Evolution and Cell Theory

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 ...6 7 8 · >>
sirkewl On July 25, 2009

None of your business, Canada
#1New Post! Apr 19, 2009 @ 22:31:48
I have a question just for Atheists.

Atheists, you say that science is on your side, because you can't observe God, and the theory that the first cell(s) were formed after millions of years of random occurance that allowed DNA to form, ect, ect, ect.

You see, I want to shed my belief in God, because I love living in truth. I want to understand the truth of everything as much as my mind can allow. But the thing is, how can the first cell just happen if all cells come from pre-existing cells - which is one of the laws of cell theory.

Quote:
https://www.bio.miami.edu/~cmallery/150/unity/cell.text.htm

The modern tenets of the Cell Theory include:
1. all known living things are made up of cells.
2. the cell is structural & functional unit of all living things.
3. all cells come from pre-existing cells by division.
(Spontaneous Generation does not occur).
4. cells contains hereditary information which is passed from
cell to cell during cell division.
5. All cells are basically the same in chemical composition.
6. all energy flow (metabolism & biochemistry) of life occurs
within cells.

Notice how a university says that spontaneous generation of cells do not occur, so cells just don't happen because millions of years made them to be replicating cells.

So the question now is, how did the first cell on earth happen, or if you e.t. believers out there, how did the first cell in the universe happen?

If all cells come from pre-existing cells, the first cell can be no different. The first cell ever to form has to be made by another living entity made up of cells, or it violates cell theory.

How can this be, since there were no cells in time before the first cell. Here's where we get into quantom physics, and the nature of the Big Bang. We know from the Big Bang Theory that the universe was created by an uncaused cause that exists outside of space-time.

So, the uncaused cause of the Big Bang must also be the uncaused cause of the first cell as well, as no cell in the universe can be created from spontaneous generation, but through pre-existing cells. Therefore the uncaused cause of the Big Bang is also a living entity, and therefore we can say, it is not a thing, but a person, a living entity.

So, at least I can sit back and say, well my idea that there is a God (a living creature) that created life, my theory doesn't violate cell theory.

However, the idea that life can from spontaneously from non-organic matter does, as cells don't spontaneously occur, and all cells come from pre-existing cells. . . Next thing I'm going to hear from you guys is that the world and life was created in fire or ice or numerous other non-scientific things!
soypuke On May 13, 2009

Deleted

#2New Post! Apr 19, 2009 @ 22:39:13
Where did god come from then?
sirkewl On July 25, 2009

#3New Post! Apr 19, 2009 @ 22:43:02
Where did the uncause cause come from. . .

The uncaused cause exists outside of space-time, and therefore has no beginning or end.

I am too limited to even comprehend such a thing, as my mind exists only in space-time, so I can never, ever, ever say where God came from, except that God exists outside of time and space, and therefore the laws of physics we know don't pertain him. . .

However, I would like to know why any of you can believe such a scientific impossibility that cells can spontaneously happen after millions of years, when cell theory clearly states all cells come from pre-existing cells. . .
soypuke On May 13, 2009

Deleted

#4New Post! Apr 19, 2009 @ 22:45:06
@sirkewl Said

Where did the uncause cause come from. . .

The uncaused cause exists outside of space-time, and therefore has no beginning or end.

I am too limited to even comprehend such a thing, as my mind exists only in space-time, so I can never, ever, ever say where God came from, except that God exists outside of time and space, and therefore no laws of physics we know don't pertain him. . .

However, I would like to know why any of you can believe such a scientific impossibility that cells can spontaneously happen after millions of years, when cell theory clearly states all cells come from pre-existing cells. . .

How can someone believe that there is a God that supposedly exists outside the space time continuum without proof of any of that?
sirkewl On July 25, 2009

#5New Post! Apr 19, 2009 @ 22:48:46
@soypuke Said

How can someone believe that there is a God that supposedly exists outside the space time continuum without proof of any of that?

LOL!

See, you have just as much proof of your idea that cells happened as I do of God creating them.

However, when you think about it scientifically, and logically, one can see that cells come from pre-existing cells, and don't form spontaneously, therefore certain ideas should be more encouraged than others in the scientific community.

As I stated before, there is no excuse for people who don't believe in God. The fact life can only come from pre-existing life shows there has to be a living thing that made all life in our universe. . .
alexkidd On February 07, 2012
Captain Awesome!

Deleted

in a bog, Ireland
#6New Post! Apr 19, 2009 @ 22:49:44
I commend your desire to get answers to your questions.

Basically, cells are not the beginning of evolution.
They are actually quite complicated and didn't just pop into existence, they are made up of complex arrangements of chemicals that evolved first.
They were likely put together through natural chemical reaction on an ancient earth as experiments have shown is possible at least for some of them.

If you wish to believe god made them you're welcome to.
Personally i do not.

The very first appearance of 'life' is still quite unknown.
soypuke On May 13, 2009

Deleted

#7New Post! Apr 19, 2009 @ 22:50:29
Who says its god then?

When did i ever say i believe the big bang theory or cell theory explains it all?

Why do believers always think atheists believe in the exact same things... thats quite sad imo
sirkewl On July 25, 2009

#8New Post! Apr 19, 2009 @ 22:52:31
@alexkidd Said

I commend your desire to get answers to your questions.

Basically, cells are not the beginning of evolution.
They are actually quite complicated and didn't just pop into existence, they are made up of complex arrangements of chemicals that evolved first.
They were likely put together through natural chemical reaction on an ancient earth as experiments have shown is possible at least for some of them.

If you wish to believe god made them you're welcome to.
Personally i do not.

The very first appearance of 'life' is still quite unknown.

But you're saying that chemicals (non-life) can become life, which is hard for me to swallow when all I see around me is that life makes life.

The only time I saw life come from lifelessness was Star Trek 2 and 3, and guess what happened in those fictional movies. . .
Captain Awesome!

Deleted

in a bog, Ireland
#9New Post! Apr 19, 2009 @ 22:59:56
@sir kewl Said

But you're saying that chemicals (non-life) can become life, which is hard for me to swallow when all I see around me is that life makes life.

The only time I saw life come from lifelessness was Star Trek 2 and 3, and guess what happened in those fictional movies. . .

Yep that's what I'm saying,
Many things in the universe are 'hard to swallow' but true none the less. As you said this is because of our experiences clouding our judgement. It is very hard to imagine things that are uncommon to the world we see today.

But consider this,
What are we made from?

We are made of chemicals, We are made of the EXACT same things as 'non-life' is. Everything is the same atoms. We know this.
When 'life' first emerged it would bear little resemblance to what we know as life today, it was basically just a few chemicals with the ability to 'reproduce'.

We don't yet know exactly how this came about, if you believe god did it that's ok. Personally i'm satisfied with 'i don't know', Its a good answer to something beyond the scope of our knowledge.
radharc On June 06, 2011

auckland, New Zealand
#10New Post! Apr 19, 2009 @ 23:08:45
a scientist put it together in a lab
Captain Awesome!

Deleted

in a bog, Ireland
#11New Post! Apr 19, 2009 @ 23:13:29
@radharc Said

a scientist put it together in a lab

Not really,
He did put together some of the amino acids that are essential for life.

...Well no,he didn't put them together, he put together a bunch of chemicals in an atmosphere that mimicked the atmosphere of an early earth befre life emerged and sat back to see what happened.

It was repeated many times as we've gained better and better knowledge of how the earth was at the time life emerged, Not quite life but an important step in showing that complex chains of chemicals can come about in a dead enviroment similar to early earth.
radharc On June 06, 2011

auckland, New Zealand
#12New Post! Apr 19, 2009 @ 23:18:19
@alexkidd Said

Not really,
He did put together some of the amino acids that are essential for life.

...Well no,he didn't put them together, he put together a bunch of chemicals in an atmosphere that mimicked the atmosphere of an early earth befre life emerged and sat back to see what happened.

It was repeated many times as we've gained better and better knowledge of how the earth was at the time life emerged, Not quite life but an important step in showing that complex chains of chemicals can come about in a dead enviroment similar to early earth.

and showed that its possible to create life
sirkewl On July 25, 2009

#13New Post! Apr 19, 2009 @ 23:55:31
Hey, if you guys still want to believe something that is against proven scientific theory, all cells come from pre-existing cells, then that's fine with me.

Wake me up when you say it was fire and ice that made the universe and life. . .
radharc On June 06, 2011

auckland, New Zealand
#14New Post! Apr 20, 2009 @ 00:01:28
@sirkewl Said

Hey, if you guys still want to believe something that is against proven scientific theory, all cells come from pre-existing cells, then that's fine with me.

Wake me up when you say it was fire and ice that made the universe and life. . .

so whats this so called god then?
Captain Awesome!

Deleted

in a bog, Ireland
#15New Post! Apr 20, 2009 @ 00:07:10
@sirkewl Said

Abiogenesis (life emerging from non-life) is not against scientific theory.
...It IS a scientific theory.

There is much evidence to support it, i've mentioned a litle above.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 ...6 7 8 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs