selecting Canada, US and Mexico as hosts.

Wiki

... I'll bite my tongue on any political commentary
cole On October 22, 2023

Stirling, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Jun 23, 2018 @ 19:50:05
@mrmhead Said

I think also because USA isn't in it.

But they fixed that for the 2026 World Cup by selecting Canada, US and Mexico as hosts.

Wiki

... I'll bite my tongue on any political commentary
Yeah this was announced last week or so, seemed a weird pick. Why not just in any one of those countries who could have easily hosted the games on their own. Does that mean each of those nations get automatic qualification which is a bit crap for 3 nations to get automatic qualification rather than the usual 1
chaski On about 2 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#6New Post! Jun 23, 2018 @ 20:19:23
I'm pulling for:

Group A - Uruguay
Group B - Spain
Group C - Denmark
Group D - Iceland (But will be happy with Croatia also)
Group E - Switzerland (But always like Brazil)
Group F - Mexico (Not normally a fan, but can't help it this year)
Group G - Belgium (But will be happy with England)
Group H - Japan (But really would be happy with Senegal, Poland or Columbia)

After that I am hoping for something crazy like Iceland all the way, highly unlikely.

Or maybe Spain, Belgium, Mexico or Japan.

I hope that Brazil, Argentina, Germany and France don't go to the final.

And evil part of me wants Russia to be the champion and then be disqualified for drug performance enhancing drugs, but I don't know that FIFA is really that tight on it.
newcarscent7 On March 18, 2020

Cleveland, Ohio
#7New Post! Jun 24, 2018 @ 15:44:01
I'm astonished at the large number of own goals being scored this summer
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#8New Post! Jun 26, 2018 @ 15:59:32
I like how Volkswagen is teasing America by saying we can root for other countries.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#9New Post! Jun 26, 2018 @ 17:20:23
Yes, interest took a nosedive here in the US because the US is not in it for the first time since the 80’s (when US professional soccer was almost non-existent).

People don’t realize how much of a blow it is to US soccer in general to fail to qualify, as not only is the present men’s national team in disarray, but youth interest takes a huge hit, which is vital for the future of the sport here.

That all said, the MLS is still going, so they must be doing something right. And yes, the US will be hosting again in 10 years, although I don’t agree with the three nation hosting (Canada and Mexico included), since it means two more deserving nations won’t be able to get in that year than usual.

At any rate, I’ll probably pick up interest once we reach the quarters or semis of this thing and perhaps actually watch the final if it is available via a streaming app or service. Then again, due to my always busy schedule, I may forget about it completely.
Stalker

#10New Post! Jun 26, 2018 @ 23:14:48
Iceland is out.

Oh well... on to one of my other selections... I think I'll root for Mexico... for now...

Note: I am a fair weather sports fan... thus "my" team always wins...
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#11New Post! Jun 27, 2018 @ 02:01:49
@chaski Said

Iceland is out.

Oh well... on to one of my other selections... I think I'll root for Mexico... for now...

Note: I am a fair weather sports fan... thus "my" team always wins...

I’m currently rooting for Brazil and England.
Stalker

#12New Post! Jun 27, 2018 @ 20:08:57
@Cpat92 Said

I’m currently rooting for Brazil and England.

I bet Trump is pulling for Russia.

Just kidding... couldn't resist...
Stalker

#13New Post! Jun 27, 2018 @ 21:44:28
Round of 16:

So here are my preferences (not what I actually think is going to happen, but what I want...)

> France over Argentina: Maradona must go down!!!

> Uruguay over Portugal: I would normally pick Portugal, but IMO Cristiano Ronaldo's penalty kick against Spain was BS, so I hope they lose...just my opinion.

> Spain over Russia: I'm mostly for Spain because of that Cristiano Ronaldo's penalty kick.

> Denmark over Croatia: Actually I think Croatia might be on a role, but can't resist Hamlet's team.

> Mexico over Brazil: Normally I would go with Brazil, but I'm in solidarity with those at my country's southern boarder this year.

> Sweden vs Switzerland... I'm all in for either of them, but maybe leaning a little towards the Norsemen (I'm not sure what their mascot is, if they even have one... so "Norsemen" for now).

More to follow...

NE, Ohio
#14New Post! Jun 27, 2018 @ 23:50:13
@chaski Said

> Mexico over Brazil: Normally I would go with Brazil, but I'm in solidarity with those at my country's southern boarder this year.

I heard there was a ruckus over some US player rooting for Mexico - their arch-rival (I guess, I don't follow)
I guess that would be like a Browns player rooting for the Steelers in the playoffs.

But since you're an admittedly fair-weather fan, it's OK
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#15New Post! Jun 28, 2018 @ 00:22:58
@chaski Said

Round of 16:

> Spain over Russia: I'm mostly for Spain because of that Cristiano Ronaldo's penalty kick.

While I acknowledge the greatness of Mexico, I am more of a Brazil Fan. I am in agreement with Spain over Russia.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs