The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Art & Literature

Ever watched a movie, read a book, or heard a song that just ruined you??

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
rubylights On November 30, 2021

Miami, Florida
#1New Post! Jun 18, 2009 @ 05:44:33
I just finished reading 'Of Mice and Men' again. It's one of those books that just ruin the rest of your day and the remainder of the week, at least for me. Now I'm not going to be able to stop thinking about what it would be like if I were in George's shoes and how difficult it was and how sad everything turned out. Darn that John Steinbeck!!

Anyways, have you ever read a book that had that same effect on you? Or heard a song like that or something? Kind of like that song, 'Almost Lovers' or the movie Forrest Gump that just leaves you crying for a month??
rocket48 On May 23, 2013

, Texas
#2New Post! Jun 18, 2009 @ 23:09:39
Of Mice and men. That was my favorite book I read in 4th grade ( years ago). Still one my favorite.
The movie " Big Fish" a few years ago with Danny Divito. It was weird throughout the whole movie, but the ending pieced it all together really well. Mad me miss my Dad and made me want to be a better Dad for my son. I love that movie.

Miami, Florida
#3New Post! Jun 18, 2009 @ 23:30:53
@rocket48 Said

Of Mice and men. That was my favorite book I read in 4th grade ( years ago). Still one my favorite.
The movie " Big Fish" a few years ago with Danny Divito. It was weird throughout the whole movie, but the ending pieced it all together really well. Mad me miss my Dad and made me want to be a better Dad for my son. I love that movie.

Big Fish... is that the one where they guy goes to a different land with shoes hung on a line or something??
rocket48 On May 23, 2013

, Texas
#4New Post! Jun 19, 2009 @ 02:32:49
@rubylights Said

Big Fish... is that the one where they guy goes to a different land with shoes hung on a line or something??

You are so right!! Wasn't that movie strange at first and then it was WOW, that was interesting.
I need to have my son over this weekend for Father's Day and we need to watch that again. It really does have a moral to the story.
Xavery On August 15, 2023
Certifiable BOT

Big City, Canada
#5New Post! Jun 19, 2009 @ 02:43:45
I just reread Off Mice and Men and George is not your average person. Even if your best friend committed murder and you knew he could not be rehabilitated and he would have to live in "booby hatch," could you kill him?

Usually, we do not take the law into our own hands.It is not up to us to decide who should live and die.

You can argue that Curley would have killed Lennie and that it was humane for George to kill Lennie.

Still, this is not your point. You are right the story is beautifully written and the plot is rich.

Yes, it happens to me all the time, I read a book or watch a movie that is so good that all others suck in comparison for a while.
Tourist On August 04, 2009

Deleted

#6New Post! Jun 19, 2009 @ 02:49:51
Ever since seeing the movie,"It" by Stephen King I cannot stand the thought of clowns.

Miami, Florida
#7New Post! Jun 19, 2009 @ 14:32:56
@rocket48 Said

You are so right!! Wasn't that movie strange at first and then it was WOW, that was interesting.
I need to have my son over this weekend for Father's Day and we need to watch that again. It really does have a moral to the story.

to be honest cant remeber exactly how it went. i do remember it was awesome though. i think it even made me cry a bit. i hope you and your son have an awesome time watching it.

Miami, Florida
#8New Post! Jun 19, 2009 @ 14:42:54
@Xavery Said

I just reread Off Mice and Men and George is not your average person. Even if your best friend committed murder and you knew he could not be rehabilitated and he would have to live in "booby hatch," could you kill him?

Usually, we do not take the law into our own hands.It is not up to us to decide who should live and die.

You can argue that Curley would have killed Lennie and that it was humane for George to kill Lennie.

Still, this is not your point. You are right the story is beautifully written and the plot is rich.

Yes, it happens to me all the time, I read a book or watch a movie that is so good that all others suck in comparison for a while.

of course anyone would have the same thougts. it was his best friend after all. but rememer that Curley was urging everyone to 'shoot for the gut' because they wanted to have Lennie lynched. It is very tough obviously. but even more so for him. i bet he looked at Lennie like something of a son. it would suck for him if he could have saved Lennie from gettig shot in the gut and lynched but chose not to do it because it would have been too hard for him. that would have been kind of selfish dont you think? im sure that to George that seemed the only plausibe alternative to watching his 'son' be tortured.
Certifiable BOT

Big City, Canada
#9New Post! Jun 19, 2009 @ 23:20:46
I agree that George was Lennie's loving caretake and tremendously loyal to Lennie and that when he killed Lennie it was similar to Carlson shooting Candy's old dog in the back in the head. It was mercy killing. He probably would have had to watch someone else kill Lennie.

I still think it is very unusual. Could you kill someone you thought of as a son even as an act of mercy?

Let's face it George Milton was a totally believable character, however, there are few people like him in the real world. For one thing, he was taking care of Lennie in the first place.

Lennie was believable, too, but how many people do you know that are strong enough to hold onto a man's hand and break all the bones in it? How many men do you know who are fixated with touching soft animals and then accidentally kill them?

Miami, Florida
#10New Post! Jun 19, 2009 @ 23:30:22
@Xavery Said

I still think it is very unusual. Could you kill someone you thought of as a son even as an act of mercy?

Let's face it George Milton was a totally believable character, however, there are few people like him in the real world. For one thing, he was taking care of Lennie in the first place.

Well, you have to remember it was a completely different time. Maybe there aren't a lot of people like that nowadays but there might have been at least a few back in the early 1900s. There was only one other like him in this book, which makes me think that there weren't many, but they existed. See, Slim had a lot in common with George as far as being wise and brave. It certainly took a lot of bravery to shoot someone he loved, just to protect him. It might have been easier for him to let Curley deal with him and just turn his back and not watch, but he did what was in Lennie's best interest, even though I'm sure it hurt him more than any of us could ever understand. But Slim understood too, so it does prove that there were at least some people like George in those days.

Quote:
Lennie was believable, too, but how many people do you know that are strong enough to hold onto a man's hand and break all the bones in it? How many men do you know who are fixated with touching soft animals and then accidentally kill them?

Lennie was crazy. lol. There's no explaining it. He was just crazy. And really, really big.
Certifiable BOT

Big City, Canada
#11New Post! Jun 20, 2009 @ 00:12:43
Yes, I agree that George did the right thing but if I were in his shoes, I doubt I could do what he did.

Lennie was good natured. A gentle giant . . . most of the time. I think he probably had some sort of neurological injury. He may have been what we refer to as Autistic today since he was fixated on soft things.

One thing is for certain there would be nothing to stop him from killing again because he couldn't control his own strength.
Dawn_Key On January 07, 2010

Deleted
Banned

#12New Post! Jun 25, 2009 @ 05:27:48
@rubylights Said

I just finished reading 'Of Mice and Men' again. It's one of those books that just ruin the rest of your day and the remainder of the week, at least for me. Now I'm not going to be able to stop thinking about what it would be like if I were in George's shoes and how difficult it was and how sad everything turned out. Darn that John Steinbeck!!

Anyways, have you ever read a book that had that same effect on you? Or heard a song like that or something? Kind of like that song, 'Almost Lovers' or the movie Forrest Gump that just leaves you crying for a month??

My Brothers Keeper...can't remember the author though ...and the other one is "Let's Go Play At The Adams" by Mendal Jonstone... ...
...The first because it takes a totally realistic situation and doesn't in any way blow it out off proportion to the way that a lot of lives may EVENTUALLY end up ..scary to say the least}

And the second because of the inconclusive ending that leaves the reader thinking about "how it should have ended"
both have been books that have left the classic "what if" in the mind of the reader and pervades the thought processes of everyday life long after the book has been put down...

..Personnally I consider such material as "bastards" purely on the strength that they won't leave my brain alone even several days after reading the final chapter...wish that I were capable of penning such thought provoking and mind invasive material...I will, however suffice with my own revamped versions of the Duchess of Yorks "Budgie the Helicopter" in the hope that I might stumble upon an "Illuminati" conclusion...whaddya think

Miami, Florida
#13New Post! Jun 26, 2009 @ 14:10:36
@derekdg Said

My Brothers Keeper...can't remember the author though ...and the other one is "Let's Go Play At The Adams" by Mendal Jonstone... ...
...The first because it takes a totally realistic situation and doesn't in any way blow it out off proportion to the way that a lot of lives may EVENTUALLY end up ..scary to say the least}

And the second because of the inconclusive ending that leaves the reader thinking about "how it should have ended"
both have been books that have left the classic "what if" in the mind of the reader and pervades the thought processes of everyday life long after the book has been put down...

..Personnally I consider such material as "bastards" purely on the strength that they won't leave my brain alone even several days after reading the final chapter...wish that I were capable of penning such thought provoking and mind invasive material...I will, however suffice with my own revamped versions of the Duchess of Yorks "Budgie the Helicopter" in the hope that I might stumble upon an "Illuminati" conclusion...whaddya think

i think youll do great. i cant wait to read it. make sue you let us know when it gets published.
amelie3 On March 07, 2010

Sydney, Australia
#14New Post! Jul 03, 2009 @ 07:19:01
@rubylights Said

Don't know what happened to my OP, sorry.
yes, mice and men was a bit of a bummer. Many books and films are these days - the more 'real' our art gets, the less likely we are to find escapism of solace in it, in my opinion.
sureideas On July 06, 2009

cochin, India
#15New Post! Jul 03, 2009 @ 07:29:47
Harry Potter for sure. I know I will get flamed for this but hey, there is freedom of speech.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs